Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I disengaged FSD Beta 11.3.4 twice for rude acceleration at very short weaving interchanges/exits. Both were probably no worse than legacy Navigate on Autopilot behavior though.

On the way out, I needed to squeeze in between the 2 trucks on the right as there's probably less than 500 feet of onramp/offramp, but it felt like FSD Beta was going to accelerate to follow the current lead truck most likely missing the exit:
11.3.4 truck gap.jpg

During the return trip on a different portion of the interchange, it was too aggressive in accelerating in this case even when configured to Chill as it successfully switched out of the onramp but the lead vehicle also wanted to switch out:
11.3.4 rude acceleration.jpg

I hit the brakes for the former lead red car with its turn signal on, but it was too late as they probably re-checked their mirrors then jerked back into the exit-only lane (and probably now grumpily wondering why Tesla drivers are so rude).

Otherwise highway driving with single stack has been significantly better where lanes are faded/covered and at lane changes, merges and forks. Previously, NoA would suddenly decide to abort a particular lane change here as it might have believed faded dashed lines meant the lane suddenly became wide.

im experiencing some very strange last minute decisions on this build, 11.3.3. On 3 consecutive drives going home, there is a turn near my home that normally FSD makes without a hiccup. I dont know what happened, but I cant use FSD anymore because at the turn signal while making a left turn protected... it suddenly wants to jump out of the turn lane and into traffic wanting to continue down main road. whats strange is Its already committed to maneuvering into the turn lane which is prob 50 feet or more.....but as it gets closer to the light while in the turn lane, it decides to cut back to right and into the lane with cars that are coming up from behind at almost 50 miles per hour.......its really weird because FSD never did this before. To make things worse, it did this on 3 different drives all while heading home making this very perplexing....this is definitely the first time its ever done this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Noticing on 11.3.3 when making or attempting to make some 90degree turns, the steering wheel is now “pre-turned” into the direction of said turn. This was an issue back on 10.2/10.3. Not super safe, if someone rear ends you, you’re going to end up in oncoming traffic.
Whenever this happens I assume the pre-turn is made so the cameras can see better. Tesla is trying to overcome poor camera placement.

Notice a couple of improvements on 11.3.4 that I did not noticed on the previous versions:
- Now it engages FSDb on roads without any markings/lines and it actually drives well based solely on the landscape of the sides of the road. I used 20 mph max for those roads.
- If I am on a highway on the most left lane and a car is approaching/accelerating behind me faster than I am driving, it sets the turn signal to the right, moves to the right lane, lets the car pass, and then turns the left turn signal, and goes back to the left lane.

Annoying new issues:
- On a merging lane it stays at the outside portion on the lane (following the right line) as long as it takes to merge without a turn signal and without taking into consideration the acceleration/speed of vehicles approaching.
- It always overly crosses the white line of side of the road on turning right on an intersection, to the point that it almost hits any obstacles on the right side including the curb.

Is anyone seeing the little steering wheel show up that shows you could enable auto pilot and then when you go to enable it, it disappears like it’s teasing you?
Yes, very annoying. Chuck noted this when he was close to the right edge of the lane, and I've seen it at other times as well.

Truly unsafe! With whatever else is going on, you have to pay close attention to the melody of the beeping to know if you or FSD is driving, did it engage or not. It does beep either way, but to a different tune. Confusion about whether or not it is engaged can be tragic. For example, you may think it is making one of it's safe lane changes, when it is just drifting in front of a car in your blind spot.

Besides the beep songs, if you aim just a bit off-center in the lane, you can feel it jerk the wheel to straighten out. On the other hand, being at too much angle may well preventing it from engaging.

It is a problem. A new problem, I think, or at least far worse than 10.69 was in this regard.

I don't think I've seen 11.3.4 do the random blinker thing. Yet.

However on freeways it does change lanes way too much unless I change the setting. For each drive, arrrgh. Until I do opt for minimum land changes, I have canceled with the turn signal lever, but to other drivers it looks like I'm still a blinker-twit.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Serious question: what is the best strategy to get FSD beta for someone on the 2023.X branch? Does one need to activate the subscription and go into the beta queue to force the car to update to a 2023 FSD beta build whenever that becomes available?

If you don't have an active subscription, will you always stay a few versions ahead of FSD beta builds like we are today, and therefore never get an FSD enabled build?

Was there ever a time with FSDb 10.X where you could activate a subscription and be reasonably sure you'd have access to FSD beta within a day or two?

I disengaged FSD Beta 11.3.4 twice for rude acceleration at very short weaving interchanges/exits. Both were probably no worse than legacy Navigate on Autopilot behavior though.

On the way out, I needed to squeeze in between the 2 trucks on the right as there's probably less than 500 feet of onramp/offramp, but it felt like FSD Beta was going to accelerate to follow the current lead truck most likely missing the exit:
View attachment 924557

During the return trip on a different portion of the interchange, it was too aggressive in accelerating in this case even when configured to Chill as it successfully switched out of the onramp but the lead vehicle also wanted to switch out:
View attachment 924558

I hit the brakes for the former lead red car with its turn signal on, but it was too late as they probably re-checked their mirrors then jerked back into the exit-only lane (and probably now grumpily wondering why Tesla drivers are so rude).

