Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I don't know what's impressive about this. The car doesn't even seem to slow down until the deer is mostly past the car already.
Having been in this situation myself it’s more about the quick response especially when traveling at high speeds. Looks like two things happened here, a quick deceleration plus quick but slight turn to the right. Both done at same time was enough to avoid the deer.

Hard to appreciate what FSD did here but will say it’s not easy for a human to do without potentially losing control of the vehicle by overturning/over-braking or just not reacting quick enough.

Also should add that a little bit of luck probably played in to this as well..;)

Just got back from a round trip drive from DC to Toronto on 11.4.4. FSD actually was unexpectedly and surprisingly good, especially on some of the rural roads in PA we were routed too. Only had one instance of darting into a turn lane and no phantom braking incidents. It even handled some rain well. I made sure to throughly clean all the cameras at every super charger stop which I think helped.

Definitely finally got 200 dollars worth of service out of FSD. Made the 9 hour trip super easy to make.

Latest with my commute on 11.4.7.2 - had many more extra commutes this last week.
Got a better idea of why the wipers are so jacked up on these last few builds.
Driving down I35 on a lovely sunny morning, wipers doing the usual wiping the dry windshield, then wiping a few more times to be sure.
The icing on the cake - the display shows "Full Self-Driving may be degraded - Poor weather detected"
There wasn't a single cloud in the sky, no water on the screen, newly cleaned.
No wonder it can't figure out when to wipe.
Same thing happened to me two nights ago. Beautiful evening, wiping like crazy and FSD degraded.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Having been in this situation myself it’s more about the quick response especially when traveling at high speeds. Looks like two things happened here, a quick deceleration plus quick but slight turn to the right. Both done at same time was enough to avoid the deer.

Hard to appreciate what FSD did here but will say it’s not easy for a human to do without potentially losing control of the vehicle by overturning/over-braking or just not reacting quick enough.

Also should add that a little bit of luck probably played in to this as well..;)
I see the car moving left towards the deer after the deer has already passed by. It still seems like even with no action, the deer would have been spared and the move left actually would have made it worse if it moved left earlier.

It seems like the car's responses are not fast enough, as in it initially decided to move left to avoid an obstacle that showed up on the right side but by the time it executed the move, the deer was on the left side.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Has anyone get a navigation route where you take a turn followed immediately by a U-Turn in the middle of the road? I've had this problem for the past 2+ years regardless of map version. FSD takes the right hand turn, goes 100 yards and stops in the middle of the secondary road with the message the maneuver is not supported.
Just got the NA-2023 map last week. Reported to Tesla after every map update.

Map Routing Error.png

Been reporting bad stuff with 11.4.7.2 recently but this evening the unthinkable happened.
The drive home back through my stress test neighborhood was amazingly good.
I had zero grab the steering wheel interventions, no braking interventions and a total of two pedal presses to get it going.
Other than that is was one a the best that FSD has ever managed. Previous versions didn't even come close.
Amazed

I haven't seen this posted in this thread yet. You guys with wiper problems, have you tried this: Reddit - Dive into anything

Cleaning the windshield under (over?) The camera cluster from the side inside the cabin (requires removal of camera box)?

11.4.7.2 still trying to murder me btw. I'm starting to think I'm on some kind of list.
I mean... it's possible that everyone is having the same issue at the same time with a dirty windshield? For what it's worth, I had zero issues with the wipers behaving like they are now before 11.4.7, and the very same day I installed that version, - bam, wipers suck and wiping on a beautiful day. I mean coincidences are possible, but I was ready for it based on what others had said they experienced, and yep - junk. Plus surely the fact that they don't wipe properly when it's actually raining is indicator enough that something is just broken?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I haven't seen this posted in this thread yet. You guys with wiper problems, have you tried this: Reddit - Dive into anything

Cleaning the windshield under (over?) The camera cluster from the side inside the cabin (requires removal of camera box)?

11.4.7.2 still trying to murder me btw. I'm starting to think I'm on some kind of list.
Maybe it wants to be the hamster pope and views you as competition?

Unfortunately this has been an intentional feature since v11.4.1 was released in May. From the release notes: 2023.7.26 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

"- Improved ego's assertiveness for crossing pedestrians in cases where ego can easily and safely cross before the pedestrian."

Prior to this version, FSD Beta would yield to all pedestrians in crosswalks. It wasn't how most humans drive (in my experience, most drivers and even most pedestrians expect you to pass, and it can cause surprise to both parties when you stop), but it was the correct thing to do according to the law. But like Cruise, Tesla seems to be prioritizing passenger comfort and convenience over a greater VRU margin of safety.

Pedestrians are tricky. Of course a pedestrian always has the right of way. There was a recent video where FSD ignored a dad walking a child to school across traffic. And another with a mom and baby carriage at an intersection crosswalk. It's a fine line with abundant scenario considerations. High density urban, rural, and everything in between. It's difficult enough for v11 and likely impossible with easy-peasy v12 E2E photon magic.

Reactions: diplomat33