Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something new to obsess about--I wonder if this means our new cars will be radar-less? I am not sure how I feel about that, if the answer is yes. The website still mentions the radar.

1618002114033.png

Reactions: T-Racer
reservation RN1145
Model S LR
ordered 03/01/21
account shows 4-11 weeks from date it was ordered

went into a Tesla showroom today as I was killing time at another appointment next door to it. was told based on my reservation a June delivery is likely.

Something new to obsess about--I wonder if this means our new cars will be radar-less? I am not sure how I feel about that, if the answer is yes. The website still mentions the radar.

View attachment 652443
That is a more clear update on this item. My first thought is radar is helpful in situations where vision is limited (fog etc.), but electronic vision can cover far more than the human eye can see. I'll defer to the experts at Tesla on what is best.

That is a more clear update on this item. My first thought is radar is helpful in situations where vision is limited (fog etc.), but electronic vision can cover far more than the human eye can see. I'll defer to the experts at Tesla on what is best.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Tesla only had cameras and electronic vision and no radar while Lucid is opting for the cameras + LIDAR (which many will argue is better) for their self driving capabilities? BTW -- my Tesla account still shows July but thinking May or June is more likely for delivery. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Tesla only had cameras and electronic vision and no radar while Lucid is opting for the cameras + LIDAR (which many will argue is better) for their self driving capabilities? BTW -- my Tesla account still shows July but thinking May or June is more likely for delivery. ;)
1618003596686.png

This is from the currently available MS Owner's Manual. Maybe removing the radar is the reason for the delay? Not!

Reactions: sflgator
We’ve had the eight cameras, ultrasonic sensors, and front facing radar on the S for some time now.

Interesting article regarding the delays, By TOM KRISHER AP Auto Writer.

Elon Musk Statement on Tesla Production raises questions

Tesla CEO Elon Musk is once again drawing scrutiny for questionable comments he made to Wall Street analysts, this time involving the status of his company’s vehicle production.
On a Jan. 27 conference call to discuss Tesla’s fourth-quarter earnings, Musk stated that the company was producing new versions of its oldest models, the S sedan and X large SUV. He added that a “Plaid” high-performance version of the electric S would be available in February.
Experts say the disparity between Musk’s statement to analysts and the figures that showed zero production risks drawing the attention of Musk’s longtime nemesis, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
“I think he might have himself into a bit of trouble with the SEC,” said Anthony Sabino, an attorney and law professor at St. John’s University. “These are fairly direct statements. They are fairly unequivocal.”
John C. Coffee Jr., a Columbia University professor who is a leading authority on securities law and corporate governance, said Musk’s assertion sounded like a statement of fact and not merely a projection of Tesla’s future production. If the SEC agrees, Coffee said, it could initiate an inquiry.
There is no doubt that Musk stated on the conference call that Tesla was producing the Models S and X.
"We’re super excited to announce the new Model S and Model X Plaid are in production now and will be delivered in February,” Musk said on the call. “So we have been able to bring forward the Plaid Model S and X – Model S will be delivered in February and Model X a little later. The Model S Plaid, we’re actually in production now, and we’ll be delivering next month.”
Even if Musk’s assertion is protected by disclaimers about production estimates, legal experts say they expect the SEC to at least look into the matter and perhaps open an investigation.
Frenkel said much hinges on whether the SEC finds Musk’s statements to be “material” — that is, something a reasonable investor would find important in deciding whether to trade a company’s shares.
“Production disclosures could be considered material,” Frenkel said.
On the Jan. 27 conference call, Tesla’s chief financial officer, Zachary Kirkhorn, echoed Musk, saying the company was producing S and X models, though Kirkhorn cautioned that the output would be low because of the transition to new versions.
Kirkhorn added that the company was trying to manage a global shortage of semiconductors — a shortage that has bedeviled the entire auto industry, forcing many automakers to cut production. Some analysts have attributed Tesla’s zero S and X production to the chip shortage.
“One cannot disclaim away a false statement or omission to disclose a material fact,” Frenkel said. “Otherwise, it would give no credibility to corporate disclosures.”

Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather put up with the drug addicts hanging at the gas station (full disclosure to avoid cancellation—it is not their fault. Society has failed them) to be able to get a full tank of “range” in about 3 mins, as opposed to hanging out at a Tesla charger off the interstate for an hour with a bunch of pocket-protector techies and Birkenstock-wearing hippies.

Now the part about not having to do oil changes and brake replacements....I do like that. It just doesn’t offset the time wasted charging up during road trips.

