Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will a ranger come 200+ miles to service a vehicle? Or are they from say my local Pittsburgh store that doesn't have a service center? Is there an obscene cost? Or is it reasonable?
The only real problem I've had was shortly after I purchased my Model S 3.5 years ago and was on a vacation a couple of months later. The main charger didn't work. Tesla flew a Ranger out and replaced the charger. The only driving time I actually lost was the two hours that it took him to do the swap. I'm now over 75K miles.

Meanwhile I had to take my wife's car to the Honda dealership (which is 5 or so miles away) today and they want to charge almost $1K to drop the engine and drill out a timing belt tensioner bolt that mysteriously broke. Almost $1K to replace a $10 bolt! I can't do it myself and I don't want to risk further damaging the car driving it around to comparison shop. THAT my friends is difficult.

Little update to my post: Honda concluded that the part failed because it was improperly installed by a previous dealer. Since dealerships are independent franchises, Honda basically wiped their hands clean of the situation and said "we have no control over the quality of repairs done at our franchises and will not help you to resolve any problems you have with that." Of course said previous dealership has now changed ownership and don't have access to the previous records so... too bad. Now I'm left paying more than $1K to have something replaced that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

I went through all that to point out that with Tesla being a direct seller and servicer, any work you have to have done should be covered by them. They don't have dealerships to hide behind/use to deflect blame. Obviously the hope is that you will never need any repairs, but if you do, that's something to keep in mind about how Tesla is different (and hopefully better).

Hi everyone! I take delivery of my model s tomorrow so I have been more aggressively combing through the forums to learn as much as I can, one thing has stood out though: I couldn't help but notice the high volume of posts with nightmarish stories. From autopilot parking crashes and spontaneous acceleration, to service center woes, it honestly makes me a tad nervous. Part of me wants to believe it is negativity bias, where people are more likely to post negative experiences then they are positive ones, but one can only see so many autopark crashes and read so many glitch and "pull over immediately" posts before the brain gets to worrying. My real concern is that I live 243 miles from the closest service center, so any small issue could be a big old pain in the rear. Any others out there who live far from a center care to share experiences, or positive ones in general? Thanks everyone!

Yes...at least it seems that way to me. I do a lot of head shaking when reading through these forums but there is also good info here. Btw I've had my Model S for a couple months now and everything has been working great in fact it's better than the day I bought it with the latest 8.0 update:). You're going to love your Tesla.

Reactions: fasteddie7
One other factor that has not been mentioned is that Tesla stock has been targeted by short sellers who have launched what is known as a "short and distort" campaign where they try to make money by pushing a.negative agenda in the press and social media to drive down the stock price. There are a large number of these "activist" Tesla short sellers who go to great lengths to promote negative stories about Tesla, regardless of their merit.

Unfortunately, quite a few of these individuals have joined TMC as members to spread their negative messages and try to run down the company and its vehicles. After the Model 3 launches successfully there may be fewer of this flavor of Tesla naysayer.

Last edited:
I guess maybe I've just gotten less irritated by things than I used to. I have one of the original Model S cars sans AP and I've been driving it for 3 years, every day. For my purposes, it's been great. I consider Software 8.0, while buggy and missing some features, a step in the right direction.

Having said that, when I bought the car I knew that I would probably be making some trips to the Service Center. I just consider that part of being an early adopter. All in all, it's been fairly painless compared to the joy of owning the car, and they've always fixed whatever it was on the spot or gave me a loaner. I expect we'll see some updates coming along soon that will add in some missing features or features that were removed. In the meantime, I'll leave my USB source in Shuffle Mode.

Last edited:
No buyers remorse here, just buyer concern, as I work a ton of long hours and spend a good bit of time on the road (why I bought a tesla) I just don't want to spend precious family time traveling 230+ miles one way to a service center because this goes wrong, then that goes wrong, when I could be enjoying time with my family.

Easy solution: Bring your family to the Service Center! I'm sure they will love your service visit thinly disguised as a Tesla Road Trip!

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
What evidence have you seen/heard to support this claim? Haven't they been saying "real soon now" for a while? I certainly
want it to be true, but...

This was reported in the Indianapolis Business Journal last week. The location will be in the Castleton Mall complex in a building formerly occupied by Golf Galaxy. It was confirmed by Tesla. The article quotes Seth Aichinger, the Indy service manager.

This was reported in the Indianapolis Business Journal last week. The location will be in the Castleton Mall complex in a building formerly occupied by Golf Galaxy. It was confirmed by Tesla. The article quotes Seth Aichinger, the Indy service manager.
That's great to hear. Do know if that means the current Zionsville pseudo-SC will close and, if so, how soon? I wonder if that has
anything to do with why it is taking them so long get hold of a not-very-exotic part for me? :(