Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please include summaries of videos...

This video is about the first impressions of the FSD Beta v11.4.8.1 update. The speaker, Chuck Cook, goes over the release notes and then takes a drive to test out the new features. He also talks about the Cybertruck delivery event that he recently attended.

Here are some of the key points from the video:
  • The new video module is the biggest change in this release. It is supposed to improve performance and lower latency.
  • Chuck did not notice any major changes in the way the car handles.
  • He did notice that the car was a little bit more hesitant to go through yellow lights.
  • Chuck thinks that the two-week period when the ADS drivers were in his neighborhood was probably a data collection session for V12.
  • Overall, Chuck is happy with the FSD Beta v11.4.8.1 update. He thinks it is a step in the right direction.

I hope this summary is helpful!

We have learned to be prepared for the various wrong lane issues of our exiting version. But the one that is the most dangerous now is incorrect signalling, or signalling when not required. Drivers see the signal, think you are turning and pull in front of you. For this reason we only use it in clear dry conditions now and even then less and less all the time.

Nope - the most dangerous is the way it handles roundabouts. I bet if I don't intervene - within a few days it will have an accident.
The behavior is still not great, but the last two FSDb releases have definitely improved roundabout navigation for me. FSDb will pretty much correctly do all single lane roundabouts that are near me. The car yields when needed and enters when safe. FSDb also will correctly do a multilane roundabout, but I'm still hesitant when the traffic is heavy and I usually disengage.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
You guys are brave for letting FSD navigate roundabouts. I let my Tesla handle a single lane roundabout once and it quite literally froze in place. Never again.
There are tons of roundabouts near my house. Most are single lane, but a good percentage are double lane. Like you I had given up on using FSDb for any roundabout because the behavior was too erratic. However, the last few firmware's have made single lane roundabouts drivable and I'd say the success rate for multilane roundabouts is about 50%. It may just be that the NN "knows" my roundabouts because it's seen them so many times. 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
The behavior is still not great, but the last two FSDb releases have definitely improved roundabout navigation for me. FSDb will pretty much correctly do all single lane roundabouts that are near me. The car yields when needed and enters when safe. FSDb also will correctly do a multilane roundabout, but I'm still hesitant when the traffic is heavy and I usually disengage.
There are issues still with single lane roundabouts.

Basically - they have not trained the vehicle trajectory network enough on roundabouts. So, a vehicle in the roundabout that might not take an exit but continue will not stop the Tesla. In bigger roundabouts, you have enough time to sneak in ... but in smaller roundabouts when a vehicle is in the roundabout (to the left) you have to stop and wait for that vehicle to exit before entering the roundabout. FSD doesn't do that ... so many times I have to hard brake to stop Tesla from entering the roundabout right ahead of a car coming from the left.

Second issue is that the creep limit at roundabouts is too far into the roundabout. If you let the car go all the way to the creep limit it will freak out cars coming from the left and they will hard brake or honk or both.

Third annoying thing is ... the car will enter the round about and greatly slow down / stop for no reason sometimes.

Fourth, if a vehicle comes from the right, the car will hesitate / stop - even though we have the right of way and the car from the right is slowing to a stop.

Fifth, the car will sometimes stop at the entrance to the roundabout .... in an empty roundabout. Sometimes it won't !

FSD doesn't do that ... so many times I have to hard brake to stop Tesla from entering the roundabout right ahead of a car coming from the left.

This is fascinating. Is it primarily one roundabout, or all of them for you?

There's a roundabout near my house where FSD exhibits exactly the opposite behavior: if there is any vehicle in the roundabout, it will come to a complete stop at the yield line. If the roundabout is empty, it will cruise through.

Maybe the behavior is dependent on the sightlines? In my case, I'm usually approaching it from a bit of a crest, so FSD has a view down onto the entire circle.

There's a small one-lane roundabout near my place, prob 90% of the time there's no other cars when I'm approaching it.

Car is still often jerky, hesitant, sometimes just stopping mid-roundabout for no apparently reason.

Other times it does it fine.

One update to the next it's more of one behavior vs the other but it's always at least SOME of both.

Larger (one lane) roundabouts it seems to handle a lot better.

I have a Model S (refresh) delivered Sept 2021, with FSD. I have been catching up on this (great) thread and have a couple questions:
1) FSD ’promises’: there are a couple posts in here that reference a pre 4/2019 promise re FSD capability which is different than the post 4/2019 promise. What does this mean for me. Will I be expected to ’pay to upgrade’ (HW, etc) if I actually want FSD that works at L4+. Which leads to my next question,
2) HW4: based on the posts in a different thread, I think I have HW3. Is it Tesla’s intent to make FSD (L4+) available on HW3? This thread seems to imply that Software version V12 will work on HW3 or HW4. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
I have a Model S (refresh) delivered Sept 2020, with FSD. I have been catching up on this (great) thread and have a couple questions:
1) FSD ’promises’: there are a couple posts in here that reference a pre 4/2019 promise re FSD capability which is different than the post 4/2019 promise. What does this mean for me. Will I be expected to ’pay to upgrade’ (HW, etc) if I actually want FSD that works at L4+. Which leads to my next question,
2) HW4: based on the posts in a different thread, I think I have HW3. Is it Tesla’s intent to make FSD (L4+) available on HW3? This thread seems to imply that Software version V12 will work on HW3 or HW4. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any input.
If it was 2020, I don't think it's a refresh. Is your screen vertical or horizal?

There is no upgrade from HW3 to HW4.

It's Tesla's intent to make FSD L4+ on all cars, whether that's possible or not is a mystery, but V12 will work on HW3 and 4.