Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im still amazed (but then again, note really) at the call yesterday. Gotta give it to Elon, when he doubles down, he doubles down. (L4 will happen before end of 2022 AND FSD will exceed capablities

Yep. And the main selling point of the yoke was "it doesnt block the instrument cluster like the round wheel does." Which gave the impression that the cluster had somehow moved position on the refresh, since literally NO ONE complained about the steering wheel blocking the cluster before.

So now we get to see a round wheel installed in a refresh and the wheel is in no way..blocking..the cluster. And at low tight turns/speeds, it works better than the yoke. So now Im really trying to understand where is the benefit of the yoke, in a car with no variable steering? Or is the "benefit" that its simply different?

Wait until you have the yoke and then pass judgement. The view is a huge benefit. Every car I have ever owned has blocked some portion of the IC. The 2020 Model S I drove was same - blocked my view. The view with the yoke is a huge benefit to me.

Beg to differ on a steering wheel blocking the instrument cluster. I've been through around 15 cars in my life and I can't remember a single one where I could clearly see the whole instrument cluster when the seat and steering wheel were adjusted to my height, arm, and leg length. That includes my current 2016.5 MS. The first time I sat behind the yoke in the new MS and glanced down at the center cluster, I could see the whole damn thing! I get that not everyone has my body dimensions, but I bet quite a few people find the top of a regular steering wheel to be in the way.

The jury is still out on the tiny buttons and lack of stalks, but I think I'm really going to like the yoke itself.
Understood, but with the most recent updates, is there much (other than speedometer) data still showing on the IC? I got the impression it was same as Y where most critical data/info is now on the center screen?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Understood, but with the most recent updates, is there much (other than speedometer) data still showing on the IC? I got the impression it was same as Y where most critical data/info is now on the center screen?
You get navigation data on the instrument cluster, when applied. But I would say speedometer and driving visualizations are fairly important. And so larger map screen is the primary view on the main screen. With the ability to adjust / view music, HVAC, settings, etc.

It will still be interesting to see if they bring back instrument cluster customization like they did pre-refresh.

Wait until you have the yoke and then pass judgement. The view is a huge benefit. Every car I have ever owned has blocked some portion of the IC. The 2020 Model S I drove was same - blocked my view. The view with the yoke is a huge benefit to me.
Now the yoke blocks the view of the center screen's lower left corner.

Just got a VIN
VIN Assigned.. NF467. August order - pre final price hike. NY.
Red/White/19 No FSD.
EDD last night was March 19 - March 31st.

Probably going to decline the VIN as they simply reached out of the blue today and want me to pick up the car within the next 3 days (someone declined delivery so I was next in line I guess). Too soon for me as I was hoping for my March EDD to potentially have the updated lights. Don't hate me for being optimistic.. haha.

Hey family and friends! I finally took delivery of W/W LR yesterday. Shared my delivery experience and initial impressions on the WA thread; quoting them here in case you are interested. Thanks @EndlessPlaid and many others for your support; it's been an interesting and rewarding 6mo wait. For now I still plan on watching these delivery threads in case people need help.

0. Before delivery, I went to Bellevue showroom. SA took my DCU check image and uploaded to the system. With that, payment won’t block delivery.
1. The delivery driver was very professional.
2. Met him at drive way. Did quick inspection primarily on paint, seal, and alignment. Then accepted delivery.
3. Sat in the car and paired phone key. Signed a few documents then transferred ownership. Handed over the DCU check. Car rebooted twice (by design) and showed up on my account.
4. The only 2 things I could pick on QC are A) trunk panel gap on right hand side and B) a little adhesives left on rear side of the car (minor). Scheduled a service appointment to address, as I’m too dumb to fix them by myself haha. They give 24 hours on cosmetic issues so why not.
5. The car is fast. Coming from Boxster 718 and having driven my friend’s C8 and a 90D ~5 years ago, this instant torque still impresses me.
6. The car is gorgeous. Old/current lights but whatever.
7. Adaptive air suspension and seat are good but I might have had a super high expectation. Under certain circumstances (i.e. going through a speed bump), I could feel the diff from the steel suspension on my wife’s A5 sportback. But in general, the ride is compliant without anything “standing out“.
8. 2021.44.30.8 showed up during delivery and proceeded with upgrade after first drive of 2 miles. AP calibrated to 99% by that time.
9. Put on mud flaps before dinner. Also went through the inspection list in full, and all the menus and entertainment logins.
10. Drove out in the evening. Yeah it’s such a nice car! AP is great, screen is great. Audio system (without tweaking EQ) is good. Voice command needs some improvements though. Ambient light is hard to find; I almost thought they are broken. There are also some expected noise (from fan?) when charging. Need to close the doors harder compared to other cars. And there was a loud pump sound right when getting into the car for the evening trip. Hey but that’s the short list I could find. Everything else, is, just, amazing.
11. Will drive more in evening and over weekend!

Overall, it’s a very nice experience! Would prefer not having to inspect a bunch of stuff at this price point but QC easily exceeded my low expectation!
I wish you and everyone a smooth delivery!

Oh to add a few more thoughts
- I had 0 problem with the stalkless-yoke. I didn't reach for stalk even once. For maybe 2 times, I glanced the turn signal button just to be sure. Now I just need a stalk to hang my face mask.
- 110v charging is... slow... HPWC installation scheduled for next week so will have to live with 1kw power for a few more days.
- AC is noisy.
- The electric sound at full throttle is louder than expected.
- Regenerative braking is very useful.
- Regarding phone-key, it'd be great if the car locks sooner when I walk away though.
- Although A5 also looks nice and drives smoothly, I'm not sure if I have any motivations to drive it now that I got used to MS. A5's interior looks ancient now... oh wow I really didn't expect to see such a big diff.

Feel free to ask any questions. I know lots of folks here have been answering questions and providing support; now it's my turn to give back.

Hi guys, new to the thread but have been keeping my eye on it for a few weeks now. Figured I’d share my current status (for whatever that’s worth!). On 10/17/21 I ordered a MS LR Red/ Cream/ 19” reservation RN1158. Said EDD of June on the website when I ordered, moved to 3/8-4/5 for a while in the app, said “June” for a few days this week, and now says 4/3-4/30 this morning. I’m as excited as you guys checking several times per day. I’m in NJ and going to utilize the Paramus SC for delivery. Drove by the other day and still a lot of construction, but looks like they are making progress. I know they are only doing deliveries right now, any idea when they are expecting to open for service again? They are closer to me then Springfield. And for the record, my first car wasn’t nearly as cool as you guys… it was a real POS. ‘91 cavalier with with of steering wheel bitten off (someone had a bad day a few owners prior, I guess?), a wobbling headlight abs typical GM headliner that was falling down. :) Happy Thursday boys!
Just an update on my RN1158... EDD was just updated to 03/18-03/31. And yes, I keep checking at least 10 times per day.

Just got a VIN
VIN Assigned.. NF467. August order - pre final price hike. NY.
Red/White/19 No FSD.
EDD last night was March 19 - March 31st.

Probably going to decline the VIN as they simply reached out of the blue today and want me to pick up the car within the next 3 days (someone declined delivery so I was next in line I guess). Too soon for me as I was hoping for my March EDD to potentially have the updated lights. Don't hate me for being optimistic.. haha.
Different color but mine was also out of the blue today. Was slated for end of March and then boom today I had a VIN. I noped right the hell out of there.

Im still amazed (but then again, note really) at the call yesterday. Gotta give it to Elon, when he doubles down, he doubles down. (L4 will happen before end of 2022 AND FSD will exceed capablities

Yep. And the main selling point of the yoke was "it doesnt block the instrument cluster like the round wheel does." Which gave the impression that the cluster had somehow moved position on the refresh, since literally NO ONE complained about the steering wheel blocking the cluster before.

So now we get to see a round wheel installed in a refresh and the wheel is in no way..blocking..the cluster. And at low tight turns/speeds, it works better than the yoke. So now Im really trying to understand where is the benefit of the yoke, in a car with no variable steering? Or is the "benefit" that its simply different?
Wait, what? In the still of the video you can actually see it block not only the cluster, but the center screen. Am I missing something here?

Cross posted from LR Thread....

I'm going to release my VIN tommorow and put it on hold for 5 months.

Car is finished, on a trailer, and will be in Camarillo Sat or Sunday.

Sales can reassign possibly if you have an existing order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220127-162910.png
    Screenshot_20220127-162910.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 91
Haven't had much (okay...any) interaction with the new UI to address this specifically, but I currently have trouble seeing my speed, the speed limit that the car sees, and the center cluster navigation. I think it will be great to not have to look overunderaround the steering wheel to see that information. Who knows? I may love the visibility but other shortcomings may balance it out. Either way, looking forward to giving it a try.