Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am I missing here? For non-Tesla drivers, the Supercharger network is a completely closed shop. Would you prefer, as a Tesla owner, to not have access to Ionity's network at all?
The issue is that Ionity is publicly funded with (our) tax money, to build a system we are then priced out of.

Supercharger network is different, it is fully funded by Tesla. Any other car manufacturer could build their own private network if they wanted to.

The issue is that Ionity is publicly funded with (our) tax money, to build a system we are then priced out of.

Supercharger network is different, it is fully funded by Tesla. Any other car manufacturer could build their own private network if they wanted to.
I also suspect they will start to get planning preference over Superchargers because they are a public not private network which again is probably right IF they were a true public network not a semi private club.

upload_2020-7-19_7-35-16.png

Press release : Pan-European EV infrastructure charges ahead after IONITY secures EUROP-E funding

Brussels, 25 April, 2019. Today, as part of the launch of first High Power Charging Stations in Belgium, EUROP-E project is announcing its financial closing as the largest EU co-funded EV charging infrastructure project to-date. The EUROP-E network will cover main routes across 13 EU countries, enabling electric vehicles to navigate the vast distances from Poland to Portugal and from Sweden to Italy. The EUROP-E project will be implemented by IONITY, a joint venture between BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company, and Volkswagen group with Audi and Porsche.

More Pan-European EV infrastructure takes shape after IONITY launches its 150th EUROP-E funded charging station

Last edited:
Any chance these will still be on free vend in 3 weeks..will save me stopping in south mimms...I'm only ever gonna use ionity if it's free..

Keep checking back on here and the Zapp map comments for updates - Peterborough was about 3-4 weeks before it was updated, but doesn't guarantee any other sites will take as long

Well let's not overstate it. They got a one-time payment of 40m euros out of an EU budget of around 150bn euros in 2017. The UK's contribution to that is a rounding error.

IMHO if you receive public funds you should do things differently and openly, no matter how small the relative donation. Otherwise refuse that donation, and all is fair.
Presumably then you're in favour of Tesla making their charging network open access given the *billions* in government subsidies it has recieved.

Admittedly it's not 40million euros from the EU for a public charging network, but hey.

Presumably then you're in favour of Tesla making their charging network open access given the *billions* in government subsidies it has received.

Admittedly it's not 40million euros from the EU for a public charging network, but hey.
Have they? I didn't think the company itself had had much if any govt funding either here or in the US. They did have a US govt loan at one point but I thought that got paid back? I could be wrong I don't follow Tesla finance.
Or are you referring to the OLEV grant and other equivalent schemes around the world which technically go to the purchaser but obviously benefit the seller since they make the vehicles more affordable.

Reactions: Neilio
Two of them not working properly already! (Still on free vend).

Got here with 25%, first charger wouldn’t go over 37kw, then dropped to 22kw.

Second one failed with a communication error, tried multiple times.

Third one worked fortunately, started off with a very respectable 180kw.

• Informative
Reactions: JupiterMan