TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to Cancel?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by travwill, Apr 1, 2016.

1. travwill

travwill Member

If any of us do decide to cancel and order or even two orders, how do we go about doing that? Email Tesla, call service center, or eventually can it be done online?

2. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

When I cancelled my X reservation I called the national sales number and they took of it without problem. Since it had been a little less than a year the deposit went back on my CC rather than sending a check.

3. RyDad1

RyDad1 Member

How many people out of the 250k+ that have made deposits so far do we think will ask for them back at some point?

4. rog

rog Member

We will probably never know. My guess though will be around 20%. Now is the hype, now is the media coverage - who knows how things will look like in 2+ years. Financing options/possibilities/conditions, competitor products, general "glamour" of Tesla - all that can change.

5. Mr. Watts

Mr. Watts Member

I think delivery of the cars will be the greatest deciding factor. If Tesla takes 2+ years to deliver then some that need this car for their commute to work might not be able to wait. Especially if their current cars start giving them issues. I also think a fair number will cancel if they don't qualify for the tax credit. Like mentioned above no real way to know.

• Like x 1
  6. Bankroetlama

Bankroetlama Member

I think they underestimate how many people will cancel. 20% of 300 000 orders is still 60 000, which causes a high workload on the backoffice

7. mistermonty705

i wonder if they are hiring due to the work load. probably. i have a great resume (AT&T, Nordstrom, and Apple) so ill send it for the heck of it :D..

and i think it may be more like 25-30%. once the hype dies down

8. Breezy

Breezy Member

Probably, most of the current reservations will eventually be canceled. But there will be new reservations come in.

• Like x 1
  9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

"Most" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I'd say a significant number will probably bail if the production launch is significantly delayed.

10. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Probably, that is complete and total nonsense.

• Funny x 3
  11. Beryl

Beryl Member

A significant number will move their reservations over to Model S and some to Model X purchases.

12. Breezy

Breezy Member

I don't know. 2 years to volume production, and 2-4 years of production already reserved? That's a long time for people to wait. Life goes on in the meantime and people change their minds for lots of reasons.

As I said, more reservations will come in to replace some of the cancellations.

It has nothing to do with the eventual sales of the car, which I'm sure will be strong.

13. RyDad1

RyDad1 Member

Why would they do that?

14. McRat

McRat Active Member

If no units are shipping Jan 2018, I imagine there will be some migration to other options. Note that by then, used Teslas will be closer to the price of the Model 3, which is where I think some folk will go.

15. RyDad1

RyDad1 Member

ahh valid point for sure...

16. jeewee3000

jeewee3000 Show me what you got!

But on the other hand, by 2018 the first Model 3's will be delivered and Part 2 of the Reveal will long have happened.

Reservation holders will only get more hyped to get in the Model 3 as their delivery approaches, so I believe people would have to have a VERY good reason to just "get out of the waiting line", meaning you'll never own a Model 3 in another 2-5 years.

Buying a quick second hand Model S is something people can anticipate now also. Model 3 reservations are not made as lightly as many people here would like to believe. (Remember: the current ~350K reservations are the early adopters, i.e. bursting with anticipation for this glorious car that will be unrivaled in its price range. They want to own the future, not an old model S without Autopilot)

17. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I think some of the estimates here for cancellation are low. People have short attention spans and as others have said life will happen during that time and minds will change for a myriad of reasons. I believe the first 100,000 will have the lowest % cancellation simply because these are more of the die hard crowd. Overal I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 50% cancellation rate when all is said and done.

• Like x 2
  18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Those who insist only 10-20% of pre-orders will cancel are being highly (and overly) optimistic. 2+ years is an extremely long time to wait for anything, let alone a car.

Among reasons that probably up to 50% or more of reservation holders cancel;

• Use the deposit for an alternate vehicle. This may or may not be a Tesla product.
    • Need the money (tired of waiting).
    • Find out how much options cost (the Model 3 they really want is going to cost $50,000 not $35,000)
    • Expiration of tax credits (possibly jump to vehicle that still qualifies like the Bolt).
    • Tesla has any kind of production delay.
    • Find out that their deposit in the great lakes area, east coast, Canada will take an extra 12-18 months vs west coast delivery... pushing their "early" pre-order to still not receiving the car till 2019.
    My personal guess is that cancellations will top 50%. Those least likely to cancel are line waiters who waited in person to put a deposit down. Those who saw a story on CNN, MSNBC or Fox that Tesla had a lot of preorders and quickly did a preorder for two cars online while knowing very little about the car (due to excitement) MOST likely to cancel.

• Dislike x 2
  19. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

I think you nailed it as those are my exact concerns as well, hence the plan B in my sig. Who knows what will come out that will be even more attractive in that amount of time? I also firmly believe that the M3 will see a production delay simply because of the scale of this car. Everything must go exactly to plan and even then they probably cannot ramp up production for a while longer. It comes down to price as I am prepared to spend about $45k(a little more if very compelling) for AWD, a larger battery, and maybe some options that cannot be added by software.

I am also interested to see whether any of the preorders are people who intend to scalp the M3. Contract or not, it is pretty easy to sell the car after taking delivery as it requires usually just a title change.

20. hill

hill Member

It's unimaginable that a $35K car will translate over to one that can easily go 6 figures. Two different buying groups, imo.