Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are being smart by not saying anything. If Elon tweeted to make a dozen people on this forum happy, that the launch was delayed by 1-3 months, the stock would tank and the shorts would have a field day. And, you wouldn't get your car any sooner. By not saying anything, it is mostly a non-event as there really isn't anything to talk about. Especially, for a March delivery miss, when it is still March, or even the worse case, Feb 15-March 15 delivery, claiming the car is OVER a month late. It is late now, but a range does not mean it should have been delivered by the first day of the range. End of fan boi rant....

• Disagree
Reactions: ct101 and josahua
I think they are being smart by not saying anything. If Elon tweeted to make a dozen people on this forum happy, that the launch was delayed by 1-3 months, the stock would tank and the shorts would have a field day. And, you wouldn't get your car any sooner. By not saying anything, it is mostly a non-event as there really isn't anything to talk about. Especially, for a March delivery miss, when it is still March, or even the worse case, Feb 15-March 15 delivery, claiming the car is OVER a month late. It is late now, but a range does not mean it should have been delivered by the first day of the range. End of fan boi rant....
Yeah, I support their keeping mum simply because there are a lot of smart cookies at Tesla and they must've concluded that the silent treatment is the one that best supports their mission. I can be chill about it (albeit maybe a bit grumpy) because I have 100% use of our spare car in the interim. I can fully sympathize, however, with those who planned ahead for the switch-over by selling their prior car or letting it go off-lease, and are now left hanging. If that were me, I'd be a lot less chill.

I think it is dumb to not say anything but they need to be smart about they say. We do not have the right to know what exactly is going on but they should be a little more forthright that there is a delay and a rough estimate on delivery. They may miss that as well, but communicate again. It is really not difficult and will keep expectations more in check with some.

Not expecting the world in communications but they should communicate more than they do.

I am naturally impatient so this is difficult for me. I am excited and know after receiving the car, I will forget this all and just be happy with the car.

ETA. If it takes another month of testing yo find a potential rattle or tweek the software then I am good with. It is more important they deliver a good car than a fast delivery. Just let us know the truth about it.

Last edited:
Probably the right move for you. You have a great Tesla S already. You can certainly wait until the angst is over to get the latest. :)
Thanks. The angst I referred to in the earlier post was because we spend the winter in SC and the summer in OH. The timing of the delivery and trade in was starting to look problematic. I didn't want to be in OH and get a notice that the car was in Savannah while I was in OH. This will be my 4th MS. I love the cars. The kids (I'm old) in the stores and service centers have been unfailingly polite and helpful. Communications have always been the issue with Tesla. I am as excited to see/buy the refreshed MS as I was to buy my first Tesla MS85 in 2015. Keep smiling!

Reactions: lzolman
I was coming in for a landing in Opa Locka and I noticed a Refresh Model S on the highway! To be honest it was a little smaller than I expected but still was super excited to see it on the road! Looked like a black on black. It didn’t have the yoke wheel, but the screen was horizontal. No spoiler so LR variant.

Attachments

• AFCB1256-15D5-4440-A4D3-48E4000123D4.jpeg
    AFCB1256-15D5-4440-A4D3-48E4000123D4.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 105
I was coming in for a landing in Opa Locka and I noticed a Refresh Model S on the highway! To be honest it was a little smaller than I expected but still was super excited to see it on the road! Looked like a black on black. It didn’t have the yoke wheel, but the screen was horizontal. No spoiler so LR variant.
Lol you must have a good set of binoculars. How do you know it was model s refresh? I can see it’s a black car but that’s about it.

As others have stated, the delivery “estimate” is March. I’m all for transparency, but Tesla really doesn’t owe anybody an explanation at this point. If they don’t update the estimated delivery date or make some kind of announce by mid-April, then reservation holders have a right to be disgruntled IMO.

This whole Tesla experience reminds me of when you get deep into the Porsche world. You just have to make sure you already have one to hold you over until the next one you ordered arrives.

Rinse and repeat when the next model comes out.

Just curious if anyone has heard of any incentives to get an order placed before the end of Q1 for an S.

On the bubble. Hate to give up FUSC, premium and sunroof, but won't miss the yellow border and MCU1 mess on my otherwise fine 2017 100D.

Thanks

The incentive is that you will get a "March" delivery date and a free membership to TMC to gripe with the rest of us malcontents.

Thanks. The angst I referred to in the earlier post was because we spend the winter in SC and the summer in OH. The timing of the delivery and trade in was starting to look problematic. I didn't want to be in OH and get a notice that the car was in Savannah while I was in OH. This will be my 4th MS. I love the cars. The kids (I'm old) in the stores and service centers have been unfailingly polite and helpful. Communications have always been the issue with Tesla. I am as excited to see/buy the refreshed MS as I was to buy my first Tesla MS85 in 2015. Keep smiling!
I notice you state that you’re old. I was wondering of all of us that have ordered LR or Plaid’s how many of us are over 60 or 70 years old. I’ll understand if no one responds. :)

The buck stops with Elon. This delay has nothing to do with the stock or stock manipulation. Just an arrogant way to treat customers. It comes from the top IMO.

i would understand if you are ordering a hand built Ferrari. Not a production line Tesla. But I am really committed to the S, so I will impatiently wait. I probably should just be committed.

As others have stated, the delivery “estimate” is March. I’m all for transparency, but Tesla really doesn’t owe anybody an explanation at this point. If they don’t update the estimated delivery date or make some kind of announce by mid-April, then reservation holders have a right to be disgruntled IMO.
If the estimate is for March and the calendar flips to April then the “announcement” should be on April 1st. Why wait until April 15? I would assume the accounts would be updated with new timelines at that point and not wait until April 15. If they are going to deliver cars in April and not say June or July then no huge announcement is necessary, just pass on the details to your own SAs. Right now the SAs and DMs don’t know anything and are left completely in the dark. Someone said above that if Elon tweets about the delay the stock will tank. There in lies the crux of the problem. He doesn’t have to tweet, just let your SAs know who will inform the customers.

Just for those who complain about waiting and lack of communication.
I’ve waited for many products from cars, computers and boats to airplanes and even a handful of household products. Realistically newly introduced products and products in high demand tend to have unpredictable delivery times.

Why give Tesla a hard time when they’re certainly not worse than anybody else?
Just in cars I waited months for the following: Honda Accord, Audi A4 Convertible, Porsche 964 and more. All were in high demand and newly introduced. None communicated status until the cars arrived.

I notice you state that you’re old. I was wondering of all of us that have ordered LR or Plaid’s how many of us are over 60 or 70 years old. I’ll understand if no one responds. :)
I’m in my 70’s. I bought my first MS in May of 2014. This will be my 3rd MS (also have a Model 3) I ordered a blue LR in November 2020. Along the way, everyone from sales to service has been extremely kind, courteous and respectful. Believe me, it will be worth the wait