Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an estimate from the only electrician on the "recommended" list by Tesla that does work in my area. $2500. One of the reasons listed is that my electrical panel is full, and a second panel will need to be installed.

Looks like I need to get some quotes from some electricians not on Tesla's list.
Call and ask for a NEMA adapter and do not mention Tesla.

Just got an estimate from the only electrician on the "recommended" list by Tesla that does work in my area. $2500. One of the reasons listed is that my electrical panel is full, and a second panel will need to be installed.

Looks like I need to get some quotes from some electricians not on Tesla's list.
Got mine installed for about $700 from an electrician I trust who has done other work around my house. Definitely use someone that is not on Tesla's recommended list!

• Informative
Reactions: AnselmDante
Like the current Model S, XM is an add on that can be installed by a mobile tech or a service center.
XM has never been an add on that could be installed later on the Model S. It either came from the factory with it or it didn't. (The only sort of exception to this is if you got the Infotainment Upgrade, then you lose the XM you already had, unless you pay another $500 to get the FM/XM tuner replaced with a new one compatible with MCU2.)

Is it wrong for me to want a date on my LR order even though I know it's meaningless? I seriously need help :)
If this is your first Tesla ordering rodeo, let me help; there is no logic or reason for the way Tesla assigns these cars. You will drive yourself insane trying to figure best configuration that will help you to get the car sooner. It does not matter. Think of this like a lottery. Or waiting for Godot. Or an excuse to hang out with bunch of Tesla addicts (guilty). Just enjoy the ride (with yoke in your hand). Car will come but not when you think. I once had VIN and delivery date for MY, could not make the date due to business trip, they took away the VIN. Had to get some serious detox help. But I lived. And here we go again.

It's complicated :)
The Monroney sticker mentions XM specifically, but it is currently not an available source. There are suggestions is maybe be enabled via an OTA update. I'll post some console pics later today to the SmugMug library.
Are you up an adventure by opening a ticket to see what Tesla service says about XM not working when it is showing on your sticker?

@omarsultan -- did you get a separate email notifying you that the VIN was available, or were you just refreshing your account page 100x/day and it appeared?

Asking for a friend...
Your know, those are not mutually exclusive. :)

Actually, I knew I had a VIN because I got an email for final payment.

i wouldnt quote a Porsche GT4 a high end supercar but yes i saw the videos from the track. Question is how are experienced are the drivers of the Supercars which were on the Track.

Answer: it varies, but most of them have significant track time. One of the guys posts regularly about running his Senna and P1 there. I mean, CJ Wilson was there and he's raced and run a freaking Porsche 919 LeMans Car. Bruce Canepa was there, Jonny Liberman, etc. There were some people who know there business. Most, though, are just driving "fast".

But none of them are Randy Pobst. In a track modified Model S Plaid to boot..

I have a friend who has brought his Model S, Model 3 and now Taycan there, in addition to 911 GT3 (two) and GT3 Cup to several NorCal tracks including Laguna. His P100D (pre Raven) was absolutely terrible on the track. Wouldn't last a lap. The Model 3 was better from power, but absolutely toasted the brakes. Even upgraded brakes weren't great. And after about 5 laps, it cut power. His Taycan does not cut power until there's under 30% battery remaining. PCCB's means no brake fade, even at 5,000 lbs. But it's a MONSTER on the straights. He's arriving over 10 MPH faster than the GT3. But the GT3 smokes it through the corners. He has data, we have discussed extensively.

I would expect the Plaid to be a monster on track, when set up by someone who knows how. We're certainly entering a new dimension of the performance car. Rimac has just obliterated all the ICE records and most pundits are stating that that's the last time that ICE cars hold the records it took.

But on track, there's no substitute for lightness. And people will tell you, it's often times more fun to drive a slower, better handling car, at the limit than an high HP monster. AMG's were always known for all go, no turning. In a way that's what the plaid and other EV's remind me of now. Need to get the weight out. But it's coming.

Last edited:
Like the current Model S, XM is an add on that can be installed by a mobile tech or a service center.
I am not sure that is correct. Given it is explicitly mentioned on the Monroney sticker it implies the HW is already there. As I have noted before, the SW seems a bit unfinished and disjointed. I expect XM will become available as an option via OTA update.

For those that haven’t looked at the tracking sheet lately, we have 6 Plaid+ listed, 39 Plaid and 137 LRs in this group. Not surprisingly, most of the more recent orders are Plaid, given we know that will certainly get you to the front of the line as long as you don’t order CF or something else in short supply.

So roughly 5% of our group made the initial 25 cars delivered. Unfortunately too small a sample to infer what total Plaid orders are for Tesla. Simple extrapolation says about 500, but my gut says between 1,500-2,000. So 250 a week should get rid of most of that backlog by next month, probably earlier given supply issues on certain interiors and trims. But they will probably start sprinkling in some LRs anyway since we’ve seen them staged in various completions of builds.

Has anyone here with an LR gotten a VIN yet? I’ve seen people post June delivery dates, but given their usefulness to date VINs are a better indicator one is coming.

Answer: it varies, but most of them have significant track time. One of the guys posts regularly about running his Senna and P1 there.

But none of them are Randy Pobst. In a track modified Model S Plaid no doubt.

I have a friend who has brought his Model S, Model 3 and now Taycan there, in addition to 911 GT3 (two) and GT3 Cup to several NorCal tracks including Laguna. His P100D (pre Raven) was absolutely terrible on the track. Wouldn't last a lap. The Model 3 was better from power, but absolutely toasted the brakes. Even upgraded brakes weren't great. And after about 5 laps, it cut power. His Taycan does not cut power until there's under 30% battery remaining. PCCB's means no brake fade, even at 5,000 lbs. But it's a MONSTER on the straights. He's arriving over 10 MPH faster than the GT3. But the GT3 smokes it through the corners. He has data, we have discussed extensively.

I would expect the Plaid to be a monster on track, when set up by someone who knows how. But on track, there's no substitute for lightness.
agree but thats not a GT3 on the video its a GT4 Cayman
:)

Last edited: