Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Anyone else have this issue? Hopefully I explained it well.

Yes, this is normal. Just disengage. Extremely normal and the car does not yield properly or behave normally in these situations, has happened on several occasions to me. A simple scenario but not handled at all yet. Just hit those brakes - not an issue at all. Generally still needed to disengage every half mile or so in areas with intersections of medium density, to get correct behavior.

In a year or two I would expect they will be able to handle right turns.* There is not a huge rush so this is ok.

I will be away from my car for a while so maybe a step change upon return! Lol.

* HW4 may be the default required hardware for this of course. Not an issue.

So here's today's update on 11.4.3, - my first and only two drives of the day, which I felt comfortable for collectively about 20 seconds on before disabling FSDj.

1.) Driving down a road that's straight and wide, yellow lanes - and has plenty of visibility, the type that FSD normally never has trouble with. I had a left turn (no green arrow), the car moved into the turn lane, and then came to a complete stop, on a green light, with no cars coming the other direction. It then stated in the display something to the effect of "Stopped for Traffic Control. Press the Accelerator to continue." Those were roughly the words. I remember "traffic control" specifically, and asking me to press the pedal. What on earth? I hit the pedal, it turned left, and then immediately came to a complete stop in its own lane when a car came towards me on the side street, because you know, it doesn't know the width of itself.

2.) This next one was a DOOZY. I was leaving Northgate (just outside Seattle, for those wondering), and getting on the on-ramp to I5 back to Seattle, (the ramp right by the Best Buy, if you want to repeat this). I saw the flashing sign getting onto this ramp saying that you had to wait for the green light up ahead to go (i.e. metering in effect), and I know this green light/red light setup for traffic flow is on a sharp bend. Well, of course the car didn't read that first sign, it just went round the bend onto I5 pretty briskly, - it then saw the red light LATE, slowed down dramatically, but NOT fast enough to not run the red light by about 10 ft, and then - because the car was past the red light and I guess could no longer see it clearly (even though it should), - just kept going and zipped down onto I5. Wow. Just. Wow.

Braking past the stop line for a red light and then immediately forgetting the red light ever existed pretty nicely sums up where FSD is right now.

Yes, this is normal. Just disengage. Extremely normal and the car does not yield properly or behave normally in these situations, has happened on several occasions to me. A simple scenario but not handled at all yet. Just hit those brakes - not an issue at all. Generally still needed to disengage every half mile or so in areas with intersections of medium density, to get correct behavior.

In a year or two I would expect they will be able to handle right turns.* There is not a huge rush so this is ok.

I will be away from my car for a while so maybe a step change upon return! Lol.

* HW4 may be the default required hardware for this of course. Not an issue.
Hmm.. my sarcasm radar is going off slightly but it’s been known to be incorrect from time to time. Lol

If I’m wrong then I certainly applaud your optimism..lol. Seems like a pretty significant issue..no? I’m surprised there have not been more accidents because of this specific scenario.

As for HW4, hopefully this is not the case. I would think this scenario would need to be addressed to be considered better than the average driver per Elon’s comments on the earnings call?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So here's today's update on 11.4.3, - my first and only two drives of the day, which I felt comfortable for collectively about 20 seconds on before disabling FSDj.

1.) Driving down a road that's straight and wide, yellow lanes - and has plenty of visibility, the type that FSD normally never has trouble with. I had a left turn (no green arrow), the car moved into the turn lane, and then came to a complete stop, on a green light, with no cars coming the other direction. It then stated in the display something to the effect of "Stopped for Traffic Control. Press the Accelerator to continue." Those were roughly the words. I remember "traffic control" specifically, and asking me to press the pedal. What on earth? I hit the pedal, it turned left, and then immediately came to a complete stop in its own lane when a car came towards me on the side street, because you know, it doesn't know the width of itself.

2.) This next one was a DOOZY. I was leaving Northgate (just outside Seattle, for those wondering), and getting on the on-ramp to I5 back to Seattle, (the ramp right by the Best Buy, if you want to repeat this). I saw the flashing sign getting onto this ramp saying that you had to wait for the green light up ahead to go (i.e. metering in effect), and I know this green light/red light setup for traffic flow is on a sharp bend. Well, of course the car didn't read that first sign, it just went round the bend onto I5 pretty briskly, - it then saw the red light LATE, slowed down dramatically, but NOT fast enough to not run the red light by about 10 ft, and then - because the car was past the red light and I guess could no longer see it clearly (even though it should), - just kept going and zipped down onto I5. Wow. Just. Wow.
I just completed a drive from Covington to Bellevue and had three phantom collision alerts and hard braking on 405N - for no reason. Also, as mentioned yesterday, it gets real junky-jerky when confused or unsure. Yoke goes wild. This happened no less that three times on this short straight forward trip. I will be driving myself back…. Now done with this version of Junk. Will await 11.4.4….

Edit: I was in the carpool lane (furthest left).

Last edited:

So...it does what a lot of people around here do? :p

I don't have to deal with ramp meters often but it hasn't been terribly reliable with ramp meters. It seems to handle the blinking yellow better now - in past versions it would start slowing down when the yellow was on, then speed up when it blinked off, then slow down again. Now it at least seems to recognize that they're blinking and go straight through. As far as active ramp meters goes, the meters here have people queue into 2 lines and the green alternates sides. If I put it into one of the lines manually it seems to do OK but it can't figure out how to pick a line initially. I haven't had occasion to approach a ramp meter with no line.

How fast was the meter cycling the green lights? I suspect what may have been happening was it saw the green, was proceeding, then I changed to yellow and it realized too late to stop. Or it simply messed it up. Regardless ramp meters are an area they clearly haven't put any work into (like school busses)

So...it does what a lot of people around here do? :p

I don't have to deal with ramp meters often but it hasn't been terribly reliable with ramp meters. It seems to handle the blinking yellow better now - in past versions it would start slowing down when the yellow was on, then speed up when it blinked off, then slow down again. Now it at least seems to recognize that they're blinking and go straight through. As far as active ramp meters goes, the meters here have people queue into 2 lines and the green alternates sides. If I put it into one of the lines manually it seems to do OK but it can't figure out how to pick a line initially. I haven't had occasion to approach a ramp meter with no line.

How fast was the meter cycling the green lights? I suspect what may have been happening was it saw the green, was proceeding, then I changed to yellow and it realized too late to stop. Or it simply messed it up. Regardless ramp meters are an area they clearly haven't put any work into (like school busses)
It flat-out messed up.

Reactions: Pdubs and jebinc
I had a good experience with on-ramp metering this morning on 11.14.3, it was a dual-lane meter too with alternating lights. It waited at the stop line and resolutely accelerated when it became green. Felt like there is a bit more jerk than in normal traffic light red->green acceleration. I was kind of impressed actually.

I'm curious how FSD is supposed to someday handle metering lights around here when some have signs for "2 cars per green" while others are "1 car per green". I have no hope that it will work soon.
I had one metered light experience today. The Junk pulled up to and then past the red light, which was on the left (405N Exit 4 on-ramp off of 169W). Then launched while it was still red - like it went past it to a point where it could no longer see it…. Hopefully I don’t receive a photo-enforced ticket for running the red. I will, if course, dispute the charge and will finger the Junk as the perp that ran the light! 🤣

Tesla Software Update - All Access Cameras! (2023.20.4.1)​

Well this is exciting since we should finally be able to verify what the B-pillar cameras sees. Potentially an important data point for many who believe FSD has a fatal flaw in seeing crossing traffic when making decisions. I know that eventually when this capability is available I'll check out several intersections where FSD starts to move into traffic and clearly cannot see crossing traffic that is out of range of the B-pillar camera.

Am I interpreting this enhancement correctly?

Reactions: Ramphex and EVNow
I'm curious how FSD is supposed to someday handle metering lights around here when some have signs for "2 cars per green" while others are "1 car per green". I have no hope that it will work soon.
I’ve never seen a sign saying “2 cars per green.” Around Minneapolis the speed of the lights will change so there’s a green light every 3 seconds or so. If it’s faster than that they just turn them off.

Someone else (? @Dewg ) has posted a picture in the past of a school speed limit sign with instructions like “speed limit 25 Mon 0732 - 0754, Tues 0723 - 0803…” I don’t think FSD will all the weird signs like this.

BTW looks like 11.4.3 is still being pushed, as I got "software up to date" at about noon today on 11.4.2, but just got "Software update available" at ~8:30 pm and it's 11.4.3.

Course it looks like 2023.12.11 also went out to folks today with....11.3.6 for some reason...

EDIT- stranger still.... 2023.12.11 with 11.36 is going to a small # of cars in Europe and Asia

I suppose these could be employees

Last edited:
Got a push for 11.4.3 around 9 p.m. after burning a check at 7:30 p.m.. Looks like I get to check to try out the newest and bestest!

This time.. I'm going to do both nominal resets of the car (dual-wheel reset, turn power off) before trying it out a bit tonight.

Reactions: Dennisis
Here is my take on problematic lane changes.

- There has been some change in preference. FSD now likes to drive on the left lane of a 2 lane road in the city. Probably some more rules like that.
- FSD aggressively changes lanes when it gets to a traffic jam according to nav+traffic data
- Map changes

Reactions: jebinc