Otherwise highway driving with single stack has been significantly better where lanes are faded/covered and at lane changes, merges and forks. Previously, NoA would suddenly decide to abort a particular lane change here as it might have believed faded dashed lines meant the lane suddenly became wide.

Not related to your aggressive acceleration cases, but I noticed today that 3.4 tends to accelerate aggressively when it's next to a large truck to avoid being next to it (in addition to biasing away from it). It even accelerated to 71mph when the max was set at 70mph.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Serious question: what is the best strategy to get FSD beta for someone on the 2023.X branch? Does one need to activate the subscription and go into the beta queue to force the car to update to a 2023 FSD beta build whenever that becomes available?

If you don't have an active subscription, will you always stay a few versions ahead of FSD beta builds like we are today, and therefore never get an FSD enabled build?

Was there ever a time with FSDb 10.X where you could activate a subscription and be reasonably sure you'd have access to FSD beta within a day or two?
The best strategy is to save your money as there is no sign that FSDb is coming to a late 2023 branch any time soon. It seems to be stuck in the past.

Haha. It doesn’t do u-turns, that is clear.
( No left turn intersection) Yes it does on divide highway, I have take a right jump two lanes to the left edit left into a u turn to the left to go the opposite way. in 10.69 it was choppy and ran into the oncoming traffic lane. with 11.3 its now staying on the exit ramps. I only do it when there is not traffic around. It might be a little choppy but it does make U-turns. what surprised me was when I went into Starbucks it made a very smooth u turn to the right down the first isle in the parking lot. That one surprised me. I'm patient with the car and let it play out, if no one is on my tail. I have been letting the car do its own thing with 11.3, been seeing what it does in some parking lots.

( No left turn intersection) Yes it does on divide highway, I have take a right jump two lanes to the left edit left into a u turn to the left to go the opposite way. in 10.69 it was choppy and ran into the oncoming traffic lane. with 11.3 its now staying on the exit ramps. I only do it when there is not traffic around. It might be a little choppy but it does make U-turns. what surprised me was when I went into Starbucks it made a very smooth u turn to the right down the first isle in the parking lot. That one surprised me. I'm patient with the car and let it play out, if no one is on my tail. I have been letting the car do its own thing with 11.3, been seeing what it does in some parking lots.
I have never been able to get mine to make any uturns

The car will do it if the turn is wide enough (divided highway) When I leave work sometimes there isn't a sole out on the road so I let it try. Nav puts it on the map and the car tries. at first it was back but with 1069. it started making two left turns. 90 degree stop rethink 90 degrees and go. this version it is smoothing out. Now it approached the turn slows way down 55 down to 25 rolls into it and makes it and is slow merging for some reason then takes off.

how do we post the large tesla footage video's I got most of the car footage when it ran the light. I tried to save the U turn but got cut into to parts.

Living a Tesla NIGHTMARE. No 11.3.x update this morning so on the way to gym decided to do a MCU reset. Of course not much chance of that working but what the hell do you have to lose? In a word: EVERYTHING. First the AC starting blowing full blast and came on as Low setting. Then I got what at first glance seemed like an improbable optimistic screen (keep in mind I'm driving). Saying Software Version V11.

What HELL happened? As best I can tell it appears I have experiences a full Factory Rest and lost EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do. I did scedual a Service Appointment hoping that can get back. But I deafly afraid everything is gone for good.

Here is my Service Request:
While driving I did a MCU (2 button) reset. When screen came back on EVERYTHING was missing and AC was on LO/full blast. It was like it did a Factory Reset. I have NOTHING. Don’t have Acceleration Boost, Premium Connective, Profiles, Navigation, Favorites, Car Name, Trips, etc. How do I restore it or can you do it remotely?

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

Had exactly same issue last week. Rebooted to try and get FSD to download. Took forever for it to reboot, and when it came back, lost everything. Fill factory reset. I found a video by Tesla Joy where she had same thing and how to fix. Short answer is you have to redo your profile, then I had to drive awhile to get a GPS lock, recalibrate cameras, and allow NOA to be selectable. But FSD was still missing. Took one more reboot for FSD to come back. Was scary!

Her is the video that helped. I did not follow it exactly but it got me back in business.

Last edited:

Don't install any updates until an FSD release comes out with a base date above yours, eg a 2023.x FSD release. Then subscribe and wait for them to download that version before installing.

Those first few digits of the version are the year and week of the base code release. FSD is still back on 2022.45, so you have to wait till they merge FSD with a newer base release.

As for when that might happen, ask ChatGPT and it'll lie to you worse the Elon. ;-). That is to say, we can only speculate about timing of future updates.

p.s. For kicks I did just ask ChatGPT and it said it does not know, so keep an eye out for the update. EM always says it'll be soon, a couple weeks or some such inaccurate but optimistic timeframe.