Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Materiality is a concept or convention within auditing and accounting relating to the importance/significance of an amount, transaction, or discrepancy. - from Wikipedia

In my case, I have a tiny system. As a retiree, my income is so low that it took three years to write off the credit. The IRS would go back only three years to audit my return unless culpable negligence has been evidenced. In my case, it's not worth anyone's time to mess with for a claw back. Just my opinion, but any other poor folks should get some perspective before they fret about all this.

David

Yeah that's why the push from the GOP to combat Biden's "shadow army of IRS agents" was sad.

These potential new IRS agents were meant to go after high-earning super-wealthy that abuse the tax system and pay almost nothing. But of course the rich people just convinced the poor people that these IRS agents were going to come after someone for $3,000 of ill gotten tax credits.

Being said, getting audited is super annoying.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Idiots on social media: "Nooooo, democrats haven't moved to the left, it is Musk who is moving to the right!"

Meanwhile CNN asks Asian American mother: "What happened to the Democrats in the city, In your opinion?", the answer: "I think they have gone too extreme to the left. I think we need to get back to the basics and focus on making sure that the cities are safe, making sure we have high quality education. I know of folks that have traditionally voted Democrat that are now voting Republican because they do not feel that the democratic party is representing them."

As I said before, the longer you wait, the more Musk musings on twitter are proven to be correct, it's seriously uncanny.

For the record, I've been a longtime supporter of Tesla, a TSLA stockholder and someone with a credit score above 800. I went in to pick up my vehicle with my wife and what followed was an absolute nightmare and another Lyft ride home as Tesla prevented me from taking home my vehicle because of their unprofessionalism and slavish desire to have me take delivery before the end of the quarter so the company can make their numbers. Oddly this had nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle which turned out to be have no major flaws and looked to be very well assembled.

I received my VIN on 3/29 this week and was given only two options for delivery here in McLean, VA - either 3/30 and 3/31. I was approved for my bank loan through my credit union and had my down payment ready to go and all relevant information filled out in the Tesla app. My deep blue metallic model Y with white seats looked great and I was glad to see that it had been built in giga-Texas. Despite my fears about inconsistent build quality, the car checked out great and I was about to accept delivery (other than a small paint chip which the technician fixed with touchup paint and readjusted some rubber molding on the front passenger side). We thought we were good to go as we went to accept the vehicle. Then the administrative nightmare began.

Tesla asked us to present an image or copy of an image of my financing check from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Unfortunately, the check had been mailed to me and I didn't have it in hand yet but Tesla never told me to bring the check with me. They already had Pentagon Federal's information inside the app, the approval amount but again, they rushed me to take delivery and had they given me the option to pickup 3 or 4 days from now with the check in hand, I would have been able to accept the vehicle. Again, Pentagon Federal is a major lender in the DMV / DC area and they could have preempted this with a reminder to me knowing full well that PenFed doesn't provide these images of checks and only provides promissory notes / truth in lending statements. Instead, I wasted my time showing up for delivery and was denied the chance to take the vehicle home for something they could have prevented. I head home in another Lyft, with my wife assuming once the check arrives we'll head right back in and take delivery.

Like the Trump indictment - things really took a turn for the worse!

I get a call, a few minutes after getting in a Lyft and heading home from another woman at the same dealership who says that if I don't take delivery by tomorrow, I will lose the vehicle and it will go to another customer. She says they are unable to hold the vehicle for me at all beyond today 3/31 unless I can get a physical check from the credit union by Friday. Then she says the only way to take delivery of the vehicle is to finance with Tesla financing - (which links to other banks) and the lowest rate I would get would be 5.5% which is much higher than the 5% rate I qualified for through my credit Union. I told her to f#$## off literally. I was livid and blown away by their inability to put my needs before their needs and give me a few days to get the check. I still don't have the vehicle and now they're looking at a workaround for me but this has truly been one of the worst customer services experiences in my life with no remorse from their side, no apologies. I even had them speak to customer service over the phone at the credit union but to no avail.

The current situation, is that they're looking at a workaround for me to take delivery today but I don't have my hopes up. If I don't take delivery today with the workaround I will have to choose another vehicle that will come in in another batch. Quick public service announcement here for the uninitiated but Tesla doesn't care about you - their goal is take the vehicle that was assigned to me and make sure any other customer can take delivery of it today in order to make their numbers and mark it as delivered. If the workaround doesn't work I'm going to speak to an attorney ( though I don't have much of a case, have them send they Tyco road delivery center a letter detailing what happened). I worked so hard and hoped that all the negative things about Tesla wouldn't impact me or I would somehow be exempt from their unprofessionalism. Instead, I am a direct recipient of their sloppy approach, their awful culture and the lack of training of their staff.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
This RESTRICT Act really puzzles me, as the bill is so un-American that it is stranger than fiction.

At first it seems the Tik Tok part is a red herring to hide the RESTRICT Act.

But is the red herring actually the RESTRICT Act so that the Capitol Hill can play political theatre and collect brownie points from "saving the world"?

What's really at play here? It doesn't even pass a list of general human rights declarations.

Are they trying to make Rand Paul look like a saint? There are also some conspiracy theories:

Co-conspirators (who slipped in the text?):

Quesion: Is there a log that shows who put in/lobbied this part of the bill or did it come from Office365 Copilot autosuggestion?

Last edited:
I just got a new X financed through US Senate Federal Credit Union at 3.74% for 60 months, 4.24% for 72 month was also available (high credit score required - hurry before Biden imposes equity fee on car loans too - /s). Becoming a member of that union is easy and free - just need to apply for a free membership in some consumer council association.

If you're looking for financing - give these guys a try, becoming a member took a few days, but loan approval was instant.

P.S. April 27 build date - no matrix lights

Elon not really being the "champion of free speech" with Turkey.
A real champion would not cave and actually suspend Twitter for a day or two, instead of censor those against the government.

Hope at least he'll be transparent about it.
I can't fault Elon.
He is still the biggest supporter of free speech.
Less speech is better than none. Turkey presumably will be able to voice their opinions on Ukraine war etc. