Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think matrix is easir than wipers. Seeing rain on glass is actually hard which is why no one else uses cameras for wipers. Everyone uses cameras for matrix and Tesla knows camers so they should be ok at that.
I’d like to think you’re right but Tesla can’t even get basic auto headlights right. The way reflection from street signs, especially chevrons, causes my high beam to dip on dark country roads is laughable. It dips just when I need high beam most and takes far too long to come back on afterwards.

I'm missing something - as to why folk want Auto Dip.

I can understand wanting Matrix - because (as I understand it, I've never had a car that had them, but mates rave about them) that keeps the lights on full beam, "disabling" elements that would shine directly at oncoming traffic, but using full beam elsewhere to helpfully illuminate the verge and potentially any hazards further ahead.

I don't find dipping headlights a chore, nor difficult to do (e.g. when turning steering wheel etc.). I like to dip my lights when, for example, approaching a bend and I can see the lights of oncoming traffic ... not let the traffic come round the bend and be momentarily blinded as my car notices them and only then does something about it.

Apart from the failings of the Tesla Auto Lights, what I am missing from not feeling the need to have Auto Dip?

Reactions: ACarneiro

I can understand wanting Matrix - because (as I understand it, I've never had a car that had them, but mates rave about them) that keeps the lights on full beam, "disabling" elements that would shine directly at oncoming traffic, but using full beam elsewhere to helpfully illuminate the verge and potentially any hazards further ahead.

I don't find dipping headlights a chore, nor difficult to do (e.g. when turning steering wheel etc.). I like to dip my lights when, for example, approaching a bend and I can see the lights of oncoming traffic ... not let the traffic come round the bend and be momentarily blinded as my car notices them and only then does something about it.

Apart from the failings of the Tesla Auto Lights, what I am missing from not feeling the need to have Auto Dip?
I'm not sure that people want it per se. But if it's there and it's enabled by default (what IS it with Tesla enabling the bloody shitty-automations when we don't want them?), then at least have the decency of doing it right...

Proper matrix lights do as you say, they are like having full beam on all the time except you aren’t blinding people because oncoming cars are “mapped out” of the beam pattern.

In my experience cars that have it can still be slightly blinding, but in a way that’s obvious they have get tech, not like someone is blasting full beam in your eyes.

On the cars that have it, particularly the German marques, and Polestar, it is very impressive.

On a straight road it’s excellent, but as you say when taking corners & vehicles appear from around the corner it’s not so good. Personally I’d rather have it than not and get the choice when to activate it.

Reactions: Adopado and Js1977
Looks like Matrix headlights are on their way (new model 3 only at this point) but I’m sure a new update can roll this out to previous cars with the hardware?

1705615247865.png

Seeing as EU approval for this on Highland was reported a few months ago, I think it's safe to say this won't be coming to any of us with "legacy" cars
Do you know who reported it?
Want to see if the words use match what’s been said recently.

Does the highland model have “special” hardware other older models don’t have or something?

Can’t see it being an issue with older cars getting this update. Although it’s a very Tesla/Apple approach so who knows.

Soooo... errrr... if it's coming to legacy models, which already have fog lights, does this suggest it's more than just the suspected lame fog light substitute, and is in fact proper matrix headlights?
Theres a YouTube video knocking around showing it acting more like the Audi/bmw systems. It wasn’t perfect (it wouldn’t be Tesla is it was) but I was pleasantly surprised it was more than the fake fog light

Theres a YouTube video knocking around showing it acting more like the Audi/bmw systems. It wasn’t perfect (it wouldn’t be Tesla is it was) but I was pleasantly surprised it was more than the fake fog light

it has about 100 pixels - I think BMW/Audi have moved on quite a bit since then? functionally yes but perhaps the lower resolution helps Tesla in this case as they can’t do anything *too* fancy.

great news though, fingers crossed its usable