Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
November 2016 Model S with approximately 36K miles. Driver's side DRL just went out (just the top horizontal section) and have appointment with service to have it replaced. Was advised that entire unit will have to be replaced. So this means that l also have to replace the xpel wrap on the headlight. May be I should wait until the drivers side DRL goes bad?

Oct. 2017 build.. Emailed mobile service, haven't gotten an answer yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 408
Reactions: Bill_75D
2017, Jan and Feb, two Model S's in our garage.

No problems, but then I wasn't checking! Will check when I get home.

YES, get Tesla's extended warranty
(nee "Service Plan") before your window of availability expires as it is likely to pay for itself many times over!

If not, then it's a cheap form of peace-of-mind/mechanical insurance!

I took delivery of my MS in April 2017. I’m on my third replacement and starting to worry about future replacements as I am only a few weeks away from hitting 50k miles and don’t want to pay out of pocket when I have to get my fourth one replaced if or when it fails.

I imagine this would be a great little cottage industry opportunity for someone once more cars roll off warranty and owners aren't inclined to pay $1,000+ for a complete headlight assembly to fix one or two burned out LEDs.

My S is at the service center for its third visit in the last year - March 2017 delivery. Getting a new front drive unit. Last time was something electrical having to do with the rear drive unit, time before that was something else electrical - I think the 2nd visit was actually due to the initial problem not being addressed (since I only had the car a week before it had to go back). And "going back" means over 400 miles each way on a truck since I'm in New Mexico.
Anyway, I was just looking at my invoice and see that they replaced one of the headlight assembly units - due to the "customer" noting that not all lights were working. I never noticed. Yeah, so add me to the list.
I've been without my car for two weeks and am now calling the service center every day to inquire when my car is going to get put on a damn truck. There aren't many Teslas in New Mexico, and everyone who knows me knows that my car is usually in the shop. Sorry am hijacking this thread, but I miss my on-again, off again car.

Add me to the list... Had right MS (June 2016 delivery) headlight replaced around 30k for the DRL “brown out” issue. Just took our MS on a road trip and went over 50k a week ago and just noticed my left DRL is now half out too. :(

At least I’m happy to see that range mode turns them off - not sure if I’m going to pay $1000 to fix this...

Last edited:
Same issue. May 2016 S75 (refresh). Passenger side DRL top part is out. Mobile ranger requested the part 1 month back. Still waiting for replacement. I kinda liked the pre-refresh DRL that had the smooth clean look compared to the new one.