Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
They might be evaluating a new lullaby mode. Seriously, there have been complaints with Model X and S.
So others are experiencing this? I haven't found much, other than this old dead thread...

This seems to be a dead thread but I'm starting to have the same issue. Below 50 mph hardly anything, but above 65 mph it is really noticeable, making my GF sick.
The faster I go the more it wobbles.
Only on AP/FSDb Driving manual car is smooth as butter.
Had an alignment and made no difference. Tires are in good shape with lots of thread left... suspension inspected and all is tight ... no idea what to do next

Must have missed that post amongst all the people complaining that FSD is utter junk...

if it's only doing it when TACC and FSD are engaged then it's not a mechanical issue like alignment or tires. How fast is it? It it a shimmy (fast), a wobble (medium) or more of a slower wandering in the lane? Have you tried re-calibrating the cameras? That's easy and free. If the car's trying to decide between cameras that are out of calibration it could explain the issue.
Some things that trigger the oscillations:

Going straight, no hands on the wheel = smooth.
Wheel nag pops up, and I touch the wheel to clear, oscillations start.

I approach a semi or a semi approaches, car moves away... when semi is gone and car returns to center, oscillations start.

When the highway has an ongoing left or right turn, oscillations start. Car no longer maintains curvatures on highways without oscillating within the lane.
The moment I disengage (NoA or FSDb) I can maintain the highway turn with one finger without feeling any oscillation.

I'm taking that as a serious question, sorry if I'm not picking up on a joke there...

People have noticed, and complained, that the UI implementation for Chill | Average | Aggressive has problems.

If you want to quickly check the setting via the pop-up,

You have to activate the scroll wheel left or right l.
But that very action also changes the setting.
Unless the setting is already at the limit of the left or right selection.

All In all, not very well thought out.

What I posted about in response, was (to me) and easy to learn sequence that lets me get the correct setting without having to look down at the screen at all.

That may not make too much sense for people who have zero problems seeing everything on the screen, but for those of us who have issues with the small-font pastel-colored controls, it's helpful to figure out ways to get what you want without looking at or manipulating the screen.

Having said that, the most common use of the pop-up is probably to set Minimal Lane Changes, which has to be reset for every drive. There's no eyes-off way to do that. I tried the neglected Voice Command interface to see if that would work, but per usual, "This command is not available".
Thanks. Was serious. I’ve only seen that pop up a few times and I’ve never been able to touch it before it disappears. Sht, first couple times it popped up, I only saw “something” go away, not even sure what it was. To be completely honest and ultra noobish, I’ve never felt the urge to change the FSD mode other than the deep menu. I was thinking it’d be nice to do that with the scroll by a macro, but figured that’d be in the future.

Your post made me think I was missing something. Thanks for the reply.

Man 11.4.3 is a massive step back from 11.4.2. For a bug fix, it's like night and day. I've had it almost a week and it's been bad.
I don’t think it’s possible to step back from 11.4.2. It’s so incredibly bad it’s hilarious at this point. 50 % of my drives used to be disengagement free. Now none of them are on 11.4.2. It’s completely insane. Lane selection sucks comically bad. How hard is it to read the arrows on the ground? They rarely show up on the FSD visualizations, but they consistently show up on the old autopilot visuals. However, often by the time you are able to see the arrows it is too late to change lanes. Map data is needed, and good map data at that.

I don’t think it’s possible to step back from 11.4.2. It’s so incredibly bad it’s hilarious at this point. 50 % of my drives used to be disengagement free. Now none of them are on 11.4.2. It’s completely insane. Lane selection sucks comically bad. How hard is it to read the arrows on the ground? They rarely show up on the FSD visualizations, but they consistently show up on the old autopilot visuals. However, often by the time you are able to see the arrows it is too late to change lanes. Map data is needed, and good map data at that.
Wait until you try FSDj 11.4.3; a step back from 11.4.2.

What is this issue? First I've heard of it... When you press the accelerator when FSD is enabled? If it's that, my car never beeped, so... huh?
Yes it does (only of late). If you use FSD a lot you’ll find it to be very annoying, because whenever you’re overriding the set speed (which is of course often unless you dial the scroll wheel all the time which is very fiddly and requires diverting attention from the road to figure out where you are at), it will beep at you (after a few seconds). Whenever the message came up before, now it also beeps.

Fortunately a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Man 11.4.3 is a massive step back from 11.4.2. For a bug fix, it's like night and day. I've had it almost a week and it's been bad.
Just had a few short drives today on 4.3 … not sure what is happening. Seems to me FSD is a little less sure now, more hesitant?

It wanted to take the left lane couple of times just like 4.2 … but this time the right lane was actually going slower. But won’t be surprised if the lane change problems are not fixed in 4.3.

What problems are you noticing?

Anyone want to do an FSD meet and drive? It would be funny that a large group of Teslas all do phantom braking and phantom lane changes and all the bad behaviors at the same places.
An interesting video today by Dirty Tesla. With a a friend who has never been been in an AV before. As expected he didn’t notice any of the wheel jitters etc.

Is anyone else HW4 on .3? 3 days in a row FSD has been significantly better than .2 was for me. I don’t understand why my experiences have been more positive than most with the update. Even the park assist is better than I expected after reading so many posts about it.
Easy explanation is a combination of everyone's experiences are anecdotal, with subjective and unavoidable bias and add in a dash of changes = differences and any differences can be seen as a positive or negative since we naturally compare to our on driving behaviors.

Is anyone else HW4 on .3? 3 days in a row FSD has been significantly better than .2 was for me. I don’t understand why my experiences have been more positive than most with the update. Even the park assist is better than I expected after reading so many posts about it.
Based on early reports, it seems like 11.4.3 is the release where FSDj starts to "part ways" with HW3 and focuses on HW4...

Yes it does (only of late). If you use FSD a lot you’ll find it to be very annoying, because whenever you’re overriding the set speed (which is of course often unless you dial the scroll wheel all the time which is very fiddly and requires diverting attention from the road to figure out where you are at), it will beep at you (after a few seconds). Whenever the message came up before, now it also beeps.

Fortunately a thing of the past.
The "car won't brake" 'feature' is actually quite annoying - if you accelerate above the set speed for more than a few seconds the car suspends the cruise control. Unlike every other system on the market, it doesn't kick in again when you drop down to the set speed. The only way to get it to kick back in is either to manually cancel and re-start it or to completely let off the accelerator, causing the car to quickly slow before speeding up again. Slowly easing down to the set speed won't do anything. It's like it wants you to trigger a phantom braking event. I'm not sure what the thought or utility behind this is but I've never found it anything but annoying.

Just had a few short drives today on 4.3 … not sure what is happening. Seems to me FSD is a little less sure now, more hesitant?

It wanted to take the left lane couple of times just like 4.2 … but this time the right lane was actually going slower. But won’t be surprised if the lane change problems are not fixed in 4.3.

What problems are you noticing?
Where to begin...

Twice when making a right turn and a car was at a stop sign waiting on me the car started the turn and then stopped turning, but kept moving forward like it was going to hit the car. I obviously took over, but one time the car honked at me.

4 times yesterday .3 miles before my exit the car tried to move to faster lane. I allowed it once as I knew I could take the next exit to see what it would do and it was starting to miss the exit and then slammed on brakes (like 70-40) and try to jerk over.

Multiple times with a bag in the road or piece of trash the car jerked into oncoming traffic. The display showed a cone.

11.4.2 was great for me. It had issues with turn lanes (dangerously tried to enter them at 55 mph) and had issues with left turns (would stop in the middle of the road). It's still doing that, but introduced this other stuff.

I reset the computer, but I've had it since Saturday and it hasn't gotten better.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and rlsd