Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, but I'll just have to disagree. Again, these analysts love pressing about the competition. Given the recent taycan sales news and the eqs, I have to believe there are going to be concerned investors regarding the luxury segment. They did not know of a delay on the last call, I'm sure they are aware of it now. Hell they might even ask "why is the model s delayed and will the cause of this delay impact 3/y'
Fair enough--let's see how it plays out.

Reactions: Tigers
Maybe, but I'll just have to disagree. Again, these analysts love pressing about the competition. Given the recent taycan sales news and the eqs, I have to believe there are going to be concerned investors regarding the luxury segment. They did not know of a delay on the last call, I'm sure they are aware of it now. Hell they might even ask "why is the model s delayed and will the cause of this delay impact 3/y'
I’ll give you that @Tigers. Analysts do care about competition and with the recent EQS “unveiling”, Taycan, etc, I don’t think analysts will be okay with Tesla ceding the top end to MB, Porsche, Lucid (vaporware, still), Rivian (vaporware, still), etc. That said, Musk doesn’t have to answer with any clarity and can, and has, just told analysts to move on and F off (effectively).

Ultimately, the 3 and Y are the key to success. We shall see. I predict Elon answers with no answer other than “this *sugar* is hard, we’re in hell, I’m a billionaire and I sleep on the floor of the factory, woe is me” and “you all are idiots and couldn’t possibly understand what we are doing anyway...”. So kind of what @omarsultan said.

Hi fellas,

I just spotted an interesting Model S Plaid testing tidbit here. Back on page 1288 of this thread, james912 shared a tweet from @tesla_raj on Twitter who caught some great photos of a Blue Plaid Model S. In the photos below, I believe the rectangular blue box next to the passenger seat is a Racelogic Multi-Function Display. This is used as a display for GPS-based performance testing equipment (acceleration, braking, lap times, etc.) It caught my eye because I have a Racelogic VBOX Sport that I use for performance testing and it's that same unmistakeable shade of blue.

As with the Plaid cold weather testing video posted by Tesla on Feb 19th, this type of testing seems like stuff that should've been done months ago, but who knows. Makes me wonder where they are in the development timeline. Close? Not so close? Who knows.

Here's a link to the product on the Racelogic website if you're curious: Racelogic MFD

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpg

Hi fellas,

I just spotted an interesting Model S Plaid testing tidbit here. Back on page 1288 of this thread, james912 shared a tweet from @tesla_raj on Twitter who caught some great photos of a Blue Plaid Model S. In the photos below, I believe the rectangular blue box next to the passenger seat is a Racelogic Multi-Function Display. This is used as a display for GPS-based performance testing equipment (acceleration, braking, lap times, etc.) It caught my eye because I have a Racelogic VBOX Sport that I use for performance testing and it's that same unmistakeable shade of blue.

As with the Plaid cold weather testing video posted by Tesla on Feb 19th, this type of testing seems like stuff that should've been done months ago, but who knows. Makes me wonder where they are in the development timeline. Close? Not so close? Who knows.

Here's a link to the product on the Racelogic website if you're curious: Racelogic MFD

View attachment 655229

View attachment 655230

View attachment 655231

Hey - thanks for sharing this insight. I think it was either @elguapo or @omarsultan that brought up the idea ole' Elon might be pissed by the recent EQS being competitive (even if more expensive) and, with some other recently launched or soon to be launched cars, they were caught "sleeping" and now don't have quite the lead they wanted.

Long story short here is, your context might be another bullet point of evidence that Tesla decided to re-work some stuff, in order to make the Model S more competitive. That would explain a 4-6 month delay....

Reactions: TNGuy99
Hi fellas,

View attachment 655229

View attachment 655230

View attachment 655231
Why use that instead of in-car sensors?

Hey - thanks for sharing this insight. I think it was either @elguapo or @omarsultan that brought up the idea ole' Elon might be pissed by the recent EQS being competitive (even if more expensive) and, with some other recently launched or soon to be launched cars, they were caught "sleeping" and now don't have quite the lead they wanted.

Long story short here is, your context might be another bullet point of evidence that Tesla decided to re-work some stuff, in order to make the Model S more competitive. That would explain a 4-6 month delay....
If this is affecting production and delivery, would this just affect Plaid but not LR? Or would this hold up both ?

If this is affecting production and delivery, would this just affect Plaid but not LR? Or would this hold up both ?

I think both, because of the wind tunnel testing tidbit we heard - My wild ass guess is that they heard (behind the scenes) of the EQS' coefficient of drag and range (which beats the Model S) and decided to tweak some things to improve range/performance for all models.

For example, they could change external components like the diffuser, etc. But, there's no real other explanation of why they were wind tunnel testing the S in the Carolinas just a couple of weeks ago, other than to get information on cD.

Keep in mind - the Model S landing page states "Attention to detail on all exterior surfaces makes Model S the most aerodynamic production car on Earth."

This will no longer be true once the EQS is delivered.

Elon is crazy and crazy competitive, I bet he told the team that it needs to be .199 cD and a little more range buffer.

IF this is the case, we will all be happy to wait (probably) for the enhancements. If it isn't...well then, *sugar*.

Why use that instead of in-car sensors?
Good question, obviously Tesla in-car tech is powerful. That said, the Racelogic suite of testing equipment is used by most all vehicle manufacturers, is highly accurate and provides tons of parameters that can be datalogged and analyzed. Oh and Tesla is one of the manufacturers listed on the Racelogic VBOX Automotive customer section of their website VBOX Automotive website

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: elguapo and T-Racer
I think both, because of the wind tunnel testing tidbit we heard - My wild ass guess is that they heard (behind the scenes) of the EQS' coefficient of drag and range (which beats the Model S) and decided to tweak some things to improve range/performance for all models.

For example, they could change external components like the diffuser, etc. But, there's no real other explanation of why they were wind tunnel testing the S in the Carolinas just a couple of weeks ago, other than to get information on cD.

Keep in mind - the Model S landing page states "Attention to detail on all exterior surfaces makes Model S the most aerodynamic production car on Earth."

Elon is crazy and crazy competitive, I bet he told the team that it needs to be .199 cD and a little more range buffer.

IF this is the case, we will all be happy to wait (probably) for the enhancements. If it isn't...well then, *sugar*.
Thanks for the insight! I was just thinking that I’d be happier with the wait if it’s because of product improvement, much more so than if it’s due to inspection/permit delays or chip shortages. If they are trying to improve performance, why not say that’s the cause of the delay? Just in case the improvements don’t pan out?

Reactions: TNGuy99 and T-Racer
Thanks for the insight! I was just thinking that I’d be happier with the wait if it’s because of product improvement, much more so than if it’s due to inspection/permit delays or chip shortages. If they are trying to improve performance, why not say that’s the cause of the delay? Just in case the improvements don’t pan out?

Oh no - I don't think he would ever say that. If he were to say that publicly, it would be acknowledging his product is inferior and competition is real. I think his obvious lack of communication supports this theory also. They will give an update, pretend its something they were going to do anyway (even though the competition forced it on them) and everyone bitching and moaning will be happy regardless.

There's a ton of MS where I live and I knew (or had strong suspicion) immediately from looking ~50' ahead. It became more and more obvious as I accelerated onto the freeway from behind. Body and tire width are both slightly increased and I think the rear diffuser is slightly different too. Looking into the interior, the difference is obviously way more noticeable and the yoke looks really cool. Hopefully it's going to be practical too!

While I was waiting for the Tesla page update to still tell me my February delivery is still July, I happened to follow a new Mach E into my development here. Nice lines and sleek crossover I didn’t expect with Mustang brand. Elon needs to continue to up his game with all this competition between Y and S models.....or he can ignore it and focus on Mars.

.008 is within the margin of error. I about the EQS is calculating to a hundredth which is where they are getting their .2 from. I'll take a .008 difference if it means I don't get an ugly exterior egg like the EQS. :)

Hey @sam3194 . Any update on that call?

Could you confirm/deny if it did happen + you heard noteworthy info about it + you were told you can't share that info?

My source has been mum lately and that's not indicative of any news. He said "Now I know what it feels to be promised a date to hear something of substance and to not hear anything."

He isn't someone who is just in Sales. He is in logistics located IN FREMONT. He told me he was supposed to hear something last week but nothing. None of his colleagues heard anything either. He said it's most likely going to be mentioned on the call later next week but how much will be mentioned is unclear even to him now. Sorry guys. I'm as upset as you all are.

Good news is that he is now as upset as we are! He's going to call me the minute he hears anything, but I suspect we will hear it all the same time as him next week.

Oh no - I don't think he would ever say that. If he were to say that publicly, it would be acknowledging his product is inferior and competition is real. I think his obvious lack of communication supports this theory also. They will give an update, pretend its something they were going to do anyway (even though the competition forced it on them) and everyone bitching and moaning will be happy regardless.
I’ve bought into the “Tesla is beefing up the refresh“ theory as the most plausible explanation for the delay.