Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Today we have clear sky but when I tried to engage FSD, then it says "Autosteer temporarily not available" , the cameras are clean and I used it last night without any issue. Then I realize there is no "grey" steering wheel on the instrument cluster and the visualization didn't show vehicles only and no lane markings and this is in the usual neighborhood. I have tried reboot but same error, next will try calibrate cameras or wait then will open ticket. Has anyone seen this before?
I've had similar issue when the forward cameras had condensation behind the windshield. Cleared up after tha car had time to warm up and the condensation evaporated.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I also performed an interesting test. I took a picture with my hand resting over the wheel, printed the image in high resolution color, cut out my paper “hand” (1:1 scale) bent around the top of the center of the yoke pad, just like real life, to see if the camera could be fooled. It was not fooled at all.

I wonder if the camera has IR capability.
JWardell · Aug 4, 2021
Tesla added infrared LEDs over the in-cabin camera to assist the autopilot computer in identifying driving attention in dark environments in the 2021 refresh S&X.
Apparently it was added to 3/Y production a few weeks ago as well.
Hopefully it will soon be used to enhance (or maybe replace?) the need to torque the wheel to confirm the driver is paying attention.

Professor: Yes, of course! The Holy FSD-Junk of Fremont! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Ramphex carries with him. Brother Ramphex! Bring up the Holy FSD-Junk of Fremont!

[Brother Ramphex chants as he brings up the Holy FSD.]

Tesla Motors Club Members: Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.

Brother rsld: How does it, um—how does it work?

FSDtester#1: I know not, my liege.

PACEMD: Consult the Book of Snake Oil!

Brother fasteddie7: Snake Oil, Chapter Two, Verses Nine to Twenty-One.

Brother jebinc: And Saint Holzhausen raised the Junk up on high, saying, "O Lord Muskedine, bless this Thy Junk that, with it, Thou mayest kill thine crash thine Tesla owners to tiny bits in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin, and The people did drool at the thought of V12. Yea verily, thou shall be blessed beyond your years if thou mayest tr…

Brother WilliamG: Skip a bit, Brother.

Brother sleepydoc: And Lord Muskedine spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Chariot of Electron Fire. Then, shalt thou count to 69. No more. No less. 69 shalt be the number thou shalt pull, and the number of the pulling shalt be 69. 70 shalt thou not pull, nor either pull thou 68, excepting that thou then proceed to 69. 71 is right out. Once the number 68, being the 69th number, be reached, then thou shall watch thy Holy Chariot of Electron Fire drive to towards thy innocent, who, being naughty in the sight of Lord Muskedine, shall snuff it."

Brother MP3Mike : Amen.

Tesla Motors Club Monks: Amen.

Professor: Right! One... two... three… four…five…six…seven…eight…nine…10…11…12…13…14…15…16…

[skipping ahead a bit]

Professor: 67…68… 70…

Brother Sam1: 69, sir!

Professor: 69!

[FSD-Junk Starts, angels sing, and the FSD-Junk doth explode.]

Fade to Black

I'm having big problems with the Single Pull. It appears the software didn't install properly since my brain is still using Double Pull. Is this a known bug and will Tesla offer a brain update to correct this?

rlsd: I did quadruple pull and it has no effect :)

An observation about how FSD and AP use map data.

A stop sign was installed at a washout on a nearby road, and the stop was removed when the road was repaired.

I drove this stretch of road on both FSD and AP as part of my evaluation of 2023.44.30.5.1, and learned that AutoPilot still engages on this segment of non-limited access road, but it now nags more than it used to. FSD still drive the twisty road much better than AP.

Anyway, while doing these drives, I noticed that the no-longer-there stop sign is visualized when running the AP only software, but not when running the FSD version. Also, when the beta stop-sign and stop light feature is enabled on AP, it stops at the location of the missing stop sign. FSD does not stop there.

FSD does, however, stop at a different location of a recently removed stop sign which is visualized as we approach the no-longer extant sign.

So, these two software versions use different sets of map data. This seems strange to me, and potentially provides a clue for folks trying to figure out how map data is used by these systems. Either system is happy to ignore the phantom signs if prodded by the accelerator.

Today we have clear sky but when I tried to engage FSD, then it says "Autosteer temporarily not available" , the cameras are clean and I used it last night without any issue. Then I realize there is no "grey" steering wheel on the instrument cluster and the visualization didn't show vehicles only and no lane markings and this is in the usual neighborhood. I have tried reboot but same error, next will try calibrate cameras or wait then will open ticket. Has anyone seen this before?
Check your autopilot settings and make sure you are using the right profile

Reactions: Pdubs
Professor: Yes, of course! The Holy FSD-Junk of Fremont! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Ramphex carries with him. Brother Ramphex! Bring up the Holy FSD-Junk of Fremont!

Tesla Motors Club Members: Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem. Pie Iesu domine, dona eis requiem.

Brother jebinc: And Saint Holzhausen raised the Junk up on high, saying, "O Lord Muskedine, bless this Thy Junk that, with it, Thou mayest kill thine crash thine Tesla owners to tiny bits in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin, and The people did drool at the thought of V12. Yea verily, thou shall be blessed beyond your years if thou mayest tr…

Brother sleepydoc: And Lord Muskedine spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Chariot of Electron Fire. Then, shalt thou count to 69. No more. No less. 69 shalt be the number thou shalt pull, and the number of the pulling shalt be 69. 70 shalt thou not pull, nor either pull thou 68, excepting that thou then proceed to 69. 71 is right out. Once the number 68, being the 69th number, be reached, then thou shall watch thy Holy Chariot of Electron Fire drive to towards thy innocent, who, being naughty in the sight of Lord Muskedine, shall snuff it."

Professor: Right! One... two... three… four…five…six…seven…eight…nine…10…11…12…13…14…15…16…

[skipping ahead a bit]

Fade to Black

I’ll have what you’re having, Joe! 🤣

[skipping ahead a bit]

Fade to Black

I would like to nominate this post as funniest of 2023...
Frigging hilarious 😂!!

So your complete evaluation of FSD is based on a single turn into your neighborhood? Is it possible that there might be other improvements aside from your single use case evaluation before determining its worse? Not saying your one issue isn’t real but it seems very specific and limited.
Yes it is based on simple limited stuff because if it can't do that stuff then I am not interested. That is just me. I have a lot of respect for all those beta testers who are hopefully helping debug the system and go through all the scary frustrating moments. If FSD was offered for free in beta version then I might have more interest in improving it, but since I paid big bucks to Tesla they can use my money to fix the bugs. In the meantime I will enjoy a smooth ride with me driving and test the new FSD versions as they come out. Once one comes out that can ace my short simple driving route then I will get a LOT more interested.

Yes it is based on simple limited stuff because if it can't do that stuff then I am not interested. That is just me. I have a lot of respect for all those beta testers who are hopefully helping debug the system and go through all the scary frustrating moments. If FSD was offered for free in beta version then I might have more interest in improving it, but since I paid big bucks to Tesla they can use my money to fix the bugs. In the meantime I will enjoy a smooth ride with me driving and test the new FSD versions as they come out. Once one comes out that can ace my short simple driving route then I will get a LOT more interested.
X2

[skipping ahead a bit]

Fade to Black

I sincerely don’t know how you do it, but once again literally took the words right out of my mouth.

I have no idea what kind of 11.4.9 y'all's are driving, but my Model Y HW3, 11.4.9 is soooo good, like a quantum leap over 11.4.7.3, 11.4.9 has so many little improvements
Like what? Flagship Model S makes turns to random streets when GPS clearly indicates to go straight 🤨