Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is there so much angst? I seriously don't understand why people even think there has been a delay. My account page says "estimated delivery" of March. It is still March. I still consider it possible, albeit unlikely, that my car will be delivered in March. If the car is delivered in April, I wouldn't consider that late, any more than I'd consider a food delivery at 7:15 late if the estimated delivery time was 7:00. The reason Tesla hasn't communicated anything is there is no change to report.

Using the current wait time for new buyers as the wait time for prior buyers is silly. The remaining wait time for someone who has been waiting in line is generally shorter than the wait time for someone who just entered the line. Moreover, the second person's total wait time might be longer than the first person's total wait time because the line got longer in the interim.
Rational thinking is not permitted here :) I wonder which pseudonym Elon is using on this forum.....I'm sure he loves the banter. Me, I'm patiently refreshing my account page every five minutes looking for that carrot

I just noticed the same thing. I ordered in December. I don’t think I can wait that long. I feel disgusted and no longer trust the company at all. I just don’t want to wait 10 weeks and then be told it will be another 10 weeks. Is the model 3 performance a decent replacement for my S LR? If not, I think I will buy another MB. I guess I need to test drive the 3 series. The 3 just doesn’t look great to me. Just not streamlined. Hate the view of the rear of the car.

very disappointed with Tesla. Was really looking forward to my first EV.
Try to wait for the S.. You can go on Turo and rent someone's Model 3 Performance before you consider one. I'd choose the new LR S hands down over a model 3 performance.

Why is there so much angst? I seriously don't understand why people even think there has been a delay. My account page says "estimated delivery" of March. It is still March. I still consider it possible, albeit unlikely, that my car will be delivered in March. If the car is delivered in April, I wouldn't consider that late, any more than I'd consider a food delivery at 7:15 late if the estimated delivery time was 7:00. The reason Tesla hasn't communicated anything is there is no change to report.

Using the current wait time for new buyers as the wait time for prior buyers is silly. The remaining wait time for someone who has been waiting in line is generally shorter than the wait time for someone who just entered the line. Moreover, the second person's total wait time might be longer than the first person's total wait time because the line got longer in the interim.
People think there's a delay because there is a delay. March is pretty much impossible at this point and possibly April as well. It's annoying for sure.

Reactions: elguapo
This is assuming that there is a queue that is linearly adhered to based on time of order placement. Unfortunately, this is not how Tesla allocates vehicles. I have ordered multiple cars from Tesla where I have needed to wait an extended time for delivery. I ordered a Model 3 and a Model Y both on launch day and my wait time was in some instances several months longer than others. Vehicles are not allocated on a first come first serve basis. In the past Tesla gave priority to previous owners and then started prioritizing orders based on options and distance from Fremont. When they are approaching end of quarter they will fulfill any order that they can process the quickest. If a new order came in yesterday and it is geographically close to the factory with options that happen to match a car on hand, that order will most likely get fulfilled before many in the queue that have been waiting several months. I‘m sure most of us around here have seen this happen multiple times.

Last edited:
I don’t mind waiting. Since there is a slight possibility of some federal tax credit I’ve eased off.
I do not understand the lack of communication. Just something. At least if I called my local pizza joint they would answer and tell me it’s on its way even though they completely lost my order.
I'm as anxious as all of you. But to epi10's point, would you be calling your pizza joint demanding an explanation at 6:45 pm for a delivery that was estimated for 7:00 pm?

I'm as anxious as all of you. But to epi10's point, would you be calling your pizza joint demanding an explanation at 6:45 pm for a delivery that was estimated for 7:00 pm?
No but I would be calling if I was told it would be delivered 7:00pm 2/25/21 and today is 3/24/21. It’s a little late and cold by now....

I feel so bipolar. One minute, I think about how unbelievably happy I'm going to be driving what will undoubtedly be the best car on the market for the price by far, on the other hand, I am so pissed off about the lack of communication I never want to see Elon's face again. It seems like Elon often does everything he possibly can to test the kool aid jar.

I feel so bipolar. One minute, I think about how unbelievably happy I'm going to be driving what will undoubtedly be the best car on the market for the price by far, on the other hand, I am so pissed off about the lack of communication I never want to see Elon's face again. It seems like Elon often does everything he possibly can to test the kool aid jar.

All the blame can’t be on the CEO. If anything, others in high positions at Tesla should be more hands on with customers and not Elon Musk. Just my opinion.

Reactions: elguapo and baldwin
The website is back to showing 4-11 weeks for the LR after briefly showing 10-14 earlier today. Just seeing who’s paying attention. Someone’s toying with us.
still 10-14 weeks for me. Bay Area

1616619694874.png

All the blame can’t be on the CEO. If anything, others in high positions at Tesla should be more hands on with customers and not Elon Musk. Just my opinion.

I would usually agree - but for a guy who has posted 100x about memes and other random weird *sugar* over the last month, feel like the dude had 30 seconds for a tweet update. It all leads to him, he probably told everyone else to keep their mouths shut.

I just noticed the same thing. I ordered in December. I don’t think I can wait that long. I feel disgusted and no longer trust the company at all. I just don’t want to wait 10 weeks and then be told it will be another 10 weeks. Is the model 3 performance a decent replacement for my S LR? If not, I think I will buy another MB. I guess I need to test drive the 3 series. The 3 just doesn’t look great to me. Just not streamlined. Hate the view of the rear of the car.

very disappointed with Tesla. Was really looking forward to my first EV.
I'm with you on this. I've already started inquiring about the Taycan. This is just rediculious.

Quantum is the next leap. Nano limits are being reached on chips.
It doesn't quite work that way, unless you limit yourself to single-threaded computation. With concurrency, you just add processors. Moore's Law means they can put more and more components on a die, but you run into heat dissipation issues, so modern multi-core processors learn to direct power only where it's needed, and then you can have more cores and more computational power even though the clock rate remains maxed out.

Quantum has a LOOOOOONG way to go before it can equal conventional processing power for the mundane stuff.

And... no delivery update.

Reactions: josahua
I would usually agree - but for a guy who has posted 100x about memes and other random weird *sugar* over the last month, feel like the dude had 30 seconds for a tweet update. It all leads to him, he probably told everyone else to keep their mouths shut.
In my opinion, i just feel someone else at Tesla should communicate with reservation holders since Elon isn’t doing it. I’m not disagreeing with your point though. .