Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol. Longtime lurker, but I just had to register to share what my SA replied to me when I asked about changing to 21’s:
“So far all of the Model S’s I’ve seen delivered have had the 21 inch wheels. I’ll honest though, even with the 19 inch wheels you should still get it before the end of the year! I don’t think it’ll be too long of a wait now!”

bruh. End of the year? It’s July. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t mean end of the model year, since from what I’ve seen Tesla doesn’t follow that. I guess if you’re gonna blow smoke, blow ALL of it.

btw - ordered march 5, 2021, RN 1145, R/B, FSD. First time Tesla buyer, may or may not be my last based on this BS...

Absolutely excellent points! My exact thoughts. It's actually kind of funny how people are comparing them as if it's just the one lowly motor that makes the 50k difference. In many cases on the street, the Plaid is actually faster than an F1 car, as it doesn't have to spin its wheels; it just goes!
It isn't about 'flexing', it's about the ability to beat the crap out of literally every supercar currently on the streets! If people really wanted to flex, they would buy a flashy supercar, not a family sedan!😎
While you're not wrong, I'd wager that most of us here couldn't give a crap about all that and would rather have the $50k :D

Alright folks, I have some interesting updates to share. After getting nowhere with the standard SA route, I activated my network and got some "insider" information. Here's what my contact told me:

1. Tesla has not produced any new S models with 19" in Q2 for "business reasons" (read, higher profit margin on the 21s to close the books as strongly as possible).

2. Red paint has been produced in small percentages relative to other colors, but carbon fiber is in very short supply (I think we already knew this, but still good to hear it confirmed).

3. Until you have a VIN assigned, don't pay any attention to the estimated dates on your account page, it really doesn't mean much. Getting a VIN assigned is much more likely to come with a narrow set of dates (e.g. 17-19 July) by which there's a much higher likelihood of sticking.

4. There is a production planning meeting happening tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have more information to share on Friday as to the status of my order, which is being "prioritized" (whatever this means).

That last one was interesting, and it sounds like SAs across the US are not kept abreast of the outcome of such meetings. My contact should be able to share some of the details late tomorrow.

cc @Drew-MS @2021plaid etc.

Alright folks, I have some interesting updates to share. After getting nowhere with the standard SA route, I activated my network and got some "insider" information. Here's what my contact told me:
1. Tesla has not produced any new S models with 19" in Q2 for "business reasons" (read, higher profit margin on the 21s to close the books as strongly as possible).

2. Red paint has been produced in small percentages relative to other colors, but carbon fiber is in very short supply (I think we already knew this, but still good to hear it confirmed).

3. Until you have a VIN assigned, don't pay any attention to the estimated dates on your account page, it really doesn't mean much. Getting a VIN assigned is much more likely to come with a narrow set of dates (e.g. 17-19 July) by which there's a much higher likelihood of sticking.

4. There is a production planning meeting happening tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have more information to share on Friday as to the status of my order, which is being "prioritized" (whatever this means).

That last one was interesting, and it sounds like SAs across the US are not kept abreast of the outcome of such meetings. My contact should be able to share some of the details late tomorrow.

please get status of my order too, if you can. 😀

I feel bad for all the people waiting who don't have a Tesla right now.

The wait for my MYP was awful. I was checking multiple times per day in hopes that something would change and every day felt like a week.

This time around it feels completely different and I'm not too concerned with when I receive my Model S Plaid. Ideally I'd like to receive it this month but if I have to wait until October or even January I'm cool with that too.

I have my doubts about (1). We are past EOQ and there are still problems with 19s. I can assure you there is some significant pressure on this issue which would be sufficient to overcome "business reasons". This leads me to believe there is an "actual reason" for not yet delivering 19s.

Of course I could be wrong and it would not be the first time I've been wrong.

The lack of 19s always smacked of a “business reason” for a variety of reasons. What, they forgot to order them, no. They changed the color of the aero cover at the last minute and needed to order new wheels? No, what were they going to do, trash the tens of thousands of original wheels?

Did you get any indication of when 19s might ship? They can’t hold off all Q3, probably don’t have enough orders for just that and at some point the risk of losing $80k-$130k sales units outweigh the incremental profit on Arachnids.

Hey guys. I know this is delivery thread but would love peoples opinion on PPF I am thinking about doing my new Plaid. Is it worth it?
Depends on how long you plan to keep your car. My car is at the shop right now getting XPEL Ultimate PPF, Ceramic Coating, 21” arachnids powder coated satin and window tint. To me, its a sunken cost and I will not recover any of it when I sell it in the future. If I am going to keep a car for 5 years or more, I feel its worth it, if I plan to own for less time, then probably not worth the expense.

What I do know, its its going to look beautiful for as long as I own the car.

I have my doubts about (1). We are past EOQ and there are still problems with 19s. I can assure you there is some significant pressure on this issue which would be sufficient to overcome "business reasons". This leads me to believe there is an "actual reason" for not yet delivering 19s.

Well we are only a week into Q3, if this persists thru July then I would agree with you that there is another problem. It if they magically start shipping soon, makes you wonder.

It's probably not the rims, but more the higher side wall tires that struggle to keep up with the forces. Just guessing.

Reactions: Blue Stuff

This is what I thought about DD and getting a VIN. If you got a VIN that means at least your car exists :D

Thank you for the info.

Reactions: HumanInput

Thanks for the details and looking forward to a potential update tomorrow evening.

Just got a random call from my SA to "touch base" and let me know I'm "in the home stretch" and the only thing that remains is to wait for a VIN to be assigned which should be "soon". He said my car would be delivered this quarter, so "by September". I appreciated the call but it was basically to give me a bunch of non information and no answers to any of my questions about the delay. I asked why another local guy took delivery in June from an order placed in June and why mine doesn't even have an estimated delivery date from an order way back in Nov (RN1141). He had no answer. Very frustrating... especially when I thought the random call from him was going to be good news about delivery date. The waiting continues....

While you're not wrong, I'd wager that most of us here couldn't give a crap about all that and would rather have the $50k :D
Absolutely true for most people. However, there is a certain group of people, to name a few: @AMGF, @TorqueMonster, @Drew-MS, @Aleks0404, etc..., that do give a crap about 'all that'. These members aren't buying the Plaid because it's 'the best of the best' or something like that; instead, they see the value of the marvel of engineering that is the Plaid Model S. I truly believe that the Plaid will be remembered as the car that changed the direction of the auto-industry with its advancements in motor technology. That alone makes it unique, along with the fact that it's the EV that finally smacks down ICE with its superior power curve. Now EVs can make both instant power and torque, AND keep that power up to top speed, w/o having any power loss due to a transmission! Nothing that an ICE can do can even come close! Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive than a LR, but look at what we are talking about here: we're talking about a car that is literally hypercar-beating, for 1/10 of the hypercar price! This is a monumental step in EVs people, and we will remember it!😎

(Nothing at all against the LR BTW, as I find it both amazing and awesome that the 'base' Model S has gotten this powerful, and this fast.)

Last edited:
Just got a random call from my SA to "touch base" and let me know I'm "in the home stretch" and the only thing that remains is to wait for a VIN to be assigned which should be "soon". He said my car would be delivered this quarter, so "by September". I appreciated the call but it was basically to give me a bunch of non information and no answers to any of my questions about the delay. I asked why another local guy took delivery in June from an order placed in June and why mine doesn't even have an estimated delivery date from an order way back in Nov (RN1141). He had no answer. Very frustrating... especially when I thought the random call from him was going to be good news about delivery date. The waiting continues....
Sounds more annoying than anything, for sure

Oh yeah dude it's like you're offroading over there. Stilled pulled 0.9 G which is pretty
Absolutely true for most people. However, there is a certain group of people, to name a few: @AMGF, @TorqueMonster, @Drew-MS, @Aleks0404, etc..., that do give a crap about 'all that'. These members aren't buying the Plaid because it's 'the best of the best' or something like that; instead, they see the value of the marvel of engineering that is the Plaid Model S. I truly believe that the Plaid will be remembered as the car that changed the direction of the auto-industry with its advancements in motor technology. That alone makes it unique, along with the fact that it's the EV that finally smacks down ICE with its superior power curve. Now EVs can make both instant power and torque, AND keep that power up to top speed, w/o having any power loss due to a transmission! Nothing that an ICE can do can even come close! Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive than a LR, but look what we are talking about here: we're talking about a car that is literally hypercar-beating, for 1/10 of the hypercar price! This is a monumental step in EVs, people, and we will remember it!😎

(Nothing at all against the LR BTW, as I find it both amazing and awesome that the 'base' Model S has gotten this powerful, and this fast.)
Well said that’s exactly why i am buying the Plaid and not The LR. This is the ultimate ICE beating machine i need to have. Life is short! We forgot to mention @sflgator as well 😎

Last edited: