Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a 6 months of tuning into the TMC Forum as a support group for the numerous EDD changes, I finally received a VIN and a delivery date. Assigned NF467 and scheduled a delivery on the 18th.

Coincidentally enough when I got my Model Y, my VIN was also assigned on a Saturday. I also been noticing quite a few other members getting VINs today. Will update on delivery day with some pics, issues discovered, and if rumored changes to the lights have been pushed out or not.

I know it's hard to find rhyme or reason to when you'll get your car. For me, coming in to the TMC forums once in a while to see VINs get assigned brings a glimmer of hope that you're a day closer to getting behind the yoke of a Model S.

Just curious what you are looking for in an answer.

I would like to know for those who had their refreshed S back months ago when it was rainy or humid if they suffered from the AC stink that some M3 and MYs exhibited. Some have described it as smelling like ketchup, vinegar, generally unpleasant. I have had two "cleanings' by mobile service in the past 18 months to counter that stink with my 2018 M3. No issues with my 2017 MS.

Or were you looking for other answers - data?

Cheers

Just wondering if anyone here had issues with the car heating their cabin. That mildew stuff was so disgusting and annoying. Glad to hear that fixed that. I figure Tesla will eventually fix all this *sugar*.

Reactions: impastu
The Y is not god awful, or even close to so. The vehicle heats and cools as expected and no strange smells. The Y has 15,000 miles and has experienced a variety of weather.

My Plaid also does not have any odd smells and heats/cools as expected.

I think I saw the Canadian agency had 16 reported issues. Or maybe that was in the US, I don’t recall. But it sounds like it’s a fairly small amount of vehicles that have issues.

You mean after rejecting two vehicles can they decide to not assign you a third. Probably, yes. Look at the details in your order agreement. (Terms vary depending on when you ordered.)
Thanks for the response. I rejected one VIN after delivery due to delay from needed repairs that they agreed were necessary, and then I requested postponing a second VIN that has not yet been delivered but has an asigned delivery date. The postponement is long enough to require reassigning the VIN if the service manager agrees. I ordered back in July. Does that mean Ive rejected two vehicles?

The Y is not god awful, or even close to so. The vehicle heats and cools as expected and no strange smells. The Y has 15,000 miles and has experienced a variety of weather.

My Plaid also does not have any odd smells and heats/cools as expected.

I think I saw the Canadian agency had 16 reported issues. Or maybe that was in the US, I don’t recall. But it sounds like it’s a fairly small amount of vehicles that have issues.

There's something like 10,000+ posts on it here alone. IDK if all of those are negative comments but they range from loud noises to the pumps having to be rebuilt to seals being replaced to failure to heat the cabin (blowing cold air). I highly doubt this is some one-off issue for a dozen people. I don't know (nor would Tesla ever tell us) that it impacts everyone, but 5 minutes of Google searching shows it is safe to say that it's common enough for Elon to have had to address and tweet about it on a Saturday evening. Of course, the NHTSA also is inquiring about it, but everyone thinks there's some large conspiracy against Tesla which may be partially correct* But Elon tweeting about it (and others pestering him a ton about it) is enough to say it is a big problem.

Either way - we should all hope it gets addressed whether 16 reported issues or 16,000. And the old Model 3/Y HVAC system smelt like ass. I can personally confirm and so can most who bought one for the pre-2021 model years lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: neadams99
There's something like 10,000+ posts on it here alone. IDK if all of those are negative comments but they range from loud noises to the pumps having to be rebuilt to seals being replaced to failure to heat the cabin (blowing cold air). I highly doubt this is some one-off issue for a dozen people. I don't know (nor would Tesla ever tell us) that it impacts everyone, but 5 minutes of Google searching shows it is safe to say that it's common enough for Elon to have had to address and tweet about it on a Saturday evening. Of course, the NHTSA also is inquiring about it, but everyone thinks there's some large conspiracy against Tesla though to the contrary, it has always seemed their points have been valid (for example, playing video games while driving).

Either way - we should all hope it gets addressed whether 16 reported issues or 16,000. And the old Model 3/Y HVAC system smelt like ass. I can personally confirm and so can most who bought one for the pre-2021 model years lol.
So then Tesla did address it. Maybe not to a timeline that suits all, but they did. Makes me wonder why would you bother with a Tesla? There’s plenty of other brands and even some other decent EV’s now, there are choices.

And there are plenty of other brands on the NHSTB website with plenty of issues. But they are not all considered god awful. In fact many of them are well respected brands.

Thanks for the response. I rejected one VIN after delivery due to delay from needed repairs that they agreed were necessary, and then I requested postponing a second VIN that has not yet been delivered but has an asigned delivery date. The postponement is long enough to require reassigning the VIN if the service manager agrees. I ordered back in July. Does that mean Ive rejected two vehicles?

Since you said that you had scheduled delivery of the 2nd VIN, I would say that yes it counts as rejecting two vehicles.

But more to the problem is that I think the order agreement in July has a condition in it that you have to take delivery within 90 days of the order date, unless the delay is caused by Tesla. If you reject the January delivery, that you had approved, you would be violating that term of the order agreement, so they could cancel your order. (And keep the order fee.)

So then Tesla did address it. Maybe not to a timeline that suits all, but they did. Makes me wonder why would you bother with a Tesla? There’s plenty of other brands and even some other decent EV’s now, there are choices.

And there are plenty of other brands on the NHSTB website with plenty of issues. But they are not all considered god awful. In fact many of them are well respected brands.

What do you mean? It hasn't been addressed as we are speaking. They pushed out an OTA and the few that have it have reported it made no difference. Others (including fan boys) are speculating it's probably a hardware issue and hopefully Tesla can do something to impacted components without a massive recall.

I also have no idea what your comment about choosing another brand is about. That sounds like "you made negative remarks on clearly negative things, therefore you hate the company"... no, I just get annoyed with critical components like a HEAT PUMP that is needed to properly heat cabins in the middle of the winter fail not just for one season, but it takes an entire year for Tesla to do jack *sugar* about it, in the middle of winter. It makes me question whether or not it's the right move if you can't trust the reliability of these cars (not to mention basically every single person on here has had their Model S in the shop for a few weeks at least).

I question why this *sugar* wasn't addressed last year when many people reported issues.

To your point, yes there are competitors and yes I have a reservation for most of them. Ironically enough, a Tesla is the easiest to get right now lol.

For the record, I have and have had reservations for:

Kia EV6 (estimated Marchish)
Hyundai Ioniq 5 (estimated March - April)
BMW i4 (estimated May-June)
Rivian R1T (estimated H1 2023)
Audi Q4 Etron (estimated April - May)

Probably, quite literally the first one to get here will be the car I go with. Sadly I've driven none of these damn cars and only the Model S for 5 minutes. So sort of hard to pick one. Not to mention dealers selling above MSRP only. Pros and cons to all of them.

My *hope* was Tesla would iron the kinks out of the Model S, which there are plenty, as reported by members here and from those Ive seen in person recently. Then you have the Model Y coming from Texas. Maybe that factory has better quality products coming out of it? Then I'd be interested. You can see the conundrum. I like Tesla, but they need to do a lot better. From communication to customer service to quality. They get wayyy too much credit imo. Every single time there's a valid concern or issue brought up, the fan boys rush to defend and protect them. That doesnt help anyone at all, including Tesla who will need to step the game up here pretty damn soon.

Last edited:
After a 6 months of tuning into the TMC Forum as a support group for the numerous EDD changes, I finally received a VIN and a delivery date. Assigned NF467 and scheduled a delivery on the 18th.

Coincidentally enough when I got my Model Y, my VIN was also assigned on a Saturday. I also been noticing quite a few other members getting VINs today. Will update on delivery day with some pics, issues discovered, and if rumored changes to the lights have been pushed out or not.

I know it's hard to find rhyme or reason to when you'll get your car. For me, coming in to the TMC forums once in a while to see VINs get assigned brings a glimmer of hope that you're a day closer to getting behind the yoke of a Model S.
In really glad you're getting your car. I know how painful it is waiting, but forgive me for saying that it's posts like this one that make me loathe the Tesla buying process. That you ordered 6 months after me, got your VIN (days) after me (1/15 vs 1/6), yet are still getting a newer build than me (467 vs 464) and having it delivered before me (my first available date was 1/21 vs your 1/18), really sticks in my craw.

Sorry for the sour grapes. Enjoy the car in good health, my friend.

Since you said that you had scheduled delivery of the 2nd VIN, I would say that yes it counts as rejecting two vehicles.

But more to the problem is that I think the order agreement in July has a condition in it that you have to take delivery within 90 days of the order date, unless the delay is caused by Tesla. If you reject the January delivery, that you had approved, you would be violating that term of the order agreement, so they could cancel your order. (And keep the order fee.)
Good to know. I think I am confused about reading in one forum or other that Tesla typically allows rejection of up to two VINS before they bring up the cancel clause.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What do you mean? It hasn't been addressed as we are speaking. They pushed out an OTA and the few that have it have reported it made no difference. Others (including fan boys) are speculating it's probably a hardware issue and hopefully Tesla can do something to impacted components without a massive recall.

I also have no idea what your comment about choosing another brand is about. That sounds like "you made negative remarks on clearly negative things, therefore you hate the company"... no, I just get annoyed with critical components like a HEAT PUMP that is needed to properly heat cabins in the middle of the winter fail not just for one season, but it takes an entire year for Tesla to do jack *sugar* about it, in the middle of winter. It makes me question whether or not it's the right move if you can't trust the reliability of these cars (not to mention basically every single person on here has had their Model S in the shop for a few weeks at least).

I question why this *sugar* wasn't addressed last year when many people reported issues.

To your point, yes there are competitors and yes I have a reservation for most of them. Ironically enough, a Tesla is the easiest to get right now lol.

Probably, quite literally the first one to get here will be the car I go with. Sadly I've driven none of these damn cars and only the Model S for 5 minutes. So sort of hard to pick one. Not to mention dealers selling above MSRP only. Pros and cons to all of them.

My *hope* was Tesla would iron the kinks out of the Model S, which there are plenty, as reported by members here and from those Ive seen in person recently. Then you have the Model Y coming from Texas. Maybe that factory has better quality products coming out of it? Then I'd be interested. You can see the conundrum. I like Tesla, but they need to do a lot better. From communication to customer service to quality. They get wayyy too much credit imo. Every single time there's a valid concern or issue brought up, the fan boys rush to defend and protect them. That doesnt help anyone at all, including Tesla who will need to step the game up here pretty damn soon.
Thank you for looking out for and protecting the universe from Tesla flaws and fanboys.

I was referring to the Y and 3 being fixed in regards to the heat pump. That appears to have been addressed.

My comment on having options was simply to question why you would want a Tesla after reading many of your posts showing you are disenfranchised with the brand? But you‘ve clarified that you have others on order and you’ll go with what arrives. I hope whatever you do go with meets your expectations. I would be surprised if you were able to enjoy a trouble free vehicle, regardless of brand. But that’s just my own experience creeping into my commentary. I’m yet to find a brand that has no issues, and I have tried my fair share. By issues I’m including issues that should be easily fixed or would be considered not acceptable to have failed to begin with.

I guess I just don’t understand why someone would believe the leader of the company is dishonest, the quality of the vehicles is subpar, and the service dept incompetent, yet purchase (another) one. Again, regardless of what you end up with I hope it meets your expectations.

My Plaid has not spent weeks in the shop, so you can count me in the other category. It’s not been perfect, it needed the console door fixed. And I’ve been slow on
updates at times. 13,500 miles.

My Y, other than the original heater issue, has been perfect. That took 3 days to repair, a timeline I find acceptable. They gave us an S as a loaner. 15,000 miles.

My previous ‘21 pre-refresh LR, no issues at 10,000 miLes.

For me personally, Tesla has been one of the more reliable brands I’ve experienced.

Just wondering if anyone here had issues with the car heating their cabin. That mildew stuff was so disgusting and annoying. Glad to hear that fixed that. I figure Tesla will eventually fix all this *sugar*.
My LR HVAC system has been flawless. Right now It is 0 F / -17 C outside and tons of heat. Right now, the cabin preheat is the best feature in the car. I have received three minor SW updates in two weeks which I believe are related to the heat pump operation. Aside from a couple of issues that the SC were great in resolving, I have no complaints.

I was assigned a VIN last week with delivery slated for end of January and I accepted the delivery date. I now have a conflict with that timeframe and won’t be able to take any deliveries over the next 30 days. I called main Tesla number requesting delay for a new VIN and they said that the service manager at my local dealer will have to get back to me as to whether or not I would lose the order entirely. I did have a previous VIN delivered but it had several issues that the dealer tried to correct and it kept getting drawn out so I ultimately rejected that car after a supposed 2 to 3 day fix was turning into 2 to 3 weeks. After rejecting only that one vehicle, does the local sales manager have the power to decide whether I can get a second new VIN assigned at this point? I had not heard of that before. In summary I rejected one previous delivery and I’m now seeking to reject a pending delivery but stuck on waiting to hear from local sales manager for approval. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Model S LR
Depending upon how great your original pricing is, I'd consider having them deliver it to your home, or having someone else pick it up on your behalf. IIRC, wasn't the original pricing some $15k LESS than what it is now?

Surely they could do a Facetime or Zoom video for you to see if it's acceptable?

Good luck!

Depending upon how great your original pricing is, I'd consider having them deliver it to your home, or having someone else pick it up on your behalf. IIRC, wasn't the original pricing some $15k LESS than what it is now?

Surely they could do a Facetime or Zoom video for you to see if it's acceptable?

Good luck!

To save someone $15k I’d do that for someone here for free in LA! I couldn’t imagine getting stuck not being able take delivery after all this wait while also knowing the next one with be $15k base higher + extra taxes.

This forum really is group therapy it’s hilarious. I’ve been lurking since June when I wanted to originally order but couldn’t since EDDs at that time were September. Damn lawyers telling me I can’t!

Have there been any confirmed customer Model S’ with the new headlights? I know non in the US/Europe. Personally doesn’t bother me too much taking delivery without the update, but it is nice having something new to look forward to.

I was referring to the Y and 3 being fixed in regards to the heat pump. That appears to have been addressed.

My comment on having options was simply to question why you would want a Tesla after reading many of your posts showing you are disenfranchised with the brand? But you‘ve clarified that you have others on order and you’ll go with what arrives. I hope whatever you do go with meets your expectations. I would be surprised if you were able to enjoy a trouble free vehicle, regardless of brand. But that’s just my own experience creeping into my commentary. I’m yet to find a brand that has no issues, and I have tried my fair share. By issues I’m including issues that should be easily fixed or would be considered not acceptable to have failed to begin with.

I guess I just don’t understand why someone would believe the leader of the company is dishonest, the quality of the vehicles is subpar, and the service dept incompetent, yet purchase (another) one. Again, regardless of what you end up with I hope it meets your expectations.

My Plaid has not spent weeks in the shop, so you can count me in the other category. It’s not been perfect, it needed the console door fixed. And I’ve been slow on
updates at times. 13,500 miles.

My Y, other than the original heater issue, has been perfect. That took 3 days to repair, a timeline I find acceptable. They gave us an S as a loaner. 15,000 miles.

My previous ‘21 pre-refresh LR, no issues at 10,000 miLes.

For me personally, Tesla has been one of the more reliable brands I’ve experienced.

I wrote a long retort but decided screw it. All I can summarize to say is, Teslas are the most fun to drive cars to own, when they work. But they are also often unreliable and have very suspect build quality.

My Tesla was very reliable to drive, but was not built well with good parts. Tesla customer surveys don't lie for both the good (highest satisfaction) and bad (second lowest reliability). That's the Tesla conundrum.

There are loads of pros and cons for buying an EV from another company, the answer isn't as clear as you think that's all I'm saying here. I know because I have owned cars from both.

I love Tesla, but I also hate Tesla. Probably Stockholm Syndrome tbh.

Last edited: