Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Teslas but wasn't there a white not too long ago which was an add-on option of $2000-2500? Was it different than the white currently on offer?
Likewise, I remember black being the "free" color while others were an added option.
No idea. The MS Plaid is my first Tesla as well. I think they used to have Silver ext color but not sure why they ditched it. I may have opted for Silver but truly, white (with all the black accents and trim) looks “hot” in a good way but it’s the coolest for hot climates and stays cleaner than other colors.

Reactions: ssv22
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 2.56.10 PM.png

This color popularity chart generally holds true for most automotive brands outside of a select few exotic brands such as Lamborghini and Ferrari.

View attachment 668214
This color popularity chart generally holds true for most automotive brands outside of a select few exotic brands such as Lamborghini and Ferrari.
Yeah, although rare, when I see a God-awful color on a sports car, say a tan or brown Porsche 911 Turbo or AMG or something like that, I just want to go ask the owner, like WTF were you thinking when you ordered or chose that hideous dog-doo brown color? Eeew. 🙄💩

Alright folks. I managed to find the lot, however the gate was closed and with no trespassing signs everywhere, I walked half a mile and took some pictures and videos from the street.
1) There seemed to be a lot more LR's than Plaid.
2) There were a few S's along the fence and i managed to peep in through the fence crack and all of them had a yoke steering.
3) Lot more white/cream interior than black.
4) All of them had a QR code/VIN number on the windshield.

Here are a few pics. Uploading video next.
That new Magno finish (even on the glass) is amazing!

Reactions: doubleshot
Highly unlikely. White is the most common color for low-end cars, mainly people who aren’t very interested in cars and just want a very basic, economical thing. That’s not who is buying a Model S.
As I remember Elon said a couple of years ago that the white cars were the easiest to paint, black was second and the paint booth after a red change over took a lot of extra clean up time as it "looked like an episode from HBO's Dexter"
Our price history,
The 2018 car;
Model 3 Not including the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit $35,000 Long Range Battery $9,000 Premium Upgrades $5,000 Pearl White Paint $1,000 19’’ Sport Wheels $1,500 Enhanced Autopilot $5,000 Subtotal $56,500 Destination and Documentation Fee $1,000 Total $57,500

The 2020 car;
Price (USD) Model Y $41,000 Long Range All-Wheel Drive $8,990 Pearl White Paint Included 20’’ Induc5on Wheels $2,000 Black and White Premium Interior $1,000 Five Seat Interior Included Autopilot Included Full Self-Driving Capability $8,000 Subtotal $60,990 and Documenta5on Fee $1,200 Order Fee $100 Total $62,290.

Our revised new 2021 order;
Model S
$64,990.00
Model S Plaid
$55,000.00
Solid Black
$1,500.00
Full Self-Driving Capability
$10,000.00
Black and White Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
$2,000.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$134,790.00

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EVCollies
Why not ? Base S is under $80K.
Technically the way the bill is currently written it it’s MSRP, not base price. Base is slightly under $80k, but they add $1,200 destination and doc fee plus $100 order fee. So there isn’t a way to get a MS under $80k. If it’s based on the base price, then every MS would qualify since even Plaids have a “base price” of $65k before adding the options that make it a Plaid.

Technically the way the bill is currently written it it’s MSRP, not base price. Base is slightly under $80k, but they add $1,200 destination and doc fee plus $100 order fee. So there isn’t a way to get a MS under $80k. If it’s based on the base price, then every MS would qualify since even Plaids have a “base price” of $65k before adding the options that make it a Plaid.

MSRP does not include delivery fees. Tesla does not charge doc fees.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Racer and croman
Haha. True. Basic base is $79990. $10 under the limit. If you're that concerned about the tax credit tough. Perhaps a $80k car isn't for you. But I like MSM so tax credit doesn't apply to me.
I ordered white exterior with black interior. That's the combo I want. This is my second S. First one is red.

I don't see how this $80K car is not for me. Yes, I would love to get the $10K credit.

Reactions: Kaos_X and T-Racer
Yeah, although rare, when I see a God-awful color on a sports car, say a tan or brown Porsche 911 Turbo or AMG or something like that, I just want to go ask the owner, like WTF were you thinking when you ordered or chose that hideous dog-doo brown color? Eeew. 🙄💩
Agreed, but those were very common colors on German cars when I lived in Germany a long time ago--so long ago, it was West Germany. I've been many times since, but I didn't notice if that was still true.

I agree 100%
We had this debate a couple of days ago and some people just couldn’t see this for what it is. The single greatest increase to gross profit margin per vehicle.
But isn't it true that they cannot count the FSD towards profit until they release a certain level of autonomy? Then they can retroactively apply/realize all the FSD $$. Sure it's cash in pocket, but i don't think it's realized with quarterly revenues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: HumanInput
But isn't it true that they cannot count the FSD towards profit until they release a certain level of autonomy? Then they can retroactively apply/realize all the FSD $$. Sure it's cash in pocket, but i don't think it's realized with quarterly revenues. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct in the sense that they can only recognize 50% of the profit now and the rest gets deferred. Even with only 50% of the FSD revenue recognized in the current quarter, it still remains as the greatest single increase to profit margins because no additional cost is associated with adding it to the vehicle.

Compare FSD to something like the 21“ Arachnid wheels that might have a 20% profit margin. This $4,500 option might add an additional $900 in profit. Nothing compared to recognizing 50% of FSD now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput