Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I take delivery of my model s tomorrow so I have been more aggressively combing through the forums to learn as much as I can, one thing has stood out though: I couldn't help but notice the high volume of posts with nightmarish stories. From autopilot parking crashes and spontaneous acceleration, to service center woes, it honestly makes me a tad nervous. Part of me wants to believe it is negativity bias, where people are more likely to post negative experiences then they are positive ones, but one can only see so many autopark crashes and read so many glitch and "pull over immediately" posts before the brain gets to worrying. My real concern is that I live 243 miles from the closest service center, so any small issue could be a big old pain in the rear. Any others out there who live far from a center care to share experiences, or positive ones in general? Thanks everyone!

I believe your theory on negativity bias is correct. Regarding your distance from a service Centre, I find that I prioritize issues as they come up and decide how important things are to me. Then I try to lump several items into one sc visit whenever possible to increase efficiency (on my part and the Ranger). I am currently living with a couple of squeaks and rattles (very minor) that I notice from time to time. I could book an appointment for them but decided to wait until something important comes up - so now I've been waiting for a good reason to book an appointment for about 9 months as nothing new is wrong. Very reliable car in my opinion but service isn't as easy as it was with my BMW. Then again, my BMW was never this much fun!

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
This is true on any internet forum for any car, or anything else. People post problems but don't post " everything is fine", ever.

Honestly, analyze what topics you, yourself click on in the forums -- aren't you more likely to read a topic about AP problems than one about how easy a road trip is using it? Are you perceiving a bias in postings, when some of the bias is in your selection of topics to read?

This is true on any internet forum for any car, or anything else. People post problems but don't post " everything is fine", ever.

Honestly, analyze what topics you, yourself click on in the forums -- aren't you more likely to read a topic about AP problems than one about how easy a road trip is using it? Are you perceiving a bias in postings, when some of the bias is in your selection of topics to read?

True, but it's a little hard to ignore when the first page this morning on the model s forums contains 8 separate issue threads. Starting with the gym crash down to the auto park issue, which contains a link to another auto park crash.

Because of Tesla is pushing the envelope on technology and performance in this car, there is a much higher standard that it is held to. If it was national news every time an ICE car crashed into a building or hit a parked car that's all we would see. Every imperfection is going to be well documented on a site like this. You also have some people that have a bias against Tesla and their mission and use forums to "spread" their word.

You will love this car if you keep these two things in mind:
1 - The automation tech is new, and you should always be alert and ready to take over when needed. Most of the crash reports are because of driver error (including not paying attention).
2 - Tesla is continuously innovating, so be accepting of some small software issues especially as they roll out large updates like 8.0.

All news outlets have a negativity bias, since "workin' just fine!" isn't exactly "news".
That said, I don't know how you could read these forums (the actual posts, not just a few headlines) and not come away
with the clear impression that, overwhelmingly, Tesla owners love their cars. Since you are apparently concerned about
feeling buyer's remorse, I suggest you comb through this site looking for people expressing regret over their choice of a Tesla.
You'd better budget quite a bit of time for that, though, since it's gonna be a long search.

Typical "negative" post: "My Tesla ran over my dog while summoning. Then it ran over my replacement dog while auto-parking.
Then I got a ticket 'cause AP misread the Route 135 sign as a speed limit. That was on my way to the Tesla store, where I decided
to order a P100D rather than the wimpy P90DL I had been planning on. That should hold me over until the two M3s I've ordered show
up." ;)

True, but it's a little hard to ignore when the first page this morning on the model s forums contains 8 separate issue threads. Starting with the gym crash down to the auto park issue, which contains a link to another auto park crash.
the gym crash was operator error, the fact that it was a tesla that crashed is irrelevant, it happens all the time in all kinds of cars.
the complaints on the autopark are valid, it just doesn't work all that well. to me that is a very minor problem.
my advice is to view the AP system as an interactive system, it isn't a set and forget system, you need to be constantly monitoring it and be very aware of it's limitations. this awareness will only happen after you get your feel for how the car reacts to various situations.
enjoy your car but keep in mind that a lot of the advancements are far from perfect.

Hi everyone! I take delivery of my model s tomorrow...

And I take delivery of mine later today, I too have been reading the forums (here and at Tesla), the same stuff you're seeing. What I observed was that when I started reading in August I felt a much favorable impression of the car and service than I have in the last week or so.

In any case I have two observations. First early Tesla cars had more problems than newer ones. The second is that people do tend to post from outrage rather than satisfaction. I tend to rant about problems more than giving praise. There are 140,000+ Tesla owners out there, and odds are some will have problems.

I hope you and I will have positive experiences, and we can post about them on this forum.

Since you are apparently concerned about
feeling buyer's remorse, I suggest you comb through this site looking for people expressing regret over their choice of a Tesla.
You'd better budget quite a bit of time for that, though, since it's gonna be a long search.

Typical "negative" post: "My Tesla ran over my dog while summoning. Then it ran over my replacement dog while auto-parking.

No buyers remorse here, just buyer concern, as I work a ton of long hours and spend a good bit of time on the road (why I bought a tesla) I just don't want to spend precious family time traveling 230+ miles one way to a service center because this goes wrong, then that goes wrong, when I could be enjoying time with my family.

Replacement dog = priceless

Hi everyone! I take delivery of my model s tomorrow so I have been more aggressively combing through the forums to learn as much as I can, one thing has stood out though: I couldn't help but notice the high volume of posts with nightmarish stories. From autopilot parking crashes and spontaneous acceleration, to service center woes, it honestly makes me a tad nervous. Part of me wants to believe it is negativity bias, where people are more likely to post negative experiences then they are positive ones, but one can only see so many autopark crashes and read so many glitch and "pull over immediately" posts before the brain gets to worrying. My real concern is that I live 243 miles from the closest service center, so any small issue could be a big old pain in the rear. Any others out there who live far from a center care to share experiences, or positive ones in general? Thanks everyone!

I look at it as an opportunity to learn from the experiences of others. I drive differently; monitor differently; know where to find information; etc., because of the "negative" experiences of others.

"I had a happy day motoring and talking to folks at the supercharger" doesn't help me as much as "pay close attention when the car auto parks or this will happen"!

All news outlets have a negativity bias, since "workin' just fine!" isn't exactly "news".

Then I got a ticket 'cause AP misread the Route 135 sign as a speed limit. That was on my way to the Tesla store, where I decided
to order a P100D rather than the wimpy P90DL I had been planning on. That should hold me over until the two M3s I've ordered show
up." ;)

@RogerHScott Great Scott! I'm Lester Pickin from Gee Force Records in Nashville (IN). We think you have a great idea for a C&W song. But could you maybe work in something about "prison" and "rain" and "momma" and "pick-up trucks"?o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Absolutely correct. A cognitive negativity bias has been confirmed as part of the human condition, first through scientific method, then more strongly corroborated through the Tesla forums.

In no particular order my experience has been:

- Amazing service
- Flawless vehicle deliver (though the waiting was brutal)
- Perfect fit and finish, with zero issues on the vehicle at and after pickup
- Autopilot has been life changing. It is not perfect, but if you spend time learning the system and its limitations, you will be much safer, have vast stress reduction during freeway traffic, and never want another vehicle that lacks this capability
- Enormous fun to drive
- Head turning looks (the car, not me... well, maybe both... that is, I look better in the car. Kind of like the automotive equivalent of the good looks that come when the observer has enjoyed a six pack of beer)
- I haven't been to a gas station in months!
- Updates are fun! A 'new' car every few months (come on V8!!!! where are you baby?)

To be fair, I have had no real issues, so I cannot attest to the quality of the break fix experience, which seems to vary wildly.

No buyers remorse here, just buyer concern, as I work a ton of long hours and spend a good bit of time on the road (why I bought a tesla) I just don't want to spend precious family time traveling 230+ miles one way to a service center because this goes wrong, then that goes wrong, when I could be enjoying time with my family.

Replacement dog = priceless

I only live 115 miles from service, but I've only been there once in the year I've owned my 90D. Rattle in the Pano, fixed in 15 min., good restaurant nearby. Since then, I've put on about 27,000 miles. Very dependable car unless you hit replacement dogs, I guess. Fast, quiet, roomy. I have had solar for a dozen years, so it's paid itself off, no electric bills, so I drive for free, no pollution. AP takes a lot of stress off the driver, especially stop and go traffic. And updates! I should get 8.0 any day now, so I'll have a brand new car again. And I didn't have to take it in to get updated.

I also have to say that some things can be fixed at local tire shops or body shops. I backed off from a tire block at a store, and the hold down rebar snagged the bumper and pulled it off of the under body. My local body shop put it on the rack and replaced 7 fasteners in a half hour and decided it was too small a job to bother with billing. We also have a local mechanic near me who works on anything, and I plan to use him for certain types of jobs. And many I can do myself, except there's not much to do.

I still feel it's the Best. Car. Ever.

- There is negativity bias in every auto forum I've every used. Same really for just about any product.
- As mentioned above the gym deal had nothing to do with it being a Tesla. We had someone do this in their brand new Equinox a couple of weeks ago here. Though a women's clothing store rather than a gym.
- People pushing the envelope a bit with advanced features encounter many more problems than those who don't.

Make sure to post back on this thread in a couple of weeks with your thoughts on your S.

Great photo btw.

I am also concerned about the time I might spend maintaining the Tesla I will get soon especially because I upped the anti by getting the over engineered Model X. But I figure if I can just half the amount of time I spend obsessing about Tesla on this forum o_O, I would come out ahead even if I have to go to the service center 100 miles away every month. Hmm, I am not sure that was very reassuring ...

If you live 243 miles from your nearest service center DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. That is my advice based on experience. DON'T DO IT.

Just remember that to people who haven't had all of these problems it is just "negativity bias" to the people who are having all of the problems it is very real.

There is a chance you will have a lot of problems and there is a chance you won't.

I, personally, would not want to live so far away from a service center as in my first 3 weeks I had to make 3 visits to the service center and it is frequently the case they do not stock the necessary parts.