Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I'm happy to report V11.3.3 finally fixed two consistent phantom braking locations in the morning drive. Hopefully they are gone for good and not one-off NN training luck.

Had one instance this morning of a needless overreacting deceleration for a pedestrian walking parallel to the street. No one in their right mind would've even considered covering the brake for that pedestrian. And it happens so fast I can't compensate with the throttle and even if I could it would be an accel/decel jerky mess.

Last edited:
Well, two and a half days on 11.3.3, I’ll take 11.3.2 back. 11.3.3 regressed on city streets. Traveling straight, passing a car at a stop sign, my car is now stopping or slowing down to almost a stop. It’s now way too apprehensive around other vehicles. It’s done this like three time this morning already. Still better than 10.69.25.2, but not as good as 11.3.2.

Folks that didn’t get this yet, you’re not missing much.

Try left or right clicking the right dial. It's a toggle button on that little tab at the bottom left.

At least if it does what it says, it will lessen lane changes. When, I'm not sure yet.
Tesla changed that will 11.3.3. When you press the toggle button (I pushed it to the right, I'll try to the left next time to see if that makes a difference), it brings up a mini menu on the screen that says assertive, normal, chill, then below that its has a button for less frequent lane changes (I'm remembering off the top of my head, when I get back in the car, I'll take a photo). It also asks you to send voice notes every time you disconnect autopilot. I pity who ever at tesla has to listen (or read the transcripts) to all of those messages.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh
11.3.3 regressed on city streets. Traveling straight, passing a car at a stop sign, my car is now stopping or slowing down to almost a stop. It’s now way too apprehensive around other vehicles.

It's really hard to isolate exactly what causes issues. It may be your update, but on the other hand, I'm still on 10.69.25.2 and experiencing some bad behavior this week as well. If you live in an area prone to tree pollen, I think very fine yellow particulate on the cameras may be throwing things off slightly. As others have said, it is always a good idea to give your car a rinse and do a reboot after a major firmware upgrade, just in case.

I got 11.3.3 yesterday and used it for all of my Sunday drives. It seems a lot better in terms of stopping, and acceleration. But my insurance safety score still got dinged 2% for "events", mainly hard braking. (I drove on "chill" with the minimal lane change option selected.)

• 13 miles: 3 hard braking events
  • 1 mile: no events
  • 4 miles: no events
  • 2 miles: no events
  • 9 miles: no events
  • 14 miles: 4 events. (3 braking, 1 acceleration) (This is my normal test drive for FSD.)
Two of the hard braking events were yellow lights, one of which I would have gone through. But in general the yellow light handling seems pretty good now. I think it is a little aggressive on slowing down for speed limit changes, it was sort of jarring going from a 35 MPH zone to a 25 MPH zone, but that wasn't one of the hard braking events.

Combined in all of those drives I had 1 disengament, for it trying to turn right on red where it isn't allowed, and 2 interventions, 1 where it wouldn't turn right on red even though it was allowed, and the other where it stalled mid ULT.

It seems way better than 10.69.x to me. I think it drives better than a lot of people I have been a passenger with.

Rolling stops, running red lights are also technically illegal but it's gotten NHSTA attention and forced Tesla to remove it. It should not being doing anything illegal by design unless explicitly told to by the driver who is responsible (for any tickets or any liability that arises unless tesla wants to put it's money where it's mouth is and certify level 3) or to avoid an accident. Hell lets drive on sidewalks if there's no one there while we are at it because it's technically illegal, but it's not hurting anyone.
Running red lights is not comparable to passing on the right, neither is driving on the sidewalk.

Again, almost all drivers will pass on the right when necessary, just like 95+% go over the speed limit. Trying to be rigid to things like that would make FSD completely fail. Could you imagine if you couldn't exceed the speed limit at all? What about when signs were wrong? What if you could cross a double yellow, even to avoid a wreck?

There's some common sense logic here.

Running red lights is not comparable to passing on the right, neither is driving on the sidewalk.

Again, almost all drivers will pass on the right when necessary, just like 95+% go over the speed limit. Trying to be rigid to things like that would make FSD completely fail. Could you imagine if you couldn't exceed the speed limit at all? What about when signs were wrong? What if you could cross a double yellow, even to avoid a wreck?

There's some common sense logic here.
I think the question is, was it passing on the right willy-nilly or was it an actual "justified" passing from someone going too slow in the passing lane? I agree with you on the latter, but in MOST cases, FSD shouldn't be doing right-lane passing.

I think the question is, was it passing on the right willy-nilly or was it an actual "justified" passing from someone going too slow in the passing lane? I agree with you on the latter, but in MOST cases, FSD shouldn't be doing right-lane passing.
I think the logic is that it will pass in the right if your speed is set higher than the car that is in the left lane. This puts some responsibility on the driver. If you are set for 65 in a 45 and you are passing cars in the left lane and get to a slow car in the left lane, you should 100% pass it. Anyone arguing otherwise is wrong.

but the problem with FSD Beta is when set to higher than the speed limit, the car want's to ride in the left lane...regardless of traffic...unless of course a left turn is coming then it may go to the right lane.

Updated to 11.3.3 from 10.69 this morning. One drive in and here's some observations:

City streets - route on the way to the office, one road the car was taking right turn instead of left (big regression).
Highway - LOVE the natural lane changes (much better than the jump over to the next lane).
Highway - keeping up with traffic ahead is much better (less honking from behind 😆)

More to come, but I feel the updates is two steps forward, maybe one back.

I just drove 100% local city drive, about 15km in total. Belleville is only a town of 55,000 so it is a small city.

I left FSD on all the way, both directions. Setting is aggressive and force less lane changes.

Overall, it is definitely more tentative. It makes very light brake/slow down on stuff that it didn't use to react on. Pedestrians further away from the road is being noticed. Slightly less comfortable but perhaps I'll get used to them.

One bad move - as right turn lane began in one spot, the car ahead of me gave me just enough room for me to move into the new right lane, or so I thought. FSD started to accelerate, then braked hard. I disengaged and manually continued on. I had probably 2 feet or so of space between the truck in front of me and myself, so I believe it should not have applied any brake.

I also tried a manual lane change just to see how it feels different from highway lane changes. It feels quite smooth, but I definitely feel the direction changes. I think highway lane changes are smoother. Later today, I'll be driving a rural highway, so I'll have to compare there again.

Using this setting, the car did zero idiotic lane changes from right to left when right lane was clear. So far, I like the combo of assertive and less lane change setting within the city limits. It was a limited driving experience though.

That’s because the cameras and their placement sucks @$$. “Enter HW4 cars, stage left” - TGC
No. That has nothing to do with the camera placement. The previous version for him worked really well. You should watch the video.

Every single time I have disengaged AP or FSD, it has been because of invalid routing/decision making….not because it couldn’t “see”.

The added cameras would help when pulling out from a blocked side view and seeing directly in front of you when parked. But even then, there are ways to mitigate those issues.

Would be nice if they could add another side/forward facing camera to the existing fender camera setup for HW3. That would at least eliminate the side blind spot. Perhaps just on a separate (channel) using same wiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArchHamster
Well, two and a half days on 11.3.3, I’ll take 11.3.2 back. 11.3.3 regressed on city streets. Traveling straight, passing a car at a stop sign, my car is now stopping or slowing down to almost a stop. It’s now way too apprehensive around other vehicles. It’s done this like three time this morning already. Still better than 10.69.25.2, but not as good as 11.3.2.

Folks that didn’t get this yet, you’re not missing much.
Not surprised; par for the course since the fall of 2021.

Reactions: beachmiles
No. That has nothing to do with the camera placement. The previous version for him worked really well. You should watch the video.

Every single time I have disengaged AP or FSD, it has been because of invalid routing/decision making….not because it couldn’t “see”.

The added cameras would help when pulling out from a blocked side view and seeing directly in front of you when parked. But even then, there are ways to mitigate those issues.

Would be nice if they could add another side/forward facing camera to the existing fender camera setup for HW3. That would at least eliminate the side blind spot. Perhaps just on a separate (channel) using same wiring.
Yeah I don't know about Chuck's turn but have seen examples like this @ 06:09