I extended my lease yesterday on my current car for six months. Hopefully Elon gets his act together by then and can finally get my MS delivered!
I returned my leased WRX in January and have been driving our Highlander Hybrid since. It is actually more fun to drive than the WRX (much quicker throttle response from the six, and the instant electric torque like a zero-lag turbo) so that makes the waiting less painful.

Now, apologize for insulting my beloved Birks!

Interesting article regarding the delays, By TOM KRISHER AP Auto Writer.

Elon Musk Statement on Tesla Production raises questions

Tesla CEO Elon Musk is once again drawing scrutiny for questionable comments he made to Wall Street analysts, this time involving the status of his company’s vehicle production.
On a Jan. 27 conference call to discuss Tesla’s fourth-quarter earnings, Musk stated that the company was producing new versions of its oldest models, the S sedan and X large SUV. He added that a “Plaid” high-performance version of the electric S would be available in February.
Experts say the disparity between Musk’s statement to analysts and the figures that showed zero production risks drawing the attention of Musk’s longtime nemesis, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
“I think he might have himself into a bit of trouble with the SEC,” said Anthony Sabino, an attorney and law professor at St. John’s University. “These are fairly direct statements. They are fairly unequivocal.”
John C. Coffee Jr., a Columbia University professor who is a leading authority on securities law and corporate governance, said Musk’s assertion sounded like a statement of fact and not merely a projection of Tesla’s future production. If the SEC agrees, Coffee said, it could initiate an inquiry.
There is no doubt that Musk stated on the conference call that Tesla was producing the Models S and X.
"We’re super excited to announce the new Model S and Model X Plaid are in production now and will be delivered in February,” Musk said on the call. “So we have been able to bring forward the Plaid Model S and X – Model S will be delivered in February and Model X a little later. The Model S Plaid, we’re actually in production now, and we’ll be delivering next month.”
Even if Musk’s assertion is protected by disclaimers about production estimates, legal experts say they expect the SEC to at least look into the matter and perhaps open an investigation.
Frenkel said much hinges on whether the SEC finds Musk’s statements to be “material” — that is, something a reasonable investor would find important in deciding whether to trade a company’s shares.
“Production disclosures could be considered material,” Frenkel said.
On the Jan. 27 conference call, Tesla’s chief financial officer, Zachary Kirkhorn, echoed Musk, saying the company was producing S and X models, though Kirkhorn cautioned that the output would be low because of the transition to new versions.
Kirkhorn added that the company was trying to manage a global shortage of semiconductors — a shortage that has bedeviled the entire auto industry, forcing many automakers to cut production. Some analysts have attributed Tesla’s zero S and X production to the chip shortage.
“One cannot disclaim away a false statement or omission to disclose a material fact,” Frenkel said. “Otherwise, it would give no credibility to corporate disclosures.”
Well, they clearly produced refreshed MS cars because we've all seen pictures and videos of them. None of us would call that product as they were pre-production. But I assume the amount of hedging around this by the CFO and the dancing Musk was doing in January will protect them from any legal challenge. Clearly Tesla doesn't like having an idle line. We would all like to know the reason for the delay and the expected time for a restart. We all want our awesome cars! Given that Musk took delivery of his MS in January there could be something he hated about it that he wanted changed?

My 4-11 week delivery window form order date opens today and runs through 5/28. Of course I know there are 100k+ of you in line ahead of me, so I won't get mine unless nearly all of you have gotten yours. I'm pulling for yours to arrive soon!

Ya know, watching Elon tweet like crazy tonight, but avoid answering anything about the Model S / X has me a tad concerned. He'd say something if things were going well.

He's talked about the Neuralink Chimp, FSD, and Auto-Wiper enhancements, but zip about the refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Ya know, watching Elon tweet like crazy tonight, but avoid answering anything about the Model S / X has me a tad concerned. He'd say something if things were going well.

He's talked about the Neuralink Chimp, FSD, and Auto-Wiper enhancements, but zip about the refresh.

I still think he is avoiding litigation by investors for saying production was already happening lol.

Reactions: cascadilla

View attachment 652443
I would definitely feel better with the radar there as an additional input. I am fine without lidar (though space x used it to dock with ISS). However, I really don’t understand how the cameras can accurately identify distance by themselves and we know the ultrasonic sensors have a) very limited distance and b) aren’t terribly accurate. Removing radar would seem to make the SW updates harder too as you have even more variations of hardware in the wild.

Estimated delivery “-“.

Reactions: TNGuy99 and Tigers
More conjecture on my part, but I wonder is there was some change in direction on the AP/FSD sensor suite at the last minute. There was the announcement I linked to earlier and the underlying patent they applied for. But earlier this year, they also field for a patent for 4D mmWare radar and @onlythegreen has found references the this new radar while poking around.

:confused: