Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Too lazy. Google image search works though.

Improved - paved, same level. On the far side of the solid or dashed white lane line.

Unimproved - soft shoulder unpaved or at least much different surface than rest of road. Not at same level also not improved even if paved.

Turn lane - marked with road markings as a lane and a turning arrow somewhere.

There are probably myriad permutations which do not confirm to the above. Use your noggin.

So in this picture, the vehicles should be sitting on the right shoulder before making the right turn at the stop sign?

IMG_0379.png

Reactions: PACEMD
Looks like 11.3.4 is decidedly getting worse reviews than 11.3.3 ?

Anyway here is one "interesting" change that makes for a jittery turn.

FSD now runs closer to the curb on the right side of the unmarked road. But it still wants to leave some space on the right when turning from an unmarked road. This transitions is very jerky - so the car is going smoothly towards the right hand side of the unamrked road, then at the stop sign it suddenly jerks to the left. Then creeps forward to get a better view - very jerkily - before making the turn.

The turn itself is smooth and unhurried, which is an improvement. Using the right side of the unmarked is also an improvement. Leaving some space to the right when turning left is good (and from 69.x). But a combination of all these - along with stopping at the stop line and then creeping forward for visibility makes it a really bad experience. I'd have probably disengaged if all this happened before they started showing the creep wall. But now I know it is just being jerky ...

Second thing is the lane change. It is now natural and smooth. Not jerky or abrupt. Infact so smooth I hardly noticed it yesterday .... but then had to disengage because it was a bad lane change with a right turn coming up next block. But the lane change itself was smooth ;)

Something is definitely different with mapping in v11.

In the map below my car is completely blind to the perpendicular road ahead of it. This is in an enclosed condominium property and I am absolutely confident that my Tesla is the only one that has ever driven through it.

In 10.69 this map was a wobbly mess.

IMG_4115.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Living a Tesla NIGHTMARE. No 11.3.x update this morning so on the way to gym decided to do a MCU reset. Of course not much chance of that working but what the hell do you have to lose? In a word: EVERYTHING. First the AC starting blowing full blast and came on as Low setting. Then I got what at first glance seemed like an improbable optimistic screen (keep in mind I'm driving). Saying Software Version V11.

What HELL happened? As best I can tell it appears I have experiences a full Factory Rest and lost EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do. I did scedual a Service Appointment hoping that can get back. But I deafly afraid everything is gone for good.

Here is my Service Request:
While driving I did a MCU (2 button) reset. When screen came back on EVERYTHING was missing and AC was on LO/full blast. It was like it did a Factory Reset. I have NOTHING. Don’t have Acceleration Boost, Premium Connective, Profiles, Navigation, Favorites, Car Name, Trips, etc. How do I restore it or can you do it remotely?

Anyone have any idea on what can be done?

View attachment 924500

this happened to me 2 weeks ago. exact same thing. a typical harmless 2 button reset resulted in blasting HVAC and loss of profiles, settings, homelink, trip meters, etc. Car somehow did a factory reset.

You can get cloud profiles back easily. Your personal one will sync on its own. For your other drivers, you have to remove them and reinvite them.

While I was panicking and raging, I created a temp profile just to get some basic settings in place. later, I deleted the local profile when my cloud profile reappeared.

send me a direct msg if you want to go over more (I know I'm already 2 days late to your post).

11.3.4 is worse for stop and go traffic ("traffic jam" on highway) for me vs 25.2. It's more jerky and isn't predictable in the way it brakes and speeds up; sometimes it stutters slightly.

Not a big deal though, as they can easily smooth this out in the next point release (I hope).

11.3.4 is worse for stop and go traffic ("traffic jam" on highway) for me vs 25.2. It's more jerky and isn't predictable in the way it brakes and speeds up; sometimes it stutters slightly.

Not a big deal though, as they can easily smooth this out in the next point release (I hope).
Looks like there is some change in 3.4 (vs 3.2 apparently) that makes it more cautious (and thus more fearful and jittery). Hopefully they can either fix it remotely (?!) or in the next release quickly.

Definitely I'm having more disengagements now than in 69.25.x.

this happened to me 2 weeks ago. exact same thing. a typical harmless 2 button reset resulted in blasting HVAC and loss of profiles, settings, homelink, trip meters, etc. Car somehow did a factory reset.

You can get cloud profiles back easily. Your personal one will sync on its own. For your other drivers, you have to remove them and reinvite them.

While I was panicking and raging, I created a temp profile just to get some basic settings in place. later, I deleted the local profile when my cloud profile reappeared.

send me a direct msg if you want to go over more (I know I'm already 2 days late to your post).
Thanks, I went ahead and set up. One thing I lost isn't in the Profile. On the day I bought I set up a Lifetime Trip and there is no way to get that back. Oddly I was having audio problems that seemed to be discussed in this thread. Here is a post I made on it this morning.

STRANGE, I had pretty extreme cracking, popping and sporadic loss of music and/or voice navigation. Read this thread and assumed it was what all were experiencing and would have to live with it until Tesla updates.

THEN I had a STRANG situation. I needed to do a 2 button reboot. When the screen came back up I found myself in Tesla HELL. My car must have did a complete factory reset and I lost everything. Spent a couple of hours setting up and also did a Service Menu/reinstall software.

Oddly now my audio is now working perfectly and haven't had a single pop or dropout. Even Apple Music now loads the next track almost immediately.

The blue creep line doesn't give me much comfort, especially since it often appears to be far too close to or even beyond the path of oncoming traffic. And I'm usually too busy watching the traffic with my foot poised over the brake pedal to look for the creep line anyway.

Human drivers are able to creep forward without appearing to threaten oncoming traffic. FSDb has no such subtlety.
This is begging for an AR HUD solution. But there hasn't been a whisper of speculation about that since before the Model 3 reveal. I bet Elon decided way back that a HUD and the development required to produce one would just be a waste of resources since the cars were just going to drive themselves.

Looks like there is some change in 3.4 (vs 3.2 apparently) that makes it more cautious (and thus more fearful and jittery). Hopefully they can either fix it remotely (?!) or in the next release quickly.

Definitely I'm having more disengagements now than in 69.25.x.
Hopefully with all the telemetry and voice reporting, they'll get lots of valuable data to lock down the next update.

Reactions: edseloh
This is begging for an AR HUD solution. But there hasn't been a whisper of speculation about that since before the Model 3 reveal. I bet Elon decided way back that a HUD and the development required to produce one would just be a waste of resources since the cars were just going to drive themselves.
I wonder what others things Tesla would have done differently if they had figured out that FSD will take (over?) a decade instead of 2 years.

Reactions: mtndrew1
Thanks, I went ahead and set up. One thing I lost isn't in the Profile. On the day I bought I set up a Lifetime Trip and there is no way to get that back. Oddly I was having audio problems that seemed to be discussed in this thread. Here is a post I made on it this morning.

STRANGE, I had pretty extreme cracking, popping and sporadic loss of music and/or voice navigation. Read this thread and assumed it was what all were experiencing and would have to live with it until Tesla updates.

THEN I had a STRANG situation. I needed to do a 2 button reboot. When the screen came back up I found myself in Tesla HELL. My car must have did a complete factory reset and I lost everything. Spent a couple of hours setting up and also did a Service Menu/reinstall software.

Oddly now my audio is now working perfectly and haven't had a single pop or dropout. Even Apple Music now loads the next track almost immediately.
I’m having the sound issues on my non-FSD Model Y

This issue has been happening to me for awhile: the car will just continue to drive until the end of the on-ramp and never merge. It looks like V11 has still not fixed this issue.

I've seen this before v11 as well. Tried the same on-ramp yesterday with 11.3.4 and it also waited until the lane ended and didn’t use the blinker. Old versions would actually run off the road if I didnt take over, so perhaps a slight improvement here.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
With all the reported issues, I expect that your next update will be 11.3.6.
Yeah seems like we should expect an updated update maybe this weekend or the following. Perhaps bringing things into 2023?

Seems like it is actually advantageous to not have the latest software (14-week differential about) since they have a chance to fix some of the UI bugs (sounds like there are a bunch!) before grand unification. Hopefully the lag will continue though maybe the Grand Merge is coming. Seems too soon though. Maybe a few months before that happens.

For freeways it seems like it could be getting close enough to nearly (a few months) be ready for EAP owners. Presumably will not run on HW2.5!

I think following distance on the Chill setting may actually exceed the prior 7 setting, but have to look at it more, since it is still quite slow to adapt, with rubber-banding - but a bit improved over the mainstream NOA in that regard I feel.

Hopefully this will transition to pre-programmable selectable profiles at some point (a few years), so that assertiveness can be extreme, with maximized following distances.

It is actually kind of nice to switch modes back and forth - I would just like to keep the following slightly longer on Assertive. I haven’t turned on minimal lane changes yet and haven’t had a problem, which surprised me. But I have really not yet had enough seat time in more complicated scenarios (56 is just two lanes), where it probably struggles more. Anyway I’m surprised how much I like it.

As mentioned, exits are generally way better, with it not bombing off the freeway at 80mph and not slowing down until the light is imminent and visible. Instead a progressively lower limit is automatically dialed in 5mph at a time. Sometimes it is too low and it has to adjust upwards, but overall it still works better than the prior debacle. Keep in mind I have a sample size of just four exits.

Last edited:
I hate to say this because I REALLY wanted v11 to be a major improvement, but I’m starting to miss v10 a little. I’m ok with some minor inconveniences but some of the areas of regression seem to be more critical(potential accident causing) events.

A few areas of concern for me:

- my car is more aggressive on how it behaves with yellow lights. I posted a video of this in an earlier post. It’s borderline running the red light in my opinion. It’s happened twice in 2 days.

- my car is missing more turns. It seems to think it has all the time in the world to get in to the correct lane for turning and by the time it tries to act it’s too late. Not only do I miss my turn but it freaks out alittle bit after almost like it doesn’t know what to do. I have to immediately take control to avoid an issue and go another route. This happened with v10 but not as often. There are hints of better performance when v11 does prepare for turns but when it fails, it fails hard and feels unpredictable.

- I’m having issues with speed limit. I’m not sure what it is yet and have to test further. But a few times now the car was going too fast on a particular street. Usually single lane city streets that might be unmarked. Last evening I was driving to dinner with my wife and friends and I turned on to a city street heavily populated by people walking with cars parked all along both sides. The car insisted on going 40mph when clearly 20-25 was more appropriate.I have to immediately disengage to bring it back down to a more comfortable speed. I traveled this road on v10 and do not recall this type of behavior. I’m not sure if the speed limit was clearly marked so maybe that was a factor.

I will say highway driving does seem smoother with better lane changing than v10. But so far I’m a little disappointed in the the overall performance. It won’t stop me from using it as I feel this information is important to share with Tesla so they can improve. It’s definitely NOT the silver bullet!
Well, today I noticed a significant improvement in City driving. I did end up changing the profile to Average from aggressive and activated minimal lane change option. No running of red lights, lane selection was quite good. No phantom braking. Maybe the aggressive profile is what’s causing some of these issues?

Well, today I noticed a significant improvement in City driving. I did end up changing the profile to Average from aggressive and activated minimal lane change option. No running of red lights, lane selection was quite good. No phantom braking. Maybe the aggressive profile is what’s causing some of these issues?

Interesting, I did not use Aggressive just Average and have had good experience so far with some annoying situations but not as much as has been discussed about 11.3.4. You could be on something here and the Aggressive setting could be creating additional problems that people are experiencing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dennisis