Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
If you have FSD with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, then TACC will stop at signals and stop signs. It just won't steer for you.

If you don't have FSD, then neither TACC nor Autosteer are meant to respond to stop signals in normal driving - however I believe that it will throw a panic alert and apply emergency braking if you have a lapse and you blow through the stop. In the latter emergency case, you can force it to keep going if you apply the accelerator pedal.

At least, the above is how I think it works. I haven't driven without active FSD features for a long time now.
You are right, I normally just stop it and never let it proceeds, as I don't know what it will actually do. I tested it briefly a moment ago, it did stop at a stop sign, but certainly other behaviors are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHCCAZ
The 2023.44.30 notes from a 2021 Model Y differ a little from what Tesla announced (*Availability varies by model and location). Some are obvious like rear touchscreen not available for the Y, and maybe 7 camera sentry view might be hardware dependent too?

But most notably "High Fidelity Park Assist" could depend on FSD Capability and/or hardware? I suppose it could also be a special holiday update entry only for those that have been on 2023.27.x?

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I love conspiracy theories, but I don't believe them. It is the sociology of them that intrigues.

It looks like to me like there is a cottage industry of bashing Tesla/Musk. It may be a combination of short sellers, frightened competitors, and misinformation clickbait mongers (I'd include WaPo in that category, sadly.) Google actually sends a slice of advertiser $$$ to sites which generate clicks, and "Tesla crashed, caught fire" sure generates a lot of clicks, even if details are similar to James Dean, long before Tesla - one student driver, the other speeding. (Populist politicians also have long taken advantage of the power of what we now call click bate, but Google and social media opened the game to anyone willing to tell a lie in exchange for $$.)

In this environment, the irrationality you describe may be the flavor of bait which rules the attraction.

The fact is that every time we get in a car we take a risk. How soothing it seems to be able to blame a type of car we don't own for the danger... Is this what psychologists call displacement?
Elon also does his best to be bashable.

You are right, I normally just stop it and never let it proceeds, as I don't know what it will actually do. I tested it briefly a moment ago, it did stop at a stop sign, but certainly other behaviors are different.
BTW another tip I found: if you're navigating to a destination and you switch from Autosteer to TACC, it will slow down and try to stop for a planned turn, even though it won't make the turn for you.

I have a place where I want to proceed straight and go right at the next light, instead of taking the right at the light always routed by the software. But if I'm in TACC. I have to force it it through the intersection by overriding with the accelerator pedal.

For this case and others like it, the best solution is to stay in FSD Autosteer but cancel the navigation (i.e. remove the destination). This normally causes it simply to follow the current road, obeying lights and traffic needs but without trying to turn. (There is a possibility it could decide to turn or exit to take a more major road that crosses your route, but I find this is rarely an issue.)

For me, It's actually one of the most pleasant modes of FSD because in my experience, it also suppresses all of the frustrating unnwanted lane-change attempts "To Follow Route", and many if not all of the ill-advised attempts to change out of the current lane for other reasons - it just drives along, happy and true.

I then reactivate navigation while remaining an FSD, by pulling up the saved destination, when I know the necessary turn is upcoming.

Teslafi is showing a large number of installs of 2023.44.1 but has it listed as FSD 11.4.4, not 11.4.9. I seriously doubt there would be much difference between 11.4.8 and 11.4.9, anyway.

View attachment 999837
We aren't talking about that version. We are talking about 2023.44.30.1; only 28 installs with 493 pending:

1702683963100.png

Check me on this. I am looking at the early installs of 2023.44.30.1 and the previous versions being updated.

The numbers are growing rapidly, but so far 49 are updates to 2023.44.1 (11.4.4) which was a recent production release, not FSD beta testers.

Another 13 are from 2023.27.12 (11.4.8.1) which was the latest FSD beta tester release.

The release notes say that 2023.44.30.1 includes FSD 11.4.9

So both "normal" users and Beta testers are getting the same release.

Does this mean the test program is ending? Or am I missing something?

Do people recall what happened for last year's holiday update? I believe FSD Beta "early access" stayed on separate software track with 2022.44.25.5 / FSD Beta 10.69.25 while the main line software without FSD Beta got 2022.44.25.1. But I thought there was some intermediate software small rollout that "early access" joined then later split off around that time too, so even with this year's holiday update combining tracks with a shared 11.4.9, it might not be the end of "early access?"

Presumably Tesla has wanted to merge the two for a while as I'm sure they get plenty of complaints about 2023.7.x and 2023.27.x being stuck behind new features on the main line. I suppose they could test FSD Beta v12 on some smaller audience like any other rollout, e.g., 2023.44.30.1 going to a small percentage of the fleet so far.

Reactions: FSDtester#1