Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
This evening, driving at 53mph down a 50mph road, no cars in the oncoming lane and one car behind, dark, when out of nowhere I get frantic beeping the car jams on the brakes, autopilot goes off and not only did it scare the beegezus out of me so bad that I swerved in my lane, but the car behind me came within a few car lengths of me and I have to wonder what they thought. I am beginning not to be a fan of 11.4.7.

Joe

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
This evening, driving at 53mph down a 50mph road, no cars in the oncoming lane and one car behind, dark, when out of nowhere I get frantic beeping the car jams on the brakes, autopilot goes off and not only did it scare the beegezus out of me so bad that I swerved in my lane, but the car behind me came within a few car lengths of me and I have to wonder what they thought. I am beginning not to be a fan of 11.4.7.

Joe
But, but… you should not be surprised….

Joe
There’s probably a deer out there thinking “phew, that was close”…

Joe
The folks behind you may have thought there was a deer or other animal or debris in the road. If I was behind you at night this is what I would think. A little part of me wants to believe if you went back and analyzed the footage, there was an animal or something it saw at it was operating at a superhuman level, the other part knows tomorrow it’ll drive me off the road on to the shoulder to make a wide open right turn for no reason. I‘m with you on 11.4.7 needing 1000x more attention while supervising it.

@fasteddie7, When I first turned the wipers on auto, they did not work at all… I had to use manual wipers. The third or fourth time I switched it to auto in the same drive, and it started working normally. The wipers have been working on auto normally ever since.

Joe
Was that about 4:00 PM Thursday? Because I went on a couple of 25 mile trips. Twas a bright and shining day and about 4:00 on the second trip the wipers suddenly wiped 3 times then went back to sleep? No traffic around, no rain, no sprinkles, no birds, nothing smeared or changes. The windshield was completely clean before and after. . . . . . . .

For the last few releases, probably all in the FSDb 11.4.n series, I've been troubled by something that many of you may sometimes welcome as more human-like.

The car is far more likely than before to venture out well past the stop line intending to make a left turn when the intersection is not yet clear. When this works well, it serves as a declaration of intent, and saves a very small amount of time once the coast is clear as the car gets going.

One downside is that it marks the car as a law-breaker and claimer of privilege. A bigger downside is that if the clear path does not open up in time it leaves the car stranded too far out into the intersection, with lousy choices of "nosing on through" the traffic or just sitting there expecting other traffic to find a way around the car.

Now, granted, here in Albuquerque a substantial portion of human drivers routinely venture a couple of car-lengths farther yet than FSDb into intersections they cannot immediately clear, so in and of itself this is not way outside common practice. But those human drives are likely quite a bit better at the subtle negotiations from driver to driver that end such situations.

This is a troublesome behavior to avoid--I need to get better at noticing that the state of an intersection risks this trouble, and disengaging early enough that I am not just fixing in place the already bad position.

As I've not seen much comment on this particular behavior, I gather that most of you either do not experience it or consider it benign.

Anyone else noticing a parasitic battery drain on 11.4.7? Charged to 80% as always, ran into town this morning, ran some errands, parked the car with 76% SOC, just checked, SoC is now 74%. No cabin overheat protection or sentry mode on all day. Never seen this, or maybe never paid attention? Car is plugged in too.
No trips, no sentry, no music, no climate, everything turned off except cabin overheat protection is on and the weather hasn't changed.
My 2022 YLR charged 3 kwh on 30th, 2 kw on 31st and 5kw today. Not a big deal, $0.90, but with 11.4.4 it would go several days without charging, so something new is using juice. Should I worry that it is using power covertly spying on me and reporting my misdeeds?

I tried to talk to the Tesla sales girl about panel gaps, but there was a generation gap
Same here for my recent inventory purchase. I asked the sales chick via phone how many miles, 2 was the answer. I then asked, how about the panel gaps? What? I had to explain the joke/history.........generation gap indeed...........

Last edited:
Car ran stop sign yesterday morning. it was were I turn right Daily. I get the sense FSD was thinking about making the right and forgot the STOP first. Car slowed from 40 down to 19 ran the sign and stopped 3/4 of the way through the intersection.

Still stopping and holding at my X intersection. The signal must just be too far away, and outside the cameras approved range.

For the last few releases, probably all in the FSDb 11.4.n series, I've been troubled by something that many of you may sometimes welcome as more human-like.

The car is far more likely than before to venture out well past the stop line intending to make a left turn when the intersection is not yet clear. When this works well, it serves as a declaration of intent, and saves a very small amount of time once the coast is clear as the car gets going.

One downside is that it marks the car as a law-breaker and claimer of privilege. A bigger downside is that if the clear path does not open up in time it leaves the car stranded too far out into the intersection, with lousy choices of "nosing on through" the traffic or just sitting there expecting other traffic to find a way around the car.

Now, granted, here in Albuquerque a substantial portion of human drivers routinely venture a couple of car-lengths farther yet than FSDb into intersections they cannot immediately clear, so in and of itself this is not way outside common practice. But those human drives are likely quite a bit better at the subtle negotiations from driver to driver that end such situations.

This is a troublesome behavior to avoid--I need to get better at noticing that the state of an intersection risks this trouble, and disengaging early enough that I am not just fixing in place the already bad position.

As I've not seen much comment on this particular behavior, I gather that most of you either do not experience it or consider it benign.

I have had an issue with this and previous versions where the car would wait in the middle of the intersection at a unprotected left signal. While this is very human like, it doesn't want to clear the intersection when the light turns yellow or even red creating a block in the intersection. This sounds similar to behavior you describe, where it shows an intent, but fails to follow thru creating a bigger problem.

On the positive side, 11.4.7 is more assertive about jumping into gaps when in an unprotected right turn and the approching cross traffic is slowing to turn into the direction you are coming from.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
The folks behind you may have thought there was a deer or other animal or debris in the road. If I was behind you at night this is what I would think. A little part of me wants to believe if you went back and analyzed the footage, there was an animal or something it saw at it was operating at a superhuman level, the other part knows tomorrow it’ll drive me off the road on to the shoulder to make a wide open right turn for no reason. I‘m with you on 11.4.7 needing 1000x more attention while supervising it.
I was surprised yesterday when 11.4.7 slowed for a rabbit crossing in front of the car.

Tesla has been shipping FSD Beta 11.3.6 on factory vehicle software versions but only recently deployed 11.4.4 to the wider main software version. I wonder which one officially moved "Autosteer on city streets" to current set of FSD Capability? Perhaps it was related to adding HW4 compatibility? Or someone realizing it's time to recognize revenue in Q3? Or something incoming for newly delivered vehicles?

One downside is that it marks the car as a law-breaker and claimer of privilege. ...
Is this really illegal in NM? In most states, not only is it legal but how we are taught to drive in drivers ed and is the most considerate to other drivers since usually a couple cars can complete the left turn legally once the light turns red and not have to wait for the next turn arrow. When I see someone wait behind the line on the left turn blocking everyone behind them, well, my opinion of that driver is not flattering. Same bucket as folks who crawl along in the left lane on the freeway forcing everyone to pass on the right.
I have found that 11.4.6 handled left turns through traffic reasonably well although it does tend to get closer to the line separating me from oncoming traffic than I am comfortable with so I often end up disengaging via the brake to leave some more room.

Or was your post referring to 4-way stops? In that case, I agree you must stop behind the line until your turn however the phrase "when the coast is clear" makes me think this is a traffic light scenario.

I absolutely am hating FSD crossing solid white lines to take right turns. Just confuses everyone behind the car, especially since there never is space to go around people going straight but waiting at a red light.
11.4.7 took the Bus Only lane with the intention to make left turn. I had to force the car to cross the solid white line to get back to the right lane.

What drives me crazy is when FSD creeps too far forward and to the left of center and forcing cars to swing wide around me when turning into my road. Often times the creep forces the other car to hesitate and/or stop and messes up with the normal traffic flow.

And there it is, folks. Tesla has updated their order page so that FSD is no longer coming later this year/soon. It’s now available. It’s done. They’re actually selling this garbage as if it’s a finished product. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well done, Tesla. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED aside from "Your car will be able to drive itself almost anywhere with minimal driver intervention and will continuously improve." 😂

Is this really illegal in NM? In most states, not only is it legal but how we are taught to drive in drivers ed and is the most considerate to other drivers since usually a couple cars can complete the left turn legally once the light turns red and not have to wait for the next turn arrow. When I see someone wait behind the line on the left turn blocking everyone behind them, well, my opinion of that driver is not flattering. Same bucket as folks who crawl along in the left lane on the freeway forcing everyone to pass on the right.
I have found that 11.4.6 handled left turns through traffic reasonably well although it does tend to get closer to the line separating me from oncoming traffic than I am comfortable with so I often end up disengaging via the brake to leave some more room.

Or was your post referring to 4-way stops? In that case, I agree you must stop behind the line until your turn however the phrase "when the coast is clear" makes me think this is a traffic light scenario.
Not sure if this is exactly the same thing but for several versions FSD will start to creep out from a stop sign while waiting for an opening in cross traffic even though it has completely clear sight lines and doesn’t need to. I *think* it will stop at the creep line which is typically right at the edge of the traffic lane but it’s still poor/unsafe behavior because it confuses other drivers since i t looks like I’m creeping into traffic and also puts the car unnecessarily lose to cross traffic, increasing the risk of an accident.