Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Must admit to be very wary of V11 and it being updated to single stack.
After many years of highway driving on AP/NOA it has been pretty darned good overall, well worth its asking price.
The last year of driving with the FSDb stack has been opposite. Its been getting better and better for sure, but its definitely not at the comfort level of AP.
Now, on V11, highway driving will be under the control of the stack I trust the least. So now my highway driving will need the constant, scared, level of attention that FSDb does.
That isn't an attractive proposition for me. I dread the idea of making long journeys needing higher level of attention than driving myself.

Must admit to be very wary of V11 and it being updated to single stack.
After many years of highway driving on AP/NOA it has been pretty darned good overall, well worth its asking price.
The last year of driving with the FSDb stack has been opposite. Its been getting better and better for sure, but its definitely not at the comfort level of AP.
Now, on V11, highway driving will be under the control of the stack I trust the least. So now my highway driving will need the constant, scared, level of attention that FSDb does.
That isn't an attractive proposition for me. I dread the idea of making long journeys needing higher level of attention than driving myself.
As @AlanSubie4Life has pointed out a few times, FSD Beta does quite well going straight. Highway/freeway driving is mostly going straight. What we don't know at this point is how it will handle NoA settings. If we have NoA set to disable speed-based lane changes, will the single-stack option ignore those settings in favor of its modes? I run in Chill mode, which minimizes speed-based lane changes on city streets, but on the freeway I have it disabled as SoCal freeways are usually crowded and I don't want the car darting back and forth. I'm hopeful that single stack will keep the highway/freeway NoA settings, but only time will tell.

As @AlanSubie4Life has pointed out a few times, FSD Beta does quite well going straight. Highway/freeway driving is mostly going straight. What we don't know at this point is how it will handle NoA settings. If we have NoA set to disable speed-based lane changes, will the single-stack option ignore those settings in favor of its modes? I run in Chill mode, which minimizes speed-based lane changes on city streets, but on the freeway I have it disabled as SoCal freeways are usually crowded and I don't want the car darting back and forth. I'm hopeful that single stack will keep the highway/freeway NoA settings, but only time will tell.
In Texas, NOA is used much more than on limited access roads. Outside of city limits, roads with 65+ mph speed limits will activate NOA. I regularly drive on two-lane 75 mph roads with NOA. These are roads with lots of cross streets, so you must be vigilant to cars slowing to turn off the highway as well as cars turning onto the highway and, of course, those just crossing. Generally, traffic lights are not an issue. FSDb generally takes over before a traffic light is encountered. When NOA does have to slow way down, it is very sluggish to speed back up unless you use the accelerator to get the car back up to 55 mph, or so.

I am very interested to see how V11 FSD handles these situations. It is curious that V11 is taking so long to be released given that NOA is supposedly so much simpler. Apparently it's not as simple as it appears.

I am concerned about the car getting the freeway onramp speed limit completely wrong. Here in Bellevue WA the car insists that the 60mph freeway must the travelled at 25mph for the first half mile and then 40 for the next half mile before getting it right at 60mph. This is extremely dangerous considering that most people don't even observe the 60mph limil and often are traveling at 70-80.

From my interpretation the v11 is already shipped but just waiting to be activated. Here are two photos I've taken from my MYLR 2022. Context: (night theme pic) my car upgrading from FSD to latest regular release channel yesterday, as I do not have an active FSD subscription at the time. I've done it several times in the past with hiatus ranging from days to months when FSD do not have exciting news, and the FSD channel was never taken away from me. This is the first time. (day theme pic) after update my car shows software version "V11".

What would be your explanation?
IMG_1695.jpeg
IMG_1698.jpeg

From my interpretation the v11 is already shipped but just waiting to be activated. Here are two photos I've taken from my MYLR 2022. Context: (night theme pic) my car upgrading from FSD to latest regular release channel yesterday, as I do not have an active FSD subscription at the time. I've done it several times in the past with hiatus ranging from days to months when FSD do not have exciting news, and the FSD channel was never taken away from me. This is the first time. (day theme pic) after update my car shows software version "V11".

View attachment 877959View attachment 877961
11 is the current non-FSD beta version, released late last year. Just a coincidence they are the same number.

View attachment 877959View attachment 877961
The v11.0 refers to the GUI version that was in last year's holiday release. Your car does not have FSD beta yet.

I'd mostly agree with that, except that FSD'b can't keep itself in one lane for too long and insists on changing lanes, only to change back again 20 seconds later.
Looks like you run similar setting to me, sadly with little effect on the random lane changes.
As @Supcom mentioned, here in Texas we have many roads that are 60+ so getting the FSDb ridiculous lane choice ability on high speed roads is not a good mix.
At least on the highway, when I'm monitoring the automation rather than driving, I can pay attention to all the things that AP/FSD can't see far enough ahead to notice.

I'd mostly agree with that, except that FSD'b can't keep itself in one lane for too long and insists on changing lanes, only to change back again 20 seconds later.
Looks like you run similar setting to me, sadly with little effect on the random lane changes.
As @Supcom mentioned, here in Texas we have many roads that are 60+ so getting the FSDb ridiculous lane choice ability on high speed roads is not a good mix.
At least on the highway, when I'm monitoring the automation rather than driving, I can pay attention to all the things that AP/FSD can't see far enough ahead to notice.
I’m also concerned about this. I’m hoping that since Elon drives in Texas (I think?), it’s an issue he understands and will get handled in v11.

FSD'b can't keep itself in one lane for too long and insists on changing lanes, only to change back again 20 seconds later
The quality of FSD Beta deciding when to change lanes depends on the context. If it believes there's an upcoming turn based on map data, that's probably less of an issue for Navigate on Autopilot highways as the lanes data is generally more accurate as well as lower density of intersections. If the lane change is for a path blockage, seems like FSD Beta 11 already has specific behavior to switch out of closed lanes faster and better offsetting for partially blocked lanes. For speed based lane changes, it seems like CHILL will be less sensitive to slower traffic but probably no way to disable like the current NoA button initially.

The quality of FSD Beta deciding when to change lanes depends on the context. If it believes there's an upcoming turn based on map data, that's probably less of an issue for Navigate on Autopilot highways as the lanes data is generally more accurate as well as lower density of intersections. If the lane change is for a path blockage, seems like FSD Beta 11 already has specific behavior to switch out of closed lanes faster and better offsetting for partially blocked lanes. For speed based lane changes, it seems like CHILL will be less sensitive to slower traffic but probably no way to disable like the current NoA button initially.
I'd like to think that too, but anytime I've mentioned it here before and use Chill all the time, never bothered with assertive though, its bad enough on chill :D
But the constant lane changing is different, it isn't about avoiding traffic. I thought maybe it was for upcoming junctions or a mapping error, but it happens on perfectly straight roads that haven't changed in years with no junctions ahead and almost no traffic. Its also something that is new and didn't appear on other FSDb releases.
NoA at least has confirmation, FSDb just does it without asking. Great at 30mph, not so much at 70mph
Thankfully I keep very close attention so the car never makes it out of the lane, but it still signals which confuses the hell out of other road users and is uncomfortable for my passengers.

I’m also concerned about this. I’m hoping that since Elon drives in Texas (I think?), it’s an issue he understands and will get handled in v11.
I'm sure he does drive here, but I'm guessing he never drives on roads like 290, 71 or 79.
If he did, he'd know how much of a PITA it is when FSDb treats flashing yellow warning lights like traffic lights on a 70mph road.
Maybe his driving style is to always be in the left lane anyway :)

Also am I the only one who "naturally" lost FSD access due to subscription hiatus?
I lost it too...updated to the latest. Subscribed again but no dice after the update, Request - Safety Score stuff again.

I cancelled again, rather wait for the Beta build to match before I pay for it.

Seems odd Elon would state fully available when its not for a large percentage. Should have waited till v11.

Perhaps thats the Holiday release.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