Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
11.4.7 - Wipers under FSD. They really need to push out a fix, just let us have the option to turn off the wipers during FSD. They can take it away when FSD is Level 4. This is horrific with the wiping. Everyday you turn on FSD and the wipers come on for no reason. Even under manual driving they come on, an while in Park too, but at least you can turn them off. How was this release ever approved with this glaring malfunction. It seems to be getting worse by the day. Who is responsible for this, somebody needs to be held accountable.

On 11.4.4 and 11.4.7, I haven't had a single instance of dry wipe wipers while on FSD and I use it daily. I have noticed that in the rain they are now slower to activate in that they seem to occasionally ignore a rain covered windshield for a bit. That is something new for me.

The whole camera suite is inadequate. The trunk camera becomes useless in the rain, for one thing. I’m sure their engineers know that Tesla (Elon) has dug itself/himself into a perpetual hole. The reason you’re not seeing camera changes or additional cameras is that it would essentially be admitting defeat. Thus the day any more cameras are added to the S3XY models is the day the pitchforks come out. I don’t doubt Tesla’s goal is to delay FSD as long as possible so that we’ve all traded in our cars and can’t complain anymore.

As I’ve said (and many others have said, too) many times before, FSD is never ever coming to any of the cars currently on the street beyond a basic Level 2 functionality. Never. Quote me on this any time you like.
Sadly it took me 4 previous Teslas before purchasing my Refresh S to fully clear my head and realize this. My 2021 S was my first Tesla I purchased W/O FSD.

The point you're missing is obstructed view intersections where FSD cannot see nearly as well as a human. Today is a perfect example. If you pinch in and look closely at the photo below you will notice a car is approaching. That was my view after creeping as far forward as I dared to. Obviously I didn't proceed. The B-pillar camera cannot see that car until it's much closer so when FSD makes a decision to go it's often the wrong decision. How do I know? Because I've had to hit the brakes hard to avoid pulling out right in front of the car or in one case an 18 wheeler. The B-pillar is obstructed by shrubs and a tree but because a human can lean forward there is no obstruction.
IMG_1927.jpeg
Here’s another that worries me. There’s always a trailer or two and several shipping containers in the way of the view. The only way I know a car is coming is looking in the space under the trailer. I highly doubt FsDb is looking at it the same way, which is why when it darts out after stopping I wonder if it really knows if anything is coming or not, or if it truly knows something I don’t see.

That's a bit self-centered of you, you know. You could just move to a dryer climate........Ever lived in Death Valley?
But that is the problem since they wipe more the dryer it is. So moving the Death Vally would just lead to more dry wiping with more sand on the windshield. I just want the dry wiping to stop already and then I can move on to complaining about something else.

But still hurry up roll out 27.6 since I also want me some new features. Should come with a free set of wipers too.

View attachment 977839
Here’s another that worries me. There’s always a trailer or two and several shipping containers in the way of the view. The only way I know a car is coming is looking in the space under the trailer. I highly doubt FsDb is looking at it the same way, which is why when it darts out after stopping I wonder if it really knows if anything is coming or not, or if it truly knows something I don’t see.

This is from 2018 and it would be just as easy to make the camera side facing.