Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that post you talk about not understanding how the system is behaving. Yet you also say that you were possibly poking things that may or may not have done what you intended. I agree with you that so long as you are unfamiliar with the system it's probably not a good idea to play with it in an unfinished state.

Meanwhile, you make it sound like you're not even driving the car as opposed to simply not using the driver assist features. That makes no sense to me. Do I misunderstand?
poking around yes ~ and had it not been for that poking around, we'd have never known that intermittently - safety assist features were working. And then dropping out. Yes, at first we simply wasted 10 or 15 miles driving around with the hope that cameras would calibrate & boom, we'd be up and running. Not so. So, since we have other transportation, it's garaged until the dang system is operational the way we were lead to believe it would be. Who wants to be out - driving around thinking safety assist is up, only to have it drop out at a most inopportune time. If we'd have gotten the X when it was 1st available to us .... only to find a couple ghosting images through the windshield at night, we do the same thing. Either no night driving, or park it n' wait.

I was notified that a software update was available. Tried install immediately. Update failed, twice. Finally told i have to wait for another update opportunity. Then car turned "off" (displayed on front display) and wouldn't turn back on with brake pedal. Rebooted Touchscreen and then finally - after 5+ minutes, the car came back on... Weird. Sad I didn't get update...

I was notified that a software update was available. Tried install immediately. Update failed, twice. Finally told i have to wait for another update opportunity. Then car turned "off" (displayed on front display) and wouldn't turn back on with brake pedal. Rebooted Touchscreen and then finally - after 5+ minutes, the car came back on... Weird. Sad I didn't get update...
I've experienced something similar with the 2.50.185 update. I still don't have that firmware version, although it does indicate that version number in the "vehicle status screen" (when you click the T icon at the top).

I think it's in shadow mode for the ones who received .36 and tesla will activate it with another small update (while the car is learning or calibrating itself without the messages) to push it to active mode....

People were complaining too much so it may be running in the background now.

Of course, this is pure speculation.

According to interweb, director of AP dev. Sterling Anderson quit / fired Dec 2016... Possible impact or insight into AP2.0 development status?
Cause they hired Chris Lattner from Apple: Tesla Poaches Apple Director for Autopilot Software Unit

Sterling was managing both space X and autopilot. Now he goes 100% to space X and there is dedicated guy fir autopilot. I thinks that's a good thing in long run. Short term there maybe some ramp up time.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Cause they hired Chris Lattner from Apple: Tesla Poaches Apple Director for Autopilot Software Unit

Sterling was managing both space X and autopilot. Now he goes 100% to space X and there is dedicated guy fir autopilot. I thinks that's a good thing in long run. Short term there maybe some ramp up time.

I think you are confusing Sterling and Jinnah Hosein. I don't think Sterling was/is involved in Space X.

poking around yes ~ and had it not been for that poking around, we'd have never known that intermittently - safety assist features were working. And then dropping out. Yes, at first we simply wasted 10 or 15 miles driving around with the hope that cameras would calibrate & boom, we'd be up and running. Not so. So, since we have other transportation, it's garaged until the dang system is operational the way we were lead to believe it would be. Who wants to be out - driving around thinking safety assist is up, only to have it drop out at a most inopportune time. If we'd have gotten the X when it was 1st available to us .... only to find a couple ghosting images through the windshield at night, we do the same thing. Either no night driving, or park it n' wait.
You are aware that the calibration exercise will not complete until you turn off the car and turn it back on again?