Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll give you my two cents. It takes a little getting used to. If you haven’t set it to your desired location it can make tired arms. Turning is fine. Don’t even thing about driving with your knees. Won’t happen with the straight part at the bottom, not possible. One handed driving is fine for the most part. When I have driven it, my hands are always moving around trying to find a more comfortable place, they are too used to a round wheel. It’s different but in a week it will be second nature I’m sure
Honestly, this feature is so silly in my opinion, it may actually be a deal breaker for me. I have reservations on a MS and MX. Please check back with us to let us know if this does in fact become comfortable. Since the yoke was announced, I have paid more attention to where my hands tend to go on my steering wheel, and they are very frequently at or near 12 o'clock. The last thing I want is sore shoulders from simple driving.

I just finished speaking with Tesla and I am hot as hell. Tesla is insisting on charging me the $10,000 price increase for converting a plaid+ order I placed on Battery Day. As my signature indicates, I have been a faithful Tesla customer and a shareholder as well. I will be canceling my plaid+ reservation and looking elsewhere for a new car. Good luck to all of you!

Sorry to hear they treated you that way. Tesla’s frequent arrogance when dealing with customer concerns in the US will come back to haunt it eventually; like what has happened in China as EV competition has increased.

Reactions: HumanInput
If I could get a switch I’d think about it at this moment. In another week I might be over it tho. Yes, I knee drive a lot. Haha
This yoke steering wheel sounds disappointing. There was so much speculation about all the technology that went into improving the functionality of this new driving paradigm. The speculation included variable ratio steering and sophisticated drive by wire systems. Unfortunately, none of that actually occurred. It just sounds like Elon looked at the car and said "Oh, that yoke looks cool. We can say this is new alien technology. People will love the way it looks." Unfortunately, a steering wheel is the most functional part of the car and your interface to the road. It isn't meant to be modified based solely on appearance. I know we have had this debate here multiple times, but this is really disappointing.

Why reinvent the wheel? Steering wheels work! Please give us the option to choose what steering interface we would prefer!

I’ll give you my two cents. It takes a little getting used to. If you haven’t set it to your desired location it can make tired arms. Turning is fine. Don’t even thing about driving with your knees. Won’t happen with the straight part at the bottom, not possible. One handed driving is fine for the most part. When I have driven it, my hands are always moving around trying to find a more comfortable place, they are too used to a round wheel. It’s different but in a week it will be second nature I’m sure
Building on that...

Agree that set-up is key. The long drive home gave me time to play and I ended up with a setup that leaves my arms more bent than in our X or old S. You arms/shoulders definitely get more of a workout during turns as you can no longer reach across the wheel and grab it at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock to initiate a turn (using your back) and instead you are pushing the wheel up and around using your shoulders. I am not sure it is really any harder, just different muscles.

Overall, I agree that in a week or so, it'll all feel normal.

Just wondering, what’s the source of that information? I understand MPGe although it’s not relevant in how far your car will go on a charge. It certainly makes sense charging losses would be included in the 100mi/KwH calculation but I’m not certain charging losses are standard across all platforms so it would seem hard to estimate.
Off topic, so my last post here until there is more info on the battery...

It's surprisingly difficult to find one quick definitive link (I might have missed it). But you can look around at various articles, and it's mentioned in numerous places. If in doubt, you can go to the EPA document lookup, which has ALL the information on the test done on the car (not available for this one - yet). And then calculate the numbers yourself. You'll find that if you calculate the numbers that they align with the MPGe numbers on the Monroney, as long as you include the charging losses.

For example, Model 3 SR has a range of 263 miles and took 62.2kWh to charge up: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51461&flag=1

That's an MPGe of 263mi/(62.6kWh/33.705kWh/Ge) = 142MPGe

That is exactly what it is listed as:

Yes, the charging losses depend on amperage, etc. They typically seem to assume the maximum charge rate for the vehicle since that is where efficiency is best. Obviously they're totally different for Supercharging (though they are still there on the Supercharger side).

It makes sense to include them in the rating, because the losses are large, and otherwise there would be no incentive for manufacturers to keep them as low as possible.

Anyway, I'll sit on the sidelines now.

I'm still not sure. The one positive for the Plaid is that we can now buy it for $10k less than the current price. That helps a little bit with the initial depreciation hit which is always pretty significant on the Performance vehicles. On the other hand, it is still $40,000 more expensive than the LR and I was hoping for some additional differentiator that didn't materialize. I was very happy with my Ludicrous equipped P90D and it really never left me wanting for more. It seems like the LR will match that performance, so the Plaid is hard for me to justify to take less than 1 second off the 0-60.

The only time I would be able to take advantage of that acceleration is while driving solo, on remote roads in the middle of the night. 😳 If I did a full Plaid launch with my family or wife in the car, I don't think I would be married much longer. Ultimately, it really depends on how fast the production ramp is and when I can take delivery. Elon is talking about a really slow production ramp of only 100 cars per week. We might not see 1000 cars per week until late September. If that is true, I don't expect to see my LR order for several months. Makes me think of how long I waited for my first Model 3 and I certainly don't want to do that again.

So, I guess I'm still undecided and will just leave all of my orders in and see what happens. I'm not worried that both cars will show up at the same time because that seems highly unlikely. The $100 is nonrefundable, so I don't really see a benefit in canceling the order.

It's unfortunate that our purchase agreements are non-transferable. I would love to be able to transfer one of my Plaid orders to Plaid + buyers that aren't being offered the $10k discount. This is inexplicable because those original Plaid + orders were all just Plaid orders on battery day.
The 10k savings against depreciation is a good way to keep me interested in the order, cause I, like you, hoped for more differentiation in the two models. At this price point, I expect more of “the little things”. Really bummed about the CF diffuser. Even the door sill is matte like the 3/Y. I see a lot of parts shared in the two models. So far, I’m pretty content hanging onto my MYP, the August date gives more time to see what else comes about. I wouldn’t be surprised if the calipers change color again, software unlocks, etc.

Have I mentioned I’ve not heard the first word since I placed my order from my SA? I might drive the two hours and just ask someone else to look after my order. My dude didn’t even say hi the day I picked up the Y. Not expecting much, I know the drill, but we can certainly do better than that.

So has anyone figured out why all the cars at the Fremont lots are sitting? Are they sellable vehicles? If so, that is a few hundred that would go out in addition to the new production Elon discussed.

I know some were missing pieces parts but surely some can ship. We should not be starting from scratch today.
I tried asking when I spoke to someone at the local dealer earlier, but I’m sure you can guess how that convo went…

Admittedly, I often drive with my knee. Ruh roh! I have to wonder if for those new MS Plaid/LR owners who are super unhappy about the new 1/2 steering wheel yoke...if you request it, will Tesla swap out the steering wheel for a regular round steering wheel at some point? I doubt it, but the option would be nice.
As much as I am open to the idea of the yoke, and I’m sure will get used to it overtime, I would much rather have a round steering wheel.

Ok talk me off a ledge here (or tell me it’s ok to jump!). I’m really looking for opinions and feedback from this community.

All what we’ve seen of Plaid tonight doesn’t really make it a compelling choice for a normal commuter use case like mine, does it? (Office, grocery runs, kids schools, day trips around the metro area). LR and Plaid seem shockingly close in terms of specs. With range also being close, if batteries are same, it seems more likely that LR gets a range boost in future (more than a Plaid due to the 3rd motor maybe).

Plaid is an engineering marvel no doubt, and that Cheetah launch mode will be insane for anyone who takes it to track. That is not something I see myself doing ever. Besides that I’m going to be limited in truly utilizing the Plaid’s potential to freeway on-ramps and peacocking at stop lights, right?

For some reason, I just seem to think older LR Plus had a lot more meaningful differentiation from Performance. I guess I was looking for that “surprise” that never materialized…

They are not close in performance. 2 second 0-60 versus 3 second is worlds apart - even if it doesn't seem that way. And that's not even mentioning the 1/8th and 1/4 mile differences which is where they are really separated, which I expect to be atleast a full 2 second difference. If you want extreme pulling power at speed, the Plaid is in another league.

This yoke steering wheel sounds disappointing. There was so much speculation about all the technology that went into improving the functionality of this new driving paradigm. The speculation included variable ratio steering and sophisticated drive by wire systems. Unfortunately, none of that actually occurred. It just sounds like Elon looked at the car and said "Oh, that yoke looks cool. We can say this is new alien technology. People will love the way it looks." Unfortunately, a steering wheel is the most functional part of the car and your interface to the road. It isn't meant to be modified based solely on appearance. I know we have had this debate here multiple times, but this is really disappointing.

Why reinvent the wheel? Steering wheels work! Please give us the option to choose what steering interface we would prefer!
Exactly my sentiments...oh but wait, some people will now accuse you and I and others of being "negative" and "toxic on Tesla." Um, okay, bunch of Tesla fan boy sheep will gladly agree with whatever Elon says or does and every decision he and he alone makes; makes me think of someone else who was in the news everyday spewing out propaganda and falsehoods from 2016-2020. I just want everyone to know that it's okay to question things and help a company become BETTER, especially when you're buying and spending A LOT of your own hard-earned money on their sh!t! ;)

Last edited:
Any new 0-60 times posted by anyone since last night? Guess I am just one of those crazy obsessed speed freaks. haha
Yeah I was wondering why Brooks' car (yes okay with it loaded up with 3 or 4 people) only got 2.7 sec 0-60mph. Disappointing...surprised Brooks didn't mention that in his video. But, I'm sure we'll see hundreds more videos showing better, faster 0-60mph and 1/4 mi times very soon! 👍😎

They are not close in performance. 2 second 0-60 versus 3 second is worlds apart - even if it doesn't seem that way. And that's not even mentioning the 1/8th and 1/4 mile differences which is where they are really separated, which I expect to be atleast a full 2 second difference. If you want extreme pulling power at speed, the Plaid is in another league.

Put it this way... The difference in acceleration between the two cars is roughly 0.5 g’s. So if you are a 200 lb driver, that‘s like having a 100 lb weight pressing against your chest pushing you into your seat. That’s 100 pounds MORE than the g’s already being imposed by the 3.1 second acceleration of the LR!

Put it this way... The difference in acceleration between the two cars is roughly 0.5 g’s. So if you are a 200 lb driver, that‘s like having a 100 lb weight pressing against your chest pushing you into your seat. That’s 100 pounds MORE than the g’s already being imposed by the 3.1 second acceleration of the LR!
SO if I just gain 100 Lbs, my LR will be just as fast as a Plaid! 💡

Exactly my sentiments...oh but wait, some people will now accuse you and I and others of being "negative" and "toxic on Tesla." Um, okay, bunch of Tesla fan boy sheep will gladly agree with whatever Elon says or does and every decision he and he alone makes; makes me think of someone else who was in the news everyday spewing our propaganda and falsehoods from 2016-2020. I just want everyone to know that it's okay to question things and help a company become BETTER, especially when you're buying and spending A LOT of your own hard-earned money on their sh!t! ;)
Wait. I was about to give you a heart till you brought politics in. Common dude. Esp from gator country.

It is rather amazing how many absolute deal breaker failures Tesla has had over the last ten or so years before they were even tested - at least on the forums.

The original S with no buttons was certainly their downfall, as was the 3 with no drivers gauges. The announcement of no vents cause thousands to cancel their reservations as a solution to a problem that didn't exist. No key FOB, they dropped like flies according to posts on the forum. Of course, once people actually tried some of these utter failures, they were not so bad, and have not been issues at all, may have even become selling points. You may hate the yoke, but if history is any indication, based on my experience on these forums, the yoke will be a non-issue in a year.

It is rather amazing how many absolute deal breaker failures Tesla has had over the last ten or so years before they were even tested - at least on the forums.

The original S with no buttons was certainly their downfall, as was the 3 with no drivers gauges. The announcement of no vents cause thousands to cancel their reservations as a solution to a problem that didn't exist. No key FOB, they dropped like flies according to posts on the forum. Of course, once people actually tried some of these utter failures, they were not so bad, and have not been issues at all, may have even become selling points. You may hate the yoke, but if history is any indication, based on my experience on these forums, the yoke will be a non-issue in a year.
Screw the yoke. Just give me a game pad. I didn't play Gran Turismo across 4 systems for nothing.