Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Regarding pedestrians, it's scary how much trouble FSD has after all these years. In our neighborhood FSD struggles on a 40mph road with nice wide bike lanes, no parking zones, wide sidewalks but yet FSD needlessly brakes for pedestrians walking on the sidewalk parallel to traffic flow and no where near a crosswalk. I don't see any human drivers braking for that scenario. Maybe TSLA's training data is overfit for San Fran city streets where pedestrians make rapid direction changes?

For me the more recent software releases forced the car to drive too close to parked cars. Maybe there isn't much training data with parked car doors flying open?

Reactions: Ramphex
I don’t have to deal with pedestrians much as there are sidewalks in most of the areas I drive but the last several versions have handled cyclists quite well, exactly as I would - slows down, moves over then moves back into the lane and speeds up afterwards. I’ve haven’t had anyone seem annoyed. Most do move further over which is is prudent on their part.

Legally cyclists are considered vehicles in terms of lane usage so if FSD sees them as being in the lane rather than on the shoulder then it may behave as such. I haven’t experienced that myself, though.

Reactions: DrGriz
For those of you in Seattle enjoying the crazy rains the last few days, it’s solidified how broken FSD is in regards the wipers. They’re either going crazy, not wiping early enough, speeding up, slowing down - ugh. Such crap.
A question on WiperGate. Just curiosity. If you turn off FSDbeta, do the wipers revert to their "normal" behavior?

My wipers have been OK, no dry wipes. 11.4.7. But we've had no rain since this version arrived.

Looks like roughly 2% rollout of 2023.27.6 / 11.4.7.1 to existing 2023.7.30 / 11.4.7 according to both TeslaFi and Teslascope. Release notes from Tesla API show just "minor fixes" relative to the feature parity update, e.g., Charge on Solar, Spotify Refresh, Scroll Wheel Customization.

For those able to track WiFi upload, maybe there'll be some indication if V12 shadow mode is active in sending back more video snapshots?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
A question on WiperGate. Just curiosity. If you turn off FSDbeta, do the wipers revert to their "normal" behavior?

My wipers have been OK, no dry wipes. 11.4.7. But we've had no rain since this version arrived.
I'm temporarily out of FSDb because I had the gall to look at the road instead of at the screen but when I was using FSD and in the last few days using AP I've had similar behavior. Continual dry wipes, inconsistent behavior when it actually is raining. I'll turn the wipers off of auto but as soon as I use Auto Pilot or even cruise control the get set back to Auto and don't turn off even when AP or TACC is disengaged. Incredibly annoying.