Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Cancel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people out of the 250k+ that have made deposits so far do we think will ask for them back at some point?
We will probably never know. My guess though will be around 20%. Now is the hype, now is the media coverage - who knows how things will look like in 2+ years. Financing options/possibilities/conditions, competitor products, general "glamour" of Tesla - all that can change.

I think delivery of the cars will be the greatest deciding factor. If Tesla takes 2+ years to deliver then some that need this car for their commute to work might not be able to wait. Especially if their current cars start giving them issues. I also think a fair number will cancel if they don't qualify for the tax credit. Like mentioned above no real way to know.

Reactions: mistermonty705
I don't know. 2 years to volume production, and 2-4 years of production already reserved? That's a long time for people to wait. Life goes on in the meantime and people change their minds for lots of reasons.

As I said, more reservations will come in to replace some of the cancellations.

It has nothing to do with the eventual sales of the car, which I'm sure will be strong.

If no units are shipping Jan 2018, I imagine there will be some migration to other options. Note that by then, used Teslas will be closer to the price of the Model 3, which is where I think some folk will go.

If no units are shipping Jan 2018, I imagine there will be some migration to other options. Note that by then, used Teslas will be closer to the price of the Model 3, which is where I think some folk will go.
But on the other hand, by 2018 the first Model 3's will be delivered and Part 2 of the Reveal will long have happened.

Reservation holders will only get more hyped to get in the Model 3 as their delivery approaches, so I believe people would have to have a VERY good reason to just "get out of the waiting line", meaning you'll never own a Model 3 in another 2-5 years.

Buying a quick second hand Model S is something people can anticipate now also. Model 3 reservations are not made as lightly as many people here would like to believe. (Remember: the current ~350K reservations are the early adopters, i.e. bursting with anticipation for this glorious car that will be unrivaled in its price range. They want to own the future, not an old model S without Autopilot)

I think some of the estimates here for cancellation are low. People have short attention spans and as others have said life will happen during that time and minds will change for a myriad of reasons. I believe the first 100,000 will have the lowest % cancellation simply because these are more of the die hard crowd. Overal I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 50% cancellation rate when all is said and done.

Those who insist only 10-20% of pre-orders will cancel are being highly (and overly) optimistic. 2+ years is an extremely long time to wait for anything, let alone a car.

Among reasons that probably up to 50% or more of reservation holders cancel;

• Use the deposit for an alternate vehicle. This may or may not be a Tesla product.
  • Need the money (tired of waiting).
  • Find out how much options cost (the Model 3 they really want is going to cost $50,000 not $35,000)
  • Expiration of tax credits (possibly jump to vehicle that still qualifies like the Bolt).
  • Tesla has any kind of production delay.
  • Find out that their deposit in the great lakes area, east coast, Canada will take an extra 12-18 months vs west coast delivery... pushing their "early" pre-order to still not receiving the car till 2019.
My personal guess is that cancellations will top 50%. Those least likely to cancel are line waiters who waited in person to put a deposit down. Those who saw a story on CNN, MSNBC or Fox that Tesla had a lot of preorders and quickly did a preorder for two cars online while knowing very little about the car (due to excitement) MOST likely to cancel.

Those who insist only 10-20% of pre-orders will cancel are being highly (and overly) optimistic. 2+ years is an extremely long time to wait for anything, let alone a car.

Among reasons that probably up to 50% or more of reservation holders cancel;

• Use the deposit for an alternate vehicle. This may or may not be a Tesla product.
  • Need the money (tired of waiting).
  • Find out how much options cost (the Model 3 they really want is going to cost $50,000 not $35,000)
  • Expiration of tax credits (possibly jump to vehicle that still qualifies like the Bolt).
  • Tesla has any kind of production delay.
  • Find out that their deposit in the great lakes area, east coast, Canada will take an extra 12-18 months vs west coast delivery... pushing their "early" pre-order to still not receiving the car till 2019.
My personal guess is that cancellations will top 50%. Those least likely to cancel are line waiters who waited in person to put a deposit down. Those who saw a story on CNN, MSNBC or Fox that Tesla had a lot of preorders and quickly did a preorder for two cars online while knowing very little about the car (due to excitement) MOST likely to cancel.

I think you nailed it as those are my exact concerns as well, hence the plan B in my sig. Who knows what will come out that will be even more attractive in that amount of time? I also firmly believe that the M3 will see a production delay simply because of the scale of this car. Everything must go exactly to plan and even then they probably cannot ramp up production for a while longer. It comes down to price as I am prepared to spend about $45k(a little more if very compelling) for AWD, a larger battery, and maybe some options that cannot be added by software.

I am also interested to see whether any of the preorders are people who intend to scalp the M3. Contract or not, it is pretty easy to sell the car after taking delivery as it requires usually just a title change.