Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
When you say eliminate, what is your hand placement?
Only the right hand matters it seems. Closed or nearly closed on the right knee. Camera thinks it’s gripping the wheel I’d imagine. It’s definitely the camera because if there’s a nag because I’m grabbing a drink, when I reach for the wheel it stops without applying any torque.

I have my left hand near for safety since I had a passenger recording, but it’s placement is irrelevant.

Only the right hand matters it seems. Closed or nearly closed on the right knee. Camera thinks it’s gripping the wheel I’d imagine. It’s definitely the camera because if there’s a nag because I’m grabbing a drink, when I reach for the wheel it stops without applying any torque.

I have my left hand near for safety since I had a passenger recording, but it’s placement is i
Wouldn't the camera view of you depend greatly on your seat placement?

Wouldn't the camera view of you depend greatly on your seat placement?
As long as your hand is near the wheel, the camera can definitely see it since the entire wheel and edge of the seat is in the cabin view, and that‘s just if what we see from the cabin view on screen is all it sees and it isn’t a cropped image delivered to users while the system can “see” even more.

In regards to the wiper function, is anyone using RainX on their windshield? Perhaps this has something to do or not with the wiper function?
I have a brand new windshield. 49.9k on the car and about 2k on the windshield. Worked fine before 11.7.2 with the new windshield (no product other than invisi glass) and the behavior changed significantly with 11.7.2 to match most of what others here describe.

Hi everyone,

I’m considering a Tesla again and have been primarily waiting for Phantom Braking to go away (mainly on the highways). From what I can tell, it’s significantly better using FSD 11.7.4.3 than the standard, non FSD stack. Is this correct?

How is phantom braking on long road trips now and what does it feel like? Have any major incidents happened to you while on FSD code using Autopilot/TACC on the freeway?
Last week we drove - uh, make that FSD drove from the Bay Area to So. Cal, 700+ miles round trip. Shortly after leaving home it started to slow down from 70 because it thought the speed limit changed to 55. It does it at that spot ever time. So, no actual phantom braking.

At one point I disengaged for a round-about because the nav was saying to take the wrong exit. Another driver got pissed off at me when he tried to pass me on the right just as I was turning right on my exit, and the eyes on the back of my head blinked so I didn't see him. Our car, however, did see had beeped loudly 'cause it was scared too. A quick punch on the go pedal and the conflict was resolved with only one harsh honk from the car we didn't hit. I should have trusted FSD is what I'm saying. We don't have roundabout in our regular routes, so I don't know what to expect from FSD.

Bear in mind that this particular forum is populated mostly by FSD testers, and we tend to report every little glitch or uncomfortable FSD behavior. Some here call FSD "junk", but then perhaps they work for GM, who knows. So this may not be the best place for advice.

Back to your questions. FSD on freeways is substantially better than the AP stack IMHO. Handles curves better and slows nicely for off-ramps, unlike AP. It does still have some quirks, like not remembering that I prefer the Minimal Lane Change setting, and taking too long to make some requested lane changes. I've had no significant phantom braking on 11.4.7.2.

You might want subscribe rather than buy FSD. Two reasons: it would take years of subscribing to equal the purchase price, and if you sign up for the experimental testing version, only subscribers are allowed to go back to the production branch. Us purchasers are like in the Hotel California, we can never leave.

I have my left hand near for safety since I had a passenger recording, but it’s placement is irrelevant.
Ok thanks, I already watched your video and tried it. It hasn't worked for me yet.

Ok thanks, I already watched your video and tried it. It hasn't worked for me yet.
I think like we were discussing before, must be a hardware 4 thing. Realistically though, hands right near the wheel are a must these days as every update brings new unpredictable behaviors. Other than a few outlier scenarios, the first 11.4 Update was the most solid overall with the most consistently predictable behavior.

Last week we drove - uh, make that FSD drove from the Bay Area to So. Cal, 700+ miles round trip. Shortly after leaving home it started to slow down from 70 because it thought the speed limit changed to 55. It does it at that spot ever time. So, no actual phantom braking.

At one point I disengaged for a round-about because the nav was saying to take the wrong exit. Another driver got pissed off at me when he tried to pass me on the right just as I was turning right on my exit, and the eyes on the back of my head blinked so I didn't see him. Our car, however, did see had beeped loudly 'cause it was scared too. A quick punch on the go pedal and the conflict was resolved with only one harsh honk from the car we didn't hit. I should have trusted FSD is what I'm saying. We don't have roundabout in our regular routes, so I don't know what to expect from FSD.

Bear in mind that this particular forum is populated mostly by FSD testers, and we tend to report every little glitch or uncomfortable FSD behavior. Some here call FSD "junk", but then perhaps they work for GM, who knows. So this may not be the best place for advice.

Back to your questions. FSD on freeways is substantially better than the AP stack IMHO. Handles curves better and slows nicely for off-ramps, unlike AP. It does still have some quirks, like not remembering that I prefer the Minimal Lane Change setting, and taking too long to make some requested lane changes. I've had no significant phantom braking on 11.4.7.2.

You might want subscribe rather than buy FSD. Two reasons: it would take years of subscribing to equal the purchase price, and if you sign up for the experimental testing version, only subscribers are allowed to go back to the production branch. Us purchasers are like in the Hotel California, we can never leave.
Thank you for the write-up. Glad to hear that there is no more significant phantom braking. Since I'd plan on using this mainly on highways, my aim would be to get into the highway FSD stack for as little money as possible per month, until it trickles down to stardard Autopilot.

Does subscribing to EAP for $99 per month bring the full FSD stack to highways? Is there another way to get it for free (I believe if you signed up for the beta in the past, got it, and then unsubscribed, you still got to keep the FSD stack).

That ended the discussion and they are replacing for free. Otherwise they wanted $2700 for those black trim pieces around our windows.

I had that black trim discoloration on my Model 3 and again on my first early VIN Model Y. Interesting that it only happened when I used a car wash (touchless). Easily fixed by using a damp cloth with WD-40. Tesla did finally fix the black chrome discoloration problem. Doesn't happen on my new HW4 Model Y.
There’s another thread on this but picking a trim material that won’t stand up to a car wash is piss poor design.

Thank you for the write-up. Glad to hear that there is no more significant phantom braking. Since I'd plan on using this mainly on highways, my aim would be to get into the highway FSD stack for as little money as possible per month, until it trickles down to stardard Autopilot.

Does subscribing to EAP for $99 per month bring the full FSD stack to highways? Is there another way to get it for free (I believe if you signed up for the beta in the past, got it, and then unsubscribed, you still got to keep the FSD stack).
There is no subscription option for EAP, only $200 for FSD with which you can choose to only use EAP.

Hi everyone,

I’m considering a Tesla again and have been primarily waiting for Phantom Braking to go away (mainly on the highways). From what I can tell, it’s significantly better using FSD 11.7.4.3 than the standard, non FSD stack. Is this correct?

How is phantom braking on long road trips now and what does it feel like? Have any major incidents happened to you while on FSD code using Autopilot/TACC on the freeway?
FSDb seems to be a lot better than AP as far as phantom braking goes. Of course there are other issues with FSDb.
In my experience FSDb does really well on highways and major routes.

In regards to the wiper function, is anyone using RainX on their windshield? Perhaps this has something to do or not with the wiper function?
I use silicon based cleaner that also leaves similar streaks as Rain X and never had issues until recent versions, so I don't think this is the issue.

I just received 11.4.7.3 and am also scheduled to do 400km trip today so I'll get to find out if there are differences in many conditions, including rain. :rolleyes:

Based on what I read so far here though, the only difference I see is potentially the wheel nag has further loosened.

Reactions: Pdubs
I think like we were discussing before, must be a hardware 4 thing. Realistically though, hands right near the wheel are a must these days as every update brings new unpredictable behaviors. Other than a few outlier scenarios, the first 11.4 Update was the most solid overall with the most consistently predictable behavior.
HW 3. Installed 11.4.7.3 yesterday. Hands on my lap, I went 10 miles down divided state highway, took the exit. Passed through one green light, stopped at a red light, turned left, two miles down two lane divided road, turned right onto tertiary road. Only then did I get a nag.

HW 3. Installed 11.4.7.3 yesterday. Hands on my lap, I went 10 miles down divided state highway, took the exit. Passed through one green light, stopped at a red light, turned left, two miles down two lane divided road, turned right onto tertiary road. Only then did I get a nag.
I wonder if you talk like Elon while you are driving maybe the car can be fooled into going into Elon mode.

No, holding down both scroll buttons for a few seconds. The display goes dark and "reboots". Then I go to the software tab.

(edit- Just checked and 2023.32.9 does appear to be working correctly. However I didn't get 2023.32.9 until I did the screen refresh a couple of days ago)
Yea, so I do that yesterday, and it did update to the current date (saying that it was up to date).
Of course I woke up this morning with my car offering to update the software which means that there is really no correlation between when you ask the car to manually check for updates and when an update is actually available for your car?

Considering there's no easy way to "just" get the FSDb stack for highway without paying for FSDb, I'd hope that the full-stack gets pushed to standard Autopilot much sooner than later. I wish there was a way to know.
I would expect that to be the case eventually. Like all timing issues with Tesla, ‘when’ is a very big question.