Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
You'd think it would be heavily trained pulling into Tesla, but it didn't appear to be in the left turn lane when it turned, it just took the turn from the straight on lane. I heard the "ok then" from the occupants
Yes. As many expected, it's gonna take time before v12 E2E gets dialed-in to the v11 level, if ever. I wouldn't be surprised if they admit/spin some heuristics are needed after all.

Lane selection is same as what it used to be meaning it's still worse. The car goes to the extreme right lane and then comes back to the left lanes to turn left.
As before, the car does not take the exit even tho the voice guidance instructions are to take exit and the car is in the exit lane but does not exit. Embarrassing. I don't know what my car is smoking at this point 😀

Reactions: mgs333
Lane selection is same as what it used to be meaning it's still worse. The car goes to the extreme right lane and then comes back to the left lanes to turn left.
As before, the car does not take the exit even tho the voice guidance instructions are to take exit and the car is in the exit lane but does not exit. Embarrassing. I don't know what my car is smoking at this point 😀
FSDj
IMG_0161.gif

• Funny
Reactions: aronth5 and bhakan
Almost hate to jinx myself but I'm having 2 major improvements.
  • Not a single dry wipe (please let this continue)
  • Almost no wheel nags.
Today I drove from gym to condo at almost 3 miles in the city (about ¾ mile through a neighborhood but the rest urban) and 0 nags. Also drove several miles on interstates with only 2 nags. Has been rare on nags since update. Should I say "thanks NHTSA" for that? 🤔 🤣
No nags with no hands on wheel?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
No nags with no hands on wheel?
Um. Are you suggesting that It's A Wonderful Thing To Take One's Hands Off The Steering Wheel When Driving on FSD?

Yeah, Ford shows nifty advertisements with people playing patty cake with the car self-driving along. And I keep on wondering, every time I see that ad, just how Involved the drivers are in Patty Cake, and just how fast they can mentally switch gears when an out-of-control Toyota (see: California's Skyline Blvd.) comes barreling their way. And, once they realize that the situation is Dire, how fast they can get their hands on the steering wheels.

There's a real thing called a therblig. Not having one's hands on the controls is Not A Good Idea, at least not in these days of FSD still being a Beta.

Um. Are you suggesting that It's A Wonderful Thing To Take One's Hands Off The Steering Wheel When Driving on FSD?

Yeah, Ford shows nifty advertisements with people playing patty cake with the car self-driving along. And I keep on wondering, every time I see that ad, just how Involved the drivers are in Patty Cake, and just how fast they can mentally switch gears when an out-of-control Toyota (see: California's Skyline Blvd.) comes barreling their way. And, once they realize that the situation is Dire, how fast they can get their hands on the steering wheels.

There's a real thing called a therblig. Not having one's hands on the controls is Not A Good Idea, at least not in these days of FSD still being a Beta.
No, but since nags only appear when the car measures a state of hands being required but not detected it is not really notable to have 0 nags with your hands on the wheel.
No, I usually have a hand or hands "touching" the wheel, just not applying ANY torque unless nagged.
That is enough to satisfy the sensor because it senses resistance when the car moves the wheel & thus it will have a state of "hands on detected".

No, but since nags only appear when the car measures a state of hands being required but not detected it is not really notable to have 0 nags with your hands on the wheel.

That is enough to satisfy the sensor because it senses resistance when the car moves the wheel & thus it will have a state of "hands on detected".
For many of us the sensor rarely detects anything, so there are (or were) constant nags. I used to get constant nags. Now that the cameras are used, I rarely get nagged. And I keep my hands on the wheel 99.9% of the time.

No, I'm a 5 yearer at this and I KNOW the amount of torque it takes to activate the torque sensor in the wheel. My hands are at most "capacitance" touching the wheel (for safety in heavy urban driving) and apply no torque that the sensor could pick up. As I stated the low number of nags is a new behavior since the NHTSA update. Anecdotal? Probably but what I have experienced so far.