Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I went to a different Tesla dealership and spoke with a random SA. I had her look up my account. I ordered the car on October 29th, 2020. When they announced the refresh the people that ordered "pre" refresh had the old Model S's on their account page and old information. We were told that we had to wait for the account to be updated to the new Model S and it would happen in due time. Had nothing to do with me or not being ready for my order, this is on TESLA to transfer it over. So yesterday she shows me that in my account that my order was completed on March 1st. This is when Tesla finally transferred the correct info to my account. And she is saying from her perspective it looks like this is when the order was "completed". Excuse me??? I ordered this car in October not March, and it was completed before it transferred over.
Honestly if people that ordered their cars in January and February get theirs before me, I am out. Tesla will not deserve my money and I will be happy to go to another brand. This is my first Tesla and this experience has been a total joke. This would literally be the cherry on the top of a 'sugar' show.
I had same issue as I ordered a couple weeks before you. When I ordered I specifically asked for a March delivery date. Max from date of order is 6 months for delivery. I called my SA and the main number. Both told me that this would not change my place in the queue as I was just agreeing to the new model. My RN 1140 never changed and I had a 2/15 to 3/15 Delivery Estimate, then June and now blank. Cant say for sure as Elon is always flat out lying and the company as a whole seems inept as to how to communicate with customers. I know the you’ll love it when you get it. After 7 months of nothing but pay us more money that is of little consequence.

Reactions: boonedocks
The Lucid is a cool prototype ... but do they? Lucid is going to be busy cutting their teeth on traditional manufacturing methods for the next 5 years ... they don't even have a viable factory yet, the hardest part by far of being a car builder is getting the factory right ... meanwhile, Tesla has reserved all 7 of the giga presses being made from the only two companies that make them.

I'm rooting for all the competition to be honest, but I don't think Lucid is going to be one of them. Tesla needs to keep one eye on Ford, another on Rivian, and occasionally look over at GMC to see how that Hummer is doing.
I would also be looking at the VW group. 3 (VW, Porsche Taycan and Audi E-Tron) viable EV's right now and the money and engineering to build an ecosystem with charging and software development.

Reactions: HumanInput
It really worries me that my account still shows no delivery date information. I think I'd rather be lied to.

View attachment 668733
I wonder if those of us with FSD but no "Remove Full Self-Driving" button already have our cars in transit, or even just assigned?
My LRS is a 1/1/21 order simple black on black 19" +FSD

3EC211C9-2DA5-4341-9DE5-133352CA4A36_1_201_a.jpeg
80762F91-68BA-415C-8D7D-4DFCE0635FD9_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: Fwizzy and T-Racer
I lived in Central California for a few years and it would hit 100 consistently during the summers. It was night and day with respect to getting comfortable with my white Tesla and my friends' black cars.
One of the little things that impressed the heck out of when I first got my P85 is being able to drive down the central valley in the middle of the day Ono a 100+ day and feel no heat coming through the pano roof--the IR shielding was excellent. The window glass on the other hand.... :)

If the announcement to start deliveries is during the event next Thursday, then it’s about 2 week (+/-) a couple of days until July, which starts Q3 then.
My theory is the folks getting cars next week are insiders and are either unlikely to blab or under NDA

Was there anything worth mentioning from the event last night?
This is off-topic, but I know the person running this effort inside of Tesla. If anyone who attended has any feedback (what was good, what could be better) please DM me

The Lucid is a cool prototype ... but do they? Lucid is going to be busy cutting their teeth on traditional manufacturing methods for the next 5 years ... they don't even have a viable factory yet, the hardest part by far of being a car builder is getting the factory right ... meanwhile, Tesla has reserved all 7 of the giga presses being made from the only two companies that make them.
I feel like folks are using different criteria for Lucid than for Tesla. My P85 was purchased one year into production and it was one of the best cars I have ever owned for fit and finish. In addition, Lucid's VP of manufacturing was the former lead of Tesla-Fremont and spent 25 years at Audi, so, presumably, he knows a few things. No doubt manufacturing a car is not an inconsequential task, but it is also known science and I have to wonder how much of the "production hell" is a function of the guy in charge.

If the Lucid was ready to go, I would be out of here in two seconds. Everything about it looks amazing. Tesla has some serious competition coming.
What makes you think lucid will be any better with their delivery and timing? Cause they have a great looking prototype and a solid commercial? Be serious. They will struggle just as much..

I wonder if those of us with FSD but no "Remove Full Self-Driving" button already have our cars in transit, or even just assigned?
My LRS is a 1/1/21 order simple black on black 19" +FSD

View attachment 668740View attachment 668741
We have the exact same configuration, except I do not have FSD, ordered 1 day apart. I have no delivery information shown either, after losing the 6/1-30 estimate on 5/21.

Reactions: boonedocks
I feel like folks are using different criteria for Lucid than for Tesla. My P85 was purchased one year into production and it was one of the best cars I have ever owned for fit and finish. In addition, Lucid's VP of manufacturing was the former lead of Tesla-Fremont and spent 25 years at Audi, so, presumably, he knows a few things. No doubt manufacturing a car is not an inconsequential task, but it is also known science and I have to wonder how much of the "production hell" is a function of the guy in charge.

Definitely different criteria ... the landscape is different now than it was back then ... everybody and their brother has an EV prototype "launching".

Say what you want about Ford, but they know how to manufacture, this puts them towards the front of the pack. Even with the underwhelming specs of the Mach-E and F150 Lightning, Ford has an unbelievable base of extremely loyal customers.

Last edited:
It really worries me that my account still shows no delivery date information. I think I'd rather be lied to.

View attachment 668733
Both of my orders (LR from Feb and Plaid from last week) have both blank for a week. I have nothing more than a hunch to back this up but, but I think they are manually managing the order backlog right now, which is why you see random dates or nothing in the system.

Definitely different criteria ... the landscape is different now than it was back then ... everybody and their brother has an EV prototype "launching".

Say what you want about Ford, but they know how to manufacture, this puts them towards the front of the pack. Even with the underwhelming specs of the Mach-E and F150 Lightning, Ford has an unbelievable base of extremely loyal customers, don't underestimate that.
Agree--while Tesla has the technology advantage, the legacy folks (Ford, GM, VAG, Toyota, Hyundai/KIA) have the manufacturing expertise, capacity and supply chain to ramp quickly and deliver consistent quality. Now, they just need a compelling product (and a charging network). :)

Agree--while Tesla has the technology advantage, the legacy folks (Ford, GM, VAG, Toyota, Hyundai/KIA) have the manufacturing expertise, capacity and supply chain to ramp quickly and deliver consistent quality. Now, they just need a compelling product (and a charging network). :)
Yep, those legacy automakers are awesome at building complex internal combustion engines

Eh? The Mach E is middle of the pack, but I don’t see how you could make the same claim with the Lightning. I think Ford hit it out of the park with that truck in almost every way.
Add to this that the F-150's advertised range is with 1000lb load, not empty. If the numbers pan out, that is 465 miles of range. Obviously it is vaporware'ish for now, but that's insane range.

seems like they didn't put to much effort into looks beyond an F150 minor face-lift which kind of looks stapled on.
As someone who could never own a Cybertruck on the grounds of being over the age of 20 and taking myself modestly seriously - this is exactly what I want from an F150. It can just look like every other truck and that's ok with me.

Yep, those legacy automakers are awesome at building complex internal combustion engines

I was all set to defend legacy automakers because they understand how to make cars, which is (in fact) insanely complicated and really difficult.

But - I had an Alfa Romeo before the S and in the couple of years I owned it, it had something like 6 recalls. The software was absolutely, positively terrible, and the gaps between body panels were huge (-> they didn't have the process down to make the seams straight, either). It had squeaks and rattles, and lots of cheap plastic parts that broke (every time something broke, I had to battle FCA because their default position on warranty claims was that it must have been something I did). The car was beautiful inside and out, but had annoying bits of cheapness and in the end the car was just aggravating to own.

Before that I had an Audi A6 and it was great for exactly 4 years, then self-destructed - the taillights melted (seriously), the insulation burned off the wires in the headlights, there were other electrical problems, oil leaks from every seal in the engine; other mechanical problems; it was precision engineered to last exactly 4 years and not a day more. Audi's customer service was absolutely for tears and has been for decades. I recall VW had software problems so severe on the ID.3 back in 2019 (?) that they had to actually send technicians out to manually update the software on like 10k cars.

Tesla has had a rough slog getting their act together, and had to learn automaking basically from scratch, but legacy automakers have gotten pretty bad at making cars too. Maybe they can all grow together.

That’s the worst part. I’ve seen so many people that sold their MS’s (me too) based on clearly erroneous information their new car was coming soon. It’s really infuriating they are showing June delivery for Plaids ordered today, particularly given a page earlier someone posted they ordered one last week and their expected delivery said June for a day or two and now blank. And those of us that ordered months ago? Zero communication as to when we can expect our cars while they make it obvious they are going to prioritize customers ordering today over us.

Not exactly the way to build customer loyalty.
I was the guy from the prior page with June for 1 day lol
Also agree. Sold my MX in January. If I were getting back into an MX, I’d have to wait literally one year. I canceled my order, put a deposit on a Rivian and ultimately came back to Tesla when I saw that MS Plaid was available in June. Put an order on one of those. We shall see…
Just curious, does your order still have June delivery ?