Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 383D6271-22C2-4E5A-9776-2A2D9508918B.png
    383D6271-22C2-4E5A-9776-2A2D9508918B.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 77
Highly unlikely. White is the most common color for low-end cars, mainly people who aren’t very interested in cars and just want a very basic, economical thing. That’s not who is buying a Model S.
I disagree and we have the stats to prove that your theory is inaccurate. Just look at the refreshed Model S tracking sheet and you will see that White is 25% of the orders and the second most popular color after MSM
Hmm, I was going from memory, but I guess for “luxury” cars, metallic or pearl white is indeed the most popular.

However, note that it doesn’t even make the list for coupes & convertibles (which are mainly sports cars), which might be the stat I was remembering . Hard to say how that would translate here.

I wouldn’t really trust the forum spreadsheet to be representative, but you may be right. I certainly wasn’t trying to knock anyone’s color choice, just speculating based on the data I’d seen in the past.

Last edited:
You’re wrong. Sorry but I’ve had black, gunmetal grey, silver, other color and white vehicles in the past. White is actually best for the S FL’s heat year round and stays clean better than any other color. That’s why white is the most popular vehicle color in the state; has nothing to do with it looking plain or whatever…nothing “low end” about the color.
I didn’t mean to say that it was a “low end” color at all. I was just recalling data that said white was the most common color across all cars, but not for all segments (price or vehicle type). Florida is also a fairly unique customer segment, and probably not representative of the overall Tesla purchasing population.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last reply, I did find stats showing that white is more popular than I had thought for “luxury” cars, so it may be more popular for the S than I would have guessed.
Anecdotally, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a white S around Seattle. It’s certainly the rarest in-producing color around here in my experience (MSM being the most common by far).

Last edited:
Reactions: Danlbrau
Question for all you Teslaphiles: At the delivery process, when that finally arrives, upon inspection of the vehicle we find unacceptable issues with the car that we choose not to have them remedy in the future, how does Tesla handle returning our money? I ask because of all the delay and outside storage issues with the car.

Reactions: T-Racer
I am new to Teslas but wasn't there a white not too long ago which was an add-on option of $2000-2500? Was it different than the white currently on offer?
Likewise, I remember black being the "free" color while others were an added option.
My understanding was that they changed white to be the default because more buyers were happy to save money and stay with black as the free color than were happy to stay with white.

Reactions: HumanInput
I didn’t mean to say that it was a “low end” color at all. I was just recalling data that said white was the most common color across all cars, but not for all segments (price or vehicle type). Florida is also a fairly unique customer segment, and probably not representative of the overall Tesla purchasing population.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last reply, I did find stats showing that white is more popular than I had thought for “luxury” cars, so it may be more popular for the S than I would have guessed.
Anecdotally, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a white S around Seattle. It’s certainly the rarest in-producing color around here in my experience (MSM being the most common by far).
With all that rain in Seattle, I would think white cars would be quite popular. Anyhow, no worries. No offense. Btw - I could be wrong but I think aside from CA having the most, Florida may have the 2nd highest number of Tesla EVs and I bet 50% or more are white.

I certainly wasn’t trying to knock anyone’s color choice, just speculating based on the data I’d seen in the past.
I wasn’t personally offended by your comment, I just believe it to be an inaccurate statement. My previous Model S was Pearl White-Multicoat, and it was the first white car I had ever owned. Previously, I had only owned dark colors (Black, Gray, Dark Blue) and I thought I hated white cars. I didn’t choose white, I picked it up because I found a deal on a used Performance model that I couldn’t pass up. I ended up loving the white car and found that it had several positives I had never considered. It was incredibly easy to wash and maintain. It always looked better than my dark cars because it doesn’t show all the scratches and swirl marks. Paint chips didn’t show and after 5 years it still looked showroom new. By the way, the Tesla multi-coat white has tremendous depth and seems like a much higher quality finish compared to the rest of my Tesla cars that are black or MSM.

In Southern California, it also has all of the heat advantages that sflgator addressed and looks great with dark tinted windows, black trim, and black wheels. In my neighborhood, white Model S cars are quite common and I see several on a daily basis. I would say at least 1/4 of all the Model S vehicles I see are white. Obviously, geographic variances exist and there are more Tesla’s in Southern California than anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
With all that rain in Seattle, I would think white cars would be quite popular. Anyhow, no worries. No offense. Btw - I could be wrong but I think aside from CA having the most, Florida may have the 2nd highest number of Tesla EVs and I bet 50% or more are white.
I’m pretty sure Seattle is one of Tesla’s largest markets, or at least it was for a long time. It sometimes feels like they’re every other car around here.

White is pretty hard to keep clean around here. I had a white A5 and it was the hardest car to keep clean I’ve ever owned (have had multiple flat and metallic blacks, red, now blue). Drive through one puddle and the whole side skirts and the bottom of the door panels + fenders are filthy.

Reactions: boonedocks
I’m pretty sure Seattle is one of Tesla’s largest markets, or at least it was for a long time. It sometimes feels like they’re every other car around here.

White is pretty hard to keep clean around here. I had a white A5 and it was the hardest car to keep clean I’ve ever owned (have had multiple flat and metallic blacks, red, now blue). Drive through one puddle and the whole side skirts and the bottom of the door panels + fenders are filthy.
We don’t have puddles in Southern California. Just an occasional mudslide after a wildfire!

Not to mention colder environments could care less about which color keeps their interior cooler.

Reactions: doubleshot
My response was in regard to the comment that Tesla doesn’t charge documentation fees. So...it appears they do, even though it’s combined with the destination fee.

Which by the way, they charge even if you pick up in Fremont.
$1,200 is the destination fee. There is no separate doc fee. Destination fees are standardised for the country, and it doesn't matter where you pick up the car.

California also gives a $1,500 rebate.