Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
(Moderator note: For the author, let’s try to keep content appropriate for all ages here. For readers, learn to recognize sarcasm.)
Wrong. Texting is 6 times worse than DUI. Stop encouraging people to text while driving. That's horribly irresponsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I can take a joke, and I get the humor in this. But maybe if your son had died in a car accident, like mine did, you wouldn't find it quite as funny, or laugh at those that get offended. People suck at driving even when they're NOT blatantly distracted. The sooner AV's can reliably take over, the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this is a regional preference and/or depends on road design? Around here people just do not do this.

You can but the normal way to merge is to smoothly move left as soon as possible. If you just hang out in the merge lane as long as possible until the right lane line bumps you in, it's harsher merge than necessary. There's usually bit of loose dirt and debris at the end, showing how people avoid that area.
Yep. It's a balance between being thoughtfully safe, assertive, and robotic. Distracted drivers or aggressive drivers might see it coming and slam the door. Unfortunately in this case there's no more room to maneuver so it forces a hard brake at the moment of entering the merged lane. Safely take the opening when it's there not when the merge lane ends.

There's an art to onramp merging and as expected the team's first attempt will need some fine tuning.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394
I wonder if this is a regional preference and/or depends on road design?

There's usually bit of loose dirt and debris at the end, showing how people avoid that area.
Yeah just a road design thing.

On freeway merges I don’t find the loose dirt and debris to be a thing in California at typical merges.

There are definitely lots of different merge designs and getting in earlier certainly makes sense on some of those.

But on tapering ones around here assuming there is no traffic I never feel the need to merge in early. Just let the right lane line guide me to the lane.

Obviously completely different strategies apply with traffic.

tapering ones around here assuming there is no traffic I never feel the need to merge in early. Just let the right lane line guide me to the lane.

I think Colorado might just have dumb road designs! 😄

Most merges here just don't taper in. The right lane merge lane edge is straight-ish until it ends and then fairly abruptly shifts left. Are we shocked FSD works better with CA road design? No

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Honestly, I can take a joke, and I get the humor in this. But maybe if your son had died in a car accident, like mine did, you wouldn't find it quite as funny, or laugh at those that get offended. People suck at driving even when they're NOT blatantly distracted. The sooner AV's can reliably take over, the better!
Was he texting?

Trolling? Ok…. I’ve never posted any sort of “trolling” posts on this board. This is just my take. If you’re upset about the $15,000 you paid for FSD, I feel your pain, only to the tune of $6,000.00, than again at $12,000.00. IMHO, until I try the new hot jam for myself, I’m a bit disappointed in what I see. That’s all. No need to get upset. Just an opinion. It will be OK. I’m sure HW4 will remedy all, in a few months.
I look at FSD as a long term investment. Granted I’m fairly new Tesla so I have not felt the pain like many of you have for years. I’m willing to wait for a more complete solution as long as Tesla doesn’t forget about those who invested with <HW4 equipment. Technology is always improving so I don’t blame them for executing a HW roadmap that improves the efficiency, cost, and performance. As long as previous HW stacks can accomplish similar results. Or…. Give me an upgrade path to new HW or allow me to transfer FSD to a new Tesla.

I guess only time will tell how this plays out. Until then I’m somewhat content with the incremental improvements.

I look at FSD as a long term investment. Granted I’m fairly new Tesla so I have not felt the pain like many of you have for years. I’m willing to wait for a more complete solution as long as Tesla doesn’t forget about those who invested with <HW4 equipment. Technology is always improving so I don’t blame them for executing a HW roadmap that improves the efficiency, cost, and performance. As long as previous HW stacks can accomplish similar results. Or…. Give me an upgrade path to new HW or allow me to transfer FSD to a new Tesla.

I guess only time will tell how this plays out. Until then I’m somewhat content with the incremental improvements.
gird you loins....

Trolling? Ok…. I’ve never posted any sort of “trolling” posts on this board. This is just my take. If you’re upset about the $15,000 you paid for FSD, I feel your pain, only to the tune of $6,000.00, than again at $12,000.00. IMHO, until I try the new hot jam for myself, I’m a bit disappointed in what I see. That’s all. No need to get upset. Just an opinion. It will be OK. I’m sure HW4 will remedy all, in a few months.

I guess only time will tell how this plays out. Until then I’m somewhat content with the incremental improvements
gird you loins....
yea I hear you. I did a lot of research on FSD befor I made my purchase so I am fully prepared to the road ahead.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Was he texting?
Nope. My son was 6 months old, and I was driving. The other driver was a teenager - not goofing off or being irresponsible, just inexperienced. He didn't see me while merging onto the highway, and I swerved to avoid a collision, but counter-steered too hard and lost control. The teenager caused the accident, but my split-second reaction didn't help anything, and things obviously didn't end well.

Anyways - Not looking for sympathy, and I don't mean to sidetrack this thread. I just wanted to make the point that we suck at driving, even when we're being responsible. I'm 100% confident that roads full of well-trained AVs will handle situations like this infinitely better than we do, hopefully sooner rather than later!

I guess only time will tell how this plays out. Until then I’m somewhat content with the incremental improvements

yea I hear you. I did a lot of research on FSD befor I made my purchase so I am fully prepared to the road ahead.
It’s only a long term investment if you consider your car a long term investment. If you’re going to upgrade in 3-5 years then how really long term is the “investment”?

Nope. My son was 6 months old, and I was driving. The other driver was a teenager - not goofing off or being irresponsible, just inexperienced. He didn't see me while merging onto the highway, and I swerved to avoid a collision, but counter-steered too hard and lost control. The teenager caused the accident, but my split-second reaction didn't help anything, and things obviously didn't end well.

Anyways - Not looking for sympathy, and I don't mean to sidetrack this thread. I just wanted to make the point that we suck at driving, even when we're being responsible. I'm 100% confident that roads full of well-trained AVs will handle situations like this infinitely better than we do, hopefully sooner rather than later!
Sorry to hear. Lost most of my family in a car accident as well. I wasn’t trying to pry, just wanted to see if texting was a factor and that’s why you’re against it.

Just saw you’re from PA as well. 80 eastbound is my family’s spot.

Wonder if 11.3.2 will be moved up to a 23.6.x branch? Oddly there is another NTHSA recall about removing "sightless' window "rollup" that needs to be addressed and don't think that is in any 22.x.x.x versions. Also using a 22.x.x.x version excludes any new users. All this assumes 11.3.2 will actually be released to more than influencers and starts down the "wide" release path. Even if we have to wait a few more weeks on 11.3.3 it seems almost obtuse to send out last years 22.x.x.x firmware since we are just days away from 2ed qt.

It’s only a long term investment if you consider your car a long term investment. If you’re going to upgrade in 3-5 years then how really long term is the “investment”?
5 years is probably the max for this particular car. But if Tesla can deliver a more comprehensive FSD product by then the resell value should reflect that. Or… let me transfer iFSD to another vehicle.

It’s defitnely a high risk investment. But it is an investment.

5 years is probably the max for this particular car. But if Tesla can deliver a more comprehensive FSD product by then the resell value should reflect that. Or… let me transfer iFSD to another vehicle.

It’s defitnely a high risk investment. But it is an investment.
This is basically what people have taken up internet pitch forks about. FSD was first an option 5-6 years ago now. There’s a thread here about it and it goes back and forth about what Tesla can do, or doesn’t have to do.

Edit: so many threads, this is the latest one that stirred the pot. There will be NO HW4 upgrade for HW3 owners