Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's apparently made out of unobtainium;

"Initially, the 2023 Genesis GV60 will only be sold at select Genesis retailers in CA, CT, NJ and NY. Contact your Genesis retailer for availability details."

Problem with any of these new super-duper EVs is, among other issues:

• Unknown reliability
  • Unknown quirks
  • Problematic availability
  • Where get them repaired/serviced?
  • No objective street tests reviews done to-date

I'm not "anti" new EVs. Tesla needs a fire lit under that company's butt to keep them from acting all uppity in regard their customers. It's just that I'm not gonna get hot and bothered over a promising new machine until we see some firm data coming out about it.

Rich
Reasonable concerns, but Genesis/Hyundai/kia are essentially the same company and they have a few years of experience in EVs, so they're not completely new to game.

Reactions: voxel
Quite right. And now that I have the Tesla CCS adapter the charging world is my oyster...

Tesla can be frustrating to deal with (although, to be honest, I have had no issues with them). But there is a reason we now drive a MY and have a M3 SR on order. It just makes sense, unless using a car for only commuting or local use.

Rich
agreed. Will buy ccs adapter just to use it when Supercharger is crowded.

Reactions: DrGriz
agreed. Will buy ccs adapter just to use it when Supercharger is crowded.
Is the CCS adapter actually available? I haven't looked but from what people are posting in other threads it's not. I don't do a lot of road trips, but IME, J1772 chargers have been easy enough to find. Other areas of the country may be different, though.
most people buy cars that can do both commute and road trip.
There's a lot of variability so I don't think you can generalize. I have a friend who has 2 EVs. One of them he only uses as a commuter car and he uses the other when he wants to take a road trip.

Then there's the crowding issue. On my last trip the supercharger in EauClaire, WI was full with a line of cars waiting. It's a sign of Tesla's growth and popularity, and I have no idea how many other EV charging options there are along I94 or how busy they are but I'm really hoping Tesla doesn't open the Super Chargers up to non Tesla cars if they are already full with Teslas. I know Tesla is also adding more stations, which will also help as you won't be as constrained when it comes to picking a location.

Is the CCS adapter actually available? I haven't looked but from what people are posting in other threads it's not. I don't do a lot of road trips, but IME, J1772 chargers have been easy enough to find. Other areas of the country may be different, though.

There's a lot of variability so I don't think you can generalize. I have a friend who has 2 EVs. One of them he only uses as a commuter car and he uses the other when he wants to take a road trip.

Then there's the crowding issue. On my last trip the supercharger in EauClaire, WI was full with a line of cars waiting. It's a sign of Tesla's growth and popularity, and I have no idea how many other EV charging options there are along I94 or how busy they are but I'm really hoping Tesla doesn't open the Super Chargers up to non Tesla cars if they are already full with Teslas. I know Tesla is also adding more stations, which will also help as you won't be as constrained when it comes to picking a location.
Should have said will buy ccs when it’s available from Tesla. J1772 is too slow for a road trip charging. Obviously there are people who use their cars differently. If Tesla will open up charging it most likely will have separate stalls with ccs connector so it wont effect Tesla customers.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Should have said will buy ccs when it’s available from Tesla. J1772 is too slow for a road trip charging. Obviously there are people who use their cars differently. If Tesla will open up charging it most likely will have separate stalls with ccs connector so it wont effect Tesla customers.
Yes...completely available from south korea....already got mine. You can order direct without giving your login info now too. Just read the last few pages.

'Most' people buy cars that don't have the kind of build quality issues Tesla has.
'Most' people buy cars that have Satellite radio or CarPlay or Android Auto.
'Most' people buy EV cars that don't have to pay extra to use the largest network of chargers such as Chargepoint.
Tesla is going to take an ass whooping in the next 5 years if they can't solve their build issues. Also, if Elon doesn't get over himself to allow Sirius (Model 3/Y), Apple or Android access it's going to be that much worse.
Remember that Tesla is still a fledging automaker in relative terms. It won't take long for the big boys to surpass them if they don't make some real changes in the near future.

see the nearby CCS thread. Tesla is selling them in Korea and an enterprising outfit is facilitating sales to US. $309. For a while you had to reset your tesla password and let them access it to order, now that is unneeded.

As for SCs opening up - not sure the timetable, but I understood the intent was to retrofit with a second cable using CCS1. Will they charge a premium or them? Or part of two way negotiation?

'Most' people buy cars that don't have the kind of build quality issues Tesla has.
'Most' people buy cars that have Satellite radio or CarPlay or Android Auto.
'Most' people buy EV cars that don't have to pay extra to use the largest network of chargers such as Chargepoint.
Tesla is going to take an ass whooping in the next 5 years if they can't solve their build issues. Also, if Elon doesn't get over himself to allow Sirius (Model 3/Y), Apple or Android access it's going to be that much worse.
Remember that Tesla is still a fledging automaker in relative terms. It won't take long for the big boys to surpass them if they don't make some real changes in the near future.
Not sure what issues you are referring to but my new model Y has been rock solid and at least as good initial quality as any car I have ever purchased. The in car infotainment system is by far the best I have ever experience out of all car manufacturers. Don’t miss Apple car play at all.

I do believe they should start an App Store and offer a sirius/xm app though. But now that I have Spotify I don’t think I would go back to sirius anyways.

Not sure what issues you are referring to but my new model Y has been rock solid and at least as good initial quality as any car I have ever purchased. The in car infotainment system is by far the best I have ever experience out of all car manufacturers. Don’t miss Apple car play at all.

I do believe they should start an App Store and offer a sirius/xm app though. But now that I have Spotify I don’t think I would go back to sirius anyways.

My MY is a very well made car (beautiful, really). Period. If it wasn't, I'd say something. I'm not bashful.

None the less, if we're putting up "wish-lists" then here's a couple of "wants" from me:

• I'd like to access Android Auto
  • I'd love a heads-up display
  • 360' view anyone?
  • And an app store to buy aftermarket, neat and useful apps for my Tesla EVs would be great!!
Oh, yeah. What's the deal with most EVs not having rear-window wipers? Efficiency is swell, but come on guys!

Just sayin'...

Rich

Then everybody should buy PHEVs and nobody should by sports cars or minivans.

I believe "only the paranoid survive" and now that we have great competition like the Lucid, Ioniq 5, EV6, Mach-E. i4, e-tron, etc. and soon Lyriq, GV60, Ariya and quirky large EVs like the Hummer EV, Lightning, R1T... we should see Tesla improve their products too. Tesla doesn't have the best handling, ride quality, safety features, charging speeds, or range. They've become the Toyota of EVs.

For me a perfect "do everything" EV would be a Telluride EV. That's an SUV that does everything competently and nothing poorly which would be incredible as an EV.

Then everybody should buy PHEVs and nobody should by sports cars or minivans.

I believe "only the paranoid survive" and now that we have great competition like the Lucid, Ioniq 5, EV6, Mach-E. i4, e-tron, etc. and soon Lyriq, GV60, Ariya and quirky large EVs like the Hummer EV, Lightning, R1T... we should see Tesla improve their products too. Tesla doesn't have the best handling, ride quality, safety features, charging speeds, or range. They've become the Toyota of EVs.

For me a perfect "do everything" EV would be a Telluride EV. That's an SUV that does everything competently and nothing poorly which would be incredible as an EV.
None of competitors you mentioned better than Tesla. But hey everyone likes different things and nothing wrong with that.
Okey okey Rivian might look good(terrible efficiency) as well as Lucid but they can’t make good number of them.

I “test drove” the Ioniq5, EV6, and Mach-E GT at the Twin Cities Auto Show yesterday. The drives are like 3-4 minutes long so obviously not close to enough to form a real opinion, but I came away liking the Ioniq5 the most of these three based on how I felt in the driver’s seat while driving 20 MPH through the state fair grounds. LOL! (They did let you floor it for literally 1.5 seconds…)

If I didn’t buy the MYP last year and am in the market now, I suspect the Ioniq5 would be high on my list. Of course, I’d probably struggle to find any EV to buy if I was in the market now.

My MY is a very well made car (beautiful, really). Period. If it wasn't, I'd say something. I'm not bashful.

None the less, if we're putting up "wish-lists" then here's a couple of "wants" from me:

• I'd like to access Android Auto
  • I'd love a heads-up display
  • 360' view anyone?
  • And an app store to buy aftermarket, neat and useful apps for my Tesla EVs would be great!!
Oh, yeah. What's the deal with most EVs not having rear-window wipers? Efficiency is swell, but come on guys!

Just sayin'...

Rich
Yes please. 360 swipable stitch, HUD, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, larger rear window/shape, rear air control, ventilated seats, and a rowing machine that helps charge the battery.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod