Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Just installed and tried 11.45.13. Oh my this one works well. Drove for a couple of hours on rural streets and highways. Only hiccup I saw was coming to a 3 way intersection where I was supposed to turn right. Everything worked as it should however the car came to a full stop before turning. Every move seems so much smoother and real life like as if I was driving. Definitely on the right track for getting this right.
Rural streets and highways in general are pretty easy for FSDb.

Only hiccup I saw was coming to a 3 way intersection where I was supposed to turn right. Everything worked as it should however the car came to a full stop before turning however there is no stop sign.
Is it a T intersection with one side having a stop sign (and you are on the other side) ? Otherwise it would be an implied stop sign.

These were the same streets where I constantly had to intervene. Not so any more.
Fair enough, but, even so, these should be pretty easy for Tesla. It's city streets where it's.. uh... pretty bad. My car came to a full stop in the middle of the road last night because a car was coming toward it and apparently over a 1.5 feet on both sides of the car isn't enough room for it. I didn't intervene as there was nobody else around, and it then continued, but... jeez...

Fair enough, but, even so, these should be pretty easy for Tesla. It's city streets where it's.. uh... pretty bad. My car came to a full stop in the middle of the road last night because a car was coming toward it and apparently over a 1.5 feet on both sides of the car isn't enough room for it. I didn't intervene as there was nobody else around, and it then continued, but... jeez...
J

Is it a T intersection with one side having a stop sign (and you are on the other side) ? Otherwise it would be an implied stop sign.
T intersection, road continues straight however I want to turn right which is on my side. No stop signs for anyone at the intersection. Car came to a complete stop with flasher on and then continued just as if there was a stop sign.

This is the road I take to work every day so will see what happens tomorrow and report back. Will pay more attention as it should indicate why it is stopping.

Fireworks from Sun n Fun as promised

Beginning part of the fireworks, I didn’t start recording until later. This video is my friend’s girl recording.

My video, I started recording couple mins into her video

Did a short ride on v11 yesterday. Didn’t see any major issues but it was also midnight, dark, no one around, and I didn’t go that far. I’ll do a quick testing loop to compare it to 69 in a bit and provide feedback.

I made three drives in the DFW area today. These were mostly on limited access highways. I had zero disengagements and zero interventions. This is the first time ever that has happened. The routes were common ones that I use often, so I am well familiar with how previous versions of FSDb would handle them.

Some high points:

• FSD beta successfully exited from Bush Turnpike and moved three lanes over to the right to correctly enter the Central Market parking lot at Coit Rd. Once in the parking lot, the car slowed to a perfect 5 mph for two speed bumps. FSDb could not do this previously.
  • When departing from the parking lot, the car avoided a pot hole in the parking lot (!!!) and needed to turn right onto the turnpike frontage road and cross three lanes to take the u-turn lane. The car performed this maneuver perfectly. FSDb could not do this previously.
  • On limited access highways, FSDb is making lane changes to overtake slower traffic much sooner than NOA would, and is doing this very smoothly.
  • I had no issues with FSDb getting into the wrong turn lane on city streets. On my first drive, at night, this was an issue.
Unfortunately, there were a couple minor errors, though not safety issues. Had I not been wanting to see how FSDb would handle things, I would normally have taken over.
  • The car needed to make two quick lane changes to get onto US75 limited access highway from an intersection. This is a difficult maneuver for humans since there was other traffic in the lanes. FSDb could not complete the maneuver and had to continue on the frontage road to the next entrance ramp.
  • When transitioning from US75 to Bush turnpike, there are two lanes that exit to the right. The car was in the rightmost of two exit lanes but needed to be in the leftmost lane. By the time the car realized it need to move left, there was another car in the way, so it had to go West on the turnpike instead of east. FSDb rerouted and turned around at the first exit. No harm done, but I normally would have taken over to make the correct transition.
  • FSDb is still a bit slow on turns at intersections with yield or stop signs.

Thought Id share my 1st drive. Keep in mind that I am scheduled for computer replacement beacsue of FSD crashing so that might account for some of this BUT until this update (.4) I had not had any of these "issues". This was a 20 mile trip into town to eat breakfast, all surface streets.

1st the goods:
-much smoother in turns
-Braking was much better sometimes, others about the same, but never worse.
-4 way stops with traffic were great.
-BTW, love the on screen notifications of what its "thinking" and I like the new placement of them also.
-Speed limit changes (deceleration) are almost too abrupt... If we could split the difference from before and now it would be great..but Ill take this way over the old any day.

Now for the issues:
-about 1 mile into the drive FSD disengaged and would not give me the steering wheel icon again, I had do a 2SW reboot to get it back.
-on the way back I had to disengage to take an alternate route and once the nav picked up the new route I could not re engage FSD and I noticed the steering wheel icon was flashing on and off...not like a warning, it appeared like it was just confused? A 2SW reset fixed it again.
-sitting at stop light with green arrow, just waiting in traffic, the red wheel of death popped up and the sirens all went off. Once I hit the brake pedal I got a notification that "FSD disengaged due to system error" (bad computer??)

-The next 2 are the most curious. I hope I can articulate them good enough.
-getting near our destination (which was to the left of us on a 6 lane main road) I noticed the nav had us going to the right and through a parking lot to an intersection about 800 ft past the one I needed, then crossing the main rd I was on into the parking lot past our destination (but in the same lot). On the screen the intersection I needed to turn at was not even showing (on the turn by turn ion the IC display). I think it was showing on the main screen but did not really pay attention to that. This car has drove it self here many times and never had this issue until this morning.

-Next I was pulling out of a parking lot into a 4 lane (UPL), the nav had us pulling out and going right for 200ft and then making a u-turn to end up on the correct route...really not sure about this unless it was simply trying to avoid the UPL...but the U turn (which was right at a HUGE intersection) seems like a way riskier maneuver than the simple, very visible, UPL???

Did not get a chance to get on he interstate.
All on all if felt better (above issues not withstanding).
But I have also noticed the 1st day or 2 of a new release is always a bit wonky on my car, then it "Seems" to straighten out and get a lot better. Might be my imagination...but its awful consistent unlike my imagination lol

Just installed and tried 45.13 Oh my this one works well. Drove for a couple of hours on rural streets and highways. Only hiccup I saw was coming to a 3 way intersection where I was supposed to turn right. Everything worked as it should however the car came to a full stop before turning however there is no stop sign. Every move seems so much smoother and real life like as if I was driving. Definitely on the right track for getting this right.

Both cars wanted the 45.13 update this morning. Unusual as they usually are a few to several days apart.
You can probably thank the NHTSA for the full stop, stop sign or no stop sign.

After testing 11.3.4 the overall drive has notably improved. For me so far just a few problems on turning in a intersection but the most critical issue is that it is going over the shoulder white solid line (significantly) almost every time it turns right. This was not the behavior in my experience before this update.

Last edited:
11.3.4 did well on my weekly 150-mile interstate commute today. Still doing the bike lane thing leaving the hood and shoulder thing onto the highway but it's always done that somewhat. Otherwise did better on the highway, centered the lanes better, overall smoother. No disengagements or phantom breaking, handled our in-town roundabouts perfectly. But these are simple one-lane roundabouts, not like driving in Spain, those 5 lane crazyabouts in Madrid/Valencia/Barcelona, where no one can explain the etiquette/rules, just an exotic dance you do with strangers. I would love to dance with my M3P/FSDb in Madrid or NYC........