Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Given they don't happen very often, at least around here, they are probably low on the list. No right on red signs should be way higher on the list.

Given what most signs like that look like in HW3 cameras vs in HW4 ones I'm not sure I'd hold my breath for significant additional sign reading coming to HW3. I suppose right on red would be among the easier ones since at least in theory the car isn't moving when it reads it?

Seems to me that's a BAD sign for 11.4.7. If it was close to ready why would they roll 11.4.4 to a bunch of cars instead?

Reactions: Acisplat
Interesting episode titled "The Self-Driving Experiment" from the Land of the Giants podcast: ‎Land of the Giants: The Self-Driving Experiment on Apple Podcasts

It highlights Tesla's FSD, what we were promised, and where things stand today. I'd say their experience testing FSD Beta it is similar to mine.

Summary of the episode if you don't want to spend the time listening to it is also available here.

Interesting episode titled "The Self-Driving Experiment" from the Land of the Giants podcast: ‎Land of the Giants: The Self-Driving Experiment on Apple Podcasts

It highlights Tesla's FSD, what we were promised, and where things stand today. I'd say their experience testing FSD Beta it is similar to mine.

Summary of the episode if you don't want to spend the time listening to it is also available here.
Tesla has so much riding on FSD's success. Gotta wonder if Elon transitioned from an honest 'cup half full' personality to a desperate opportunistic liar.

Given what most signs like that look like in HW3 cameras vs in HW4 ones I'm not sure I'd hold my breath for significant additional sign reading coming to HW3. I suppose right on red would be among the easier ones since at least in theory the car isn't moving when it reads it?

Seems to me that's a BAD sign for 11.4.7. If it was close to ready why would they roll 11.4.4 to a bunch of cars instead?
There's no evidence that FSD Beta can read any signs outside of speed and it's not likely reading it, just recognizing the pattern of the numbers trained in to their model.

The reason I say this is because almost every "No right of red" is different, so that would be extremely difficult to do. I think they were attempting to solve this with the car's reported map data and user interactions, but that's not a solution you could push out globally.

It's not impossible to program every single no right on red variant, including ones with specific times, but I would guess it's ridiculously low on the priority as it's not actual FSD and given that School Zones or specialty speed limits haven't been programmed in, nor bus stops, I think it's unlikely we see it for a while.

I agree about 11.4.7, too.

There's no evidence that FSD Beta can read any signs outside of speed and it's not likely reading it, just recognizing the pattern of the numbers trained in to their model.
I'm curious about its ability to recognize speed signs. In a recent road trip in BC, Canada, FSD Beta often didn't detect speed limit changes. This was especially true for temporary speed limit signs in construction zones (even though they used the exact same signs), but it seemed to also happen occasionally with permanent speed limit signs.

There's no evidence that FSD Beta can read any signs outside of speed and it's not likely reading it, just recognizing the pattern of the numbers trained in to their model.....
....and Stop signs. ;) Also I remember a video with a non standard speed limit sign of 12MPH and FSD Beta identified it as 15MPH. So saying it "reads" is anthropomorphism.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I'm curious about its ability to recognize speed signs. In a recent road trip in BC, Canada, FSD Beta often didn't detect speed limit changes. This was especially true for temporary speed limit signs in construction zones, but it seemed to also happen occasionally with permanent speed limit signs.
They have to be a certain size and color to work, but there's plenty of test proving it does.

My car has picked up a speed limit from the back of a semi that had a perfect sign and changed it's speed because of it. People have also fooled FSD with take on a Speed Limit sign.

Yep. I listened to the first 10 mins or so and their FSD test drive was the same as mine. Lots of interventions and missing the mark of a reliable, relaxed safe drive.

Expecting a software company to release new versions of software within couple weeks is not realistic.
We should not act like kids asking their mom to give uncooked food then complain the food is bad.
Serious software development needs time to test.

To be fair, Elon originally said FSD Beta would get a new update every two weeks. That didn't last long, but the expectation is driven by Elon continuously saying a new update is coming, when it doesn't, coupled with bad experiences with the current build.