Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you never speed? I live in Rhode Island. We are not allowed to tint our windows, we have to have front license plates, and you are not supposed to speed.

I plan to violate all of those things. I have gone over 30 years driving and have never hit a pedestrian. Unplugging that speaker is not going to hurt my odds.
I always knew you were a “rebel with a cause” !

Delivery Nightmare!

After over 9 months of waiting, today was the big day. I get a text an hour before appointment time with instructions on how to arrive there, make final payment, use my own pen to sign papers inside the car, and drop of the entire envelope in their drop box WITHOUT going in to their building (assuming covid rules here).

As I'm walking up to the car in front of their building, the VERY FIRST thing I notice from a distance is that there appears to be a small bit of white paint hanging down from underneath the front lip of the bumper. I crouch down to inspect and there is a small bit of white transport plastic still stuck underneath and a 2x2 area where the paint is completely gouged out/scraped off from what appears to be loading or unloading from the transport truck. Immediately disappointed. FYI you can't see it unless you crouch down low but no idea how they missed this. I saw it INSTANTLY without even trying.

I look over the rest of the car and it seems good but I can't get inside because I haven't made final payment or accepted delivery. I see 2 keycards in the car but no FOBs. I find a couple of tiny scratches and a tiny nick in one of the door handles and some transport tape residue still on the black outside door trim but the rest of the car looks great.

I had to get an employee from inside to open up the car for me to finish inspection. On this 436 VIN car they still have the worm on the wheel and the guy says every single car that has come in has it but he will note it and check on replacement. I didn't want to argue it much because it is so minor and wouldn't bother me but we all know we've seen at least a few that are perfect so it is definitely a defect.

As for the bumper, they immediately ordered a new one and hope to have it in by Monday if not sooner. They are going to see about the single door handle replacement as well.

Other notes:
I did NOT have a dash grill dent.
The Interior looks great except that the rear door interior panels are still misaligned like everyone else has shown and I'm doubting they can do anything about it until they design a new paenl. It's very minor in my opinion and I wouldn't have really noticed unless I was looking for it so I didn't even mention it.
Driver side mirror seems solid and not shaking like others have reported.
The only waves in the glass I noticed was in the rear window at the very bottom edges and closer to the corners. It's so minor that I didn't mention it and I'm betting most have it. I don't see it being an issue for me since it is just the very bottom edges near corners.

I had an appointment today to drop it off at a shop 4 miles from the dealership to get ppf, coatings and tint done. Thankfully they have been very accommodating and told me as soon as tesla fixes my car I can still drop it off to them and they'll take it immediately.

All in all today was a huge disappointment, especially after all the ordering/delivery date woes we have all dealt with. I wasted 2.5 hours of my day after a 45 minute drive one way. They did NOT have me make final payment and said I can do that as soon as it is all fixed. Wish me luck that I can get it next week! They claim there should not be any issue with color match on the new bumper. Side note: even new bumpers come with the license plate holder already attached :(

Dude. If you ordered black in January you are getting your order. But you have made your mind up, not worth my effort to change it. Did you ever go look at MarcG's two orders? I doubt it.
Remember, though, black order in January with 19” is still 8 months (at least). A July order plus 8 months is February. Not saying it’s right…

Delivery Nightmare!

After over 9 months of waiting, today was the big day. I get a text an hour before appointment time with instructions on how to arrive there, make final payment, use my own pen to sign papers inside the car, and drop of the entire envelope in their drop box WITHOUT going in to their building (assuming covid rules here).

As I'm walking up to the car in front of their building, the VERY FIRST thing I notice from a distance is that there appears to be a small bit of white paint hanging down from underneath the front lip of the bumper. I crouch down to inspect and there is a small bit of white transport plastic still stuck underneath and a 2x2 area where the paint is completely gouged out/scraped off from what appears to be loading or unloading from the transport truck. Immediately disappointed. FYI you can't see it unless you crouch down low but no idea how they missed this. I saw it INSTANTLY without even trying.

I look over the rest of the car and it seems good but I can't get inside because I haven't made final payment or accepted delivery. I see 2 keycards in the car but no FOBs. I find a couple of tiny scratches and a tiny nick in one of the door handles and some transport tape residue still on the black outside door trim but the rest of the car looks great.

I had to get an employee from inside to open up the car for me to finish inspection. On this 436 VIN car they still have the worm on the wheel and the guy says every single car that has come in has it but he will note it and check on replacement. I didn't want to argue it much because it is so minor and wouldn't bother me but we all know we've seen at least a few that are perfect so it is definitely a defect.

As for the bumper, they immediately ordered a new one and hope to have it in by Monday if not sooner. They are going to see about the single door handle replacement as well.

Other notes:
The Interior looks great except that the rear door interior panels are still misaligned like everyone else has shown and I'm doubting they can do anything about it until they design a new paenl. It's very minor in my opinion and I wouldn't have really noticed unless I was looking for it so I didn't even mention it.
The only waves in the glass I noticed was in the rear window at the very bottom edges and closer to the corners. It's so minor that I didn't mention it and I'm betting most have it. I don't see it being an issue for me since it is just the very bottom edges near corners.

I had an appointment today to drop it off at a shop 4 miles from the dealership to get ppf, coatings and tint done. Thankfully they have been very accommodating and told me as soon as tesla fixes my car I can still drop it off to them and they'll take it immediately.

All in all today was a huge disappointment, especially after all the ordering/delivery date woes we have all dealt with. I wasted 2.5 hours of my day after a 45 minute drive one way. They did NOT have me make final payment and said I can do that as soon as it is all fixed. Wish me luck that I can get it next week! They claim there should not be any issue with color match on the new bumper. Side note: even new bumpers come with the license plate holder already attached :(

Yeah, not great. And yes, all rear windows have the same distortion toward the bottom. I find it a little distracting, but not anywhere near as distracting as the random ripples I have in the front windshield, right in my line of sight. Not looking forward to my impending windshield replacement... Ugh. At least it might make it easier to swap out the speaker grille due to the dent!

Anyway, I hope they fix up your car quickly. It doesn't sound like anything is insurmountable, that's for sure.

I found that not asking for a specific SA gets me great results. My SA has never been available. After about the third attempt to reach him, I just started calling Tesla and speaking to whoever answered my call. Each of those interactions have been great. Just go through the menu options until you get to "new car purchase" option. All of those calls have been friendly and helpful. They emailed me my Monroney sticker, tracked my vehicle for me, and even corrected my payment method.
Good call out, I didn't realize that I could have an easy direct line of access. When I was going through this process in 2018 I remember not having much luck or having very long wait on hold when calling their support. Definitely will be using their pool fo SAs for any future inquiries. Not trying to bug them though, I'd rather have my SA in my graces trying to find me a match.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Okay, other question for those with a new LR or Plaid.... Where is that external noise maker speaker? How easy is it to "turn it the F off"? Software or good old manual method of "pulling the cord"? Volume control on the damn thing? I want to avoid waking people up at 4am! Looking for "incognito mode"!
In past vehicles it was behind the cover in the back of the front left wheel well.

Dude the facts speak for themselves. That’s just one that I see posted. I’m sure there are many more. You’d think tesla would have communicated if you wanted white interior you’ll wait 9 months. But if you’re okay with black interior you can pick it up in 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, and if you order with a price increase and black we can get it to you soon. But if you want to change your order to something you can get sooner you’ll have to pay the extra $10k anyway.

So yes, ultimately this is more about the $10k than it is prioritizing earlier orders.

My build is as base and "low profit" as it can get... Default white color and black interior. I ordered in December and got a Sept estimated date which if it holds, does seem like a "priority" in a sense to other dates people have been getting.

Nema 14-50 would be used with the mobile charger that comes with the vehicle. It is 32A max. The wall connector is hard wired to the electrical panel.
My point was anything that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 is limited to 40amps. If what you plug into the NEMA 14-50 is further limited, than it is. Plugging a wall connector into a NEMA 14-50 (I know, it's not necessary, but some still do this) results in a max of 40amps despite the connector's max with a 60amp breaker of 48amps.

Ok guys - Good or bad idea time

I take delivery TOMORROW of my Blue/Black Ebony 21 Plaid. I shamefully paid the Tesla $10K tax, and my man parts have shrunk. So -

I have a battery day reservation for a Blue/White CF 21 plaid, that’s $140K out the door including tax. Would it make any sense to take delivery of the car and scalp it for $150-155K, and hence recovering my Tesla tax? It has a EDD of Sept 11 - Sept 30, and I live in Silicon Valley which is a strong Tesla market.

Deep thoughts. Doesn’t seem like much risk, and I recover my Tesla tax, enabling me to recover my man parts.
Was thinking the same, but like @travwill said CA taxes are high so you'd need to up the price 15%-20% just to recoup from shrunken man parts. Will someone buy at that price? Hard to say, but it is possible…

RN 11517 Plaid/Black/White/CF/21 got it’s first EDD this AM

December 19 - January 08​

Ordered in June post 10k price hike.

M3P I ordered last evening has an Aug 28-Sep 07 EDD; will likely take that for a bit.
One positive is this is evidence they may not be prioritizing new higher priced orders over pre-existing orders. I have the same config except with red paint. Ordered Jan 28, EDD Nov 11 - Dec 1.

Still no car, one week since the last delivery date disaster, car paid, so Tesla has no incentive to fix the issues with the car and deliver. Emails to the Store Manager and anyone at Tesla remain unresponded. So my question to the folks here is, what are my next steps?

Delivery Nightmare!

Other notes:

The driver side mirror! I didn't see others mentioned but mine definitely shakes like crazy on highway... Gotta have that fixed too. I also noticed this on my Model Y as well but less severe.

The driver side mirror! I didn't see others mentioned but mine definitely shakes like crazy on highway... Gotta have that fixed too. I also noticed this on my Model Y as well but less severe.

They just replaced my driver mirror for the shake yesterday. This one does it too. Going back in a few minutes for them to look at it again.