Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Although 11.4.7 did better on my left turn at a 4 way stop test, overall it is a fail. Twice I have used it to drive a route that is less than a mile and both times it has disengaged doing a generic left turn that it has always done before. As always there are also two spots where without fail the car thinks the speed limit is 60mph where it should be 35-40mph tops. Yes that is a mapping error but still scary every time. This is one instance where version 12 might work better as no-one drives 60 in those areas. Not sure if 12 will also take speed driven into context for a certain road or not.

Reactions: jebinc
As the video mentions, this is not the first time Tesla fails to recognize an emergency vehicle. And then there is another infamous video where it fails to recognize a child mannequin, and a video from the UK where the car refuses to see a red garbage bin that's right in front of it, and I am sure plenty others.

You're citing old incidents that happened prior to Tesla Vision where Tesla had radar (hitting emergency vehicles, because radar cannot detect stopped vehicles), and staged pieces where a competing autonomous software development firm dragged baby-dolls across the road in an attempt to show FSD Beta was dangerous.

Don't believe uncontrolled "experiments" run by competitors, look at how auto-regulators test and rate Tesla Vision:

Just to add to the dry wiping saga. I know many have said and I also kinda thought that low sunlight directly in the windshield was a culprit. But as stated Saturday I had it happening driving west in the morning. This morning in the shadow of high-rises I turned on FSD Beta and it started intermittent dry wiping. When I turned a corner and headed straight into the low sun they stoped and didn't dry wipe again. There just seems to be no pattern to the madness.

I guess "Deep Rain" is now "Deep Dry". So Tesla get "Deep Dry" working or allow us to turn them off.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
A couple of updates.

On 11.4.7 HW4, my automatic wipers no longer work at all. Additionally, my car stopped at a stop sign that it has never stopped at before; I would always have to intervene at this intersection. I remember thinking… wait… is the car actually slowing down here? LOL. I have become accoustomed to intervening so often in the same places that when something different happens, it feels like Bill Murray in the movie “Groundhog Day” where he says something to the effect of:

“Something’s different. Anything different is good”

:)

Uh what? How is this different? Why would I want an LED in my left A-Pillar when I’m moving to the right lane? Please tell me what are these 90% of cars that have this “feature”? I’ve never driven one, that’s for sure, and I’ve driven a lot of cars.
So there’s only on LED for both sides? I thought there was one on each pillar. In that case it is a stupid design. It’s akin to having to look at the screen to the right when you’re trying to check for a car to your left. Baffling that they wouldn’t spend an extra $10 to put an LED on the right side, too. The one positive thing I can think of is that the blind spot on your left is much bigger than on your right (indeed, it’s almost nonexistent on the right,) but that’s really a stretch.

Mostly I agree that 11.4.7 is very similar to 11.4.4. I don't see anything solved regarding incorrect lane change attempts or transient signaling. However I have had a couple of degradations:
It’s hard to actually quantify but IME the transient signaling is actually improved a bit in 11.4.7. It still happens but usually it’s just a single flash rather than multiple flashes, FWIW.

Reactions: Dennisis and Pdubs
I’ve noticed something new with 11.4.7. On 3 or 4 occasions when the car was slowing down for a new speed limit the display that shows the set speed (e.g. 50 MAX) changes so that both the number and ’MAX’ are blue. The number will then decrease incrementally to the appropriate speed. so instead of dropping from 55 directly down to 40 it will do 50…45…40. Once it’s down at the appropriate speed the numbers turn black again. I’ve only noticed this in larger speed drops, > 5 MPH so I’m not sure if it’s just trying to more clearly illustrate that it’s slowing down or doing it more gradually, or if it’s something else

Reactions: Pdubs and JohnB007
So there’s only on[e] LED for both sides?
Red for car in left blindspot and green for car in right blindspot. No good if you're color blind.

The manual says its in the speaker grill of the driver door. However, I am willing to bet there's an led in each pillar because the early info we have is not complete.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Red for car in left blindspot and green for car in right blindspot. No good if you're color blind.

The manual says its in the speaker grill of the driver door. However, I am willing to bet there's a led in each pillar because the early info we have is not complete.
Ok - do this is a planned feature and all this is speculation? I was under the impression it was already out in new cars.

Clearly I don’t have enough information to comment on Tesla‘s system at this point but in general:
- it’s possible for people with red-green colorblindness to see some shades of green. They put some blue int he green for traffic lights precisely for this reason.
- in my mind there’s little practical difference between an LED in the mirror and an LED on the A pillar next to the mirror.
- any system should be readily visible when lookin gin the direction of the relevant blind spot So it complements the natural actions one takes when checkiing hte mirrors and looking out the side window. This was the critical flaw of the repeater camera system Tesla (and Honda in the past) implemented. It forced people to look away from where they should be looking.

Reactions: Pdubs and JHCCAZ
Rumor has it that Elon wanted to shock people's left butt cheek (through electrodes in the seat) for cars in the RIGHT blind spot, and shock people's right butt cheek for cars in the LEFT blind spot. Elon has a rare butt-cheek dyslexia.

I heard that Elon's suggestion was shot down by Tesla Legal because they could not figure out how to name the feature with an "X" in it with the word "Butt" without potentially offending customers.

The manual says its in the speaker grill of the driver door. However, I am willing to bet there's an led in each pillar because the early info we have is not complete.

Rumor has it that Elon wanted to shock people's left butt cheek (through electrodes in the seat) for cars in the RIGHT blind spot, and shock people's right butt cheek for cars in the LEFT blind spot. Elon has a rare butt-cheek dyslexia.

I heard that Elon's suggestion was shot down by Tesla Legal because they could not figure out how to name the feature with an "X" in it with the word "Butt" without potentially offending customers.
Hold on to your ButtX?

Why are the wipers going when it is cloudy and overcast with no rain at all and I’m getting the full self driving may be worse due to weather message and you can’t turn off the wipers to boot. Awful
Same here. Overcast day, wipers randomly come on from time to time. The message is showing up because the wipers are on, it assumes it’s raining. “Artificial intelligence”.

Why are the wipers going when it is cloudy and overcast with no rain at all and I’m getting the full self driving may be worse due to weather message and you can’t turn off the wipers to boot. Awful
Same thing happening to me in Seattle this evening. Overcast, wipers came on the second I left the driveway and started down my road. FFS, Tesla.

Reactions: jebinc
Yikes, I was at a T intersection tonight where the left and right traffic in front of me did not stop but they did have a turning lane. I was stopped at the T.
My FSD 11.4.7 2017 X tried to pull out in front of a car that was moving right to the left in front of me. Hard braking required or certainly an accident.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056