Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without hands on the LR we have no way to know what the differences are ... again ... terrible communication from Tesla on what's up ... the LR will be tuned biased for range ... and we're still not sure what motors the LR is getting ... could be induction in the rear ...

There's just no way a dual motor is going to give you the same visceral feel as a tri-motor ... all that torque in the back ... Personally, I want to experience the apex of what Tesla is offering :cool:

It was stated by Tesla that the LR will be getting PM rotors in front and back.
Long Range: Plaid Front and rear motor AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, liquidcooled, with variable frequency drive
Plaid: AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, carbon-fiber-wrapped rotor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive (2x motors in the rear)

The transmissions are also beefed up for the Plaid:
Long Range Front transmission Single speed fixed gear, 7.558:1; Rear transmission Single speed fixed gear, 9.034:1
Plaid: Front Single speed fixed gear, 7.5:1. Enhanced lubrication; Rear Independent single speed fixed gear, 7.5:1. Dry sump lubrication

Anyone that thinks performance will be anywhere the same between the LR and Plaid was with Elon on April 20th. I have no problem stating that there is a huge difference. Just not of that value to me personally.

Last edited:
It was stated by Tesla that the LR will be getting PM rotors in front and back.

Anyone that thinks performance will be anywhere the same between the LR and Plaid was with Elon on April 20th. I have no problem stating that there is a huge difference. Just not of that value to me personally.

As someone who drove their Model 3 in "Chill" mode 95% of the time, samesies. "Chill" mode still had some kick (faster than say, a 3 series) but it was (anecdotally) a lot more efficient. One thing people struggle to get used to is the initial kick of the torque and acceleration even when pushing gently on the accelerator, well chill mode evens that out a lot and makes the driving more smooth for everyday tasks as well. There's a lot of energy wasted in that initial kick IF you don't want to be going fast.

#ChillModeForTheWin

It's Mad Max around here on the interstate, you'll get run over. I consider any extra performance a safety feature to be honest. Drivers are either looking down at their phones drifting into your lane or just being jackasses crossing 3 lanes with no turn signals and ending up 1 foot behind the car in front of them (at 90mph) and just staying there like somehow that's going to turn out okay if there's an issue 3 cars ahead.

Last edited:
Basically, if you order MSM, Black or Blue with all black interior you have a very high chance of getting delivery in June. Because literally every car in the drone videos is one of the above mentioned colors. White and Red exterior and all white interior with both CF or Wood are screwed and will have to wait until August. I had June 21-30 as delivery date which switched to June for a couple of days but disappeared a day before the event. Still blank. So difficult to time the sale of my current car. I don't know how people who have had orders since last year are dealing with it.

It's Mad Max around here on the interstate, you'll get run over. I consider any extra performance a safety feature to be honest. Drivers are either looking down at their phones drifting into your lane or just being jackasses crossing 3 lanes with no turn signals and ending up 1 foot behind the car in front of them (at 90mph) and just staying there like somehow that's going to turn out okay if there's an issue 3 cars ahead.
Especially right now where people have not been driving for over a year (and it shows)

Two posts in a row on topic? My exciting update of the day. X delivery = September.

S = blank. As always. I fully expect a VIN any day anyway.
Guap, what are the specifics on the X you ordered? I have one on order, in addition to an S Plaid. Mine has held to January since my order date. My S Plaid has said June since my order date. I think there was one date range one day, but "June" for every other page refresh. It's like the monkey doesn't even see my order. He doesn't know it exists....

Basically, if you order MSM, Black or Blue with all black interior you have a very high chance of getting delivery in June. Because literally every car in the drone videos is one of the above mentioned colors. White and Red exterior and all white interior with both CF or Wood are screwed and will have to wait until August. I had June 21-30 as delivery date which switched to June for a couple of days but disappeared a day before the event. Still blank. So difficult to time the sale of my current car. I don't know how people who have had orders since last year are dealing with it.

My June date has now disappeared as well.
I’m just gonna keep my mouth shut until I have a VIN.

Are you taking into account that the Plaid battery is 450 volts?

@AlanSubie4Life Someone pointed out that the manual states that the nominal voltage is 450 volts. (I checked and the old Model S manual states that the nominal voltage is 320 volts.) That means the max pack voltage of the Plaid Model S is more like 567 volts. So ~42% higher than the old Model S packs.

@AlanSubie4Life Someone pointed out that the manual states that the nominal voltage is 450 volts. (I checked and the old Model S manual states that the nominal voltage is 320 volts.) That means the max pack voltage of the Plaid Model S is more like 567 volts. So ~42% higher than the old Model S packs.
Trying desperately to discuss such things in the other thread (but replying here one more time too, just to be able to provide link below, as a reminder to others):
Model S Plaid Battery Details, sourced from EPA Docs, Vehicle Observations, & Supercharging/Charging data

My best guess is 500V max pack voltage for the new pack, and I thought we knew the prior pack was 400 (~403V, 96x4.2V)?

But in my reading of the manuals, there is so much slop on how Tesla specifies nominal voltage, the new pack could be higher (or lower) than 500V max.

A detail to be worked out.

Last edited:
So my SA called first thing this morning. Plaid being shipped by train. Set to arrive by train on 24th. She said trains are almost always on schedule! The issue is whether there are enough transporters available. So could be ready for pickup on 26th as told. Then I just looked and scheduled changed 23 to 29. I think it was 24 to 29 before. Told an email with a specific day and time slot would be coming within next 2 days.
what wheels did you order?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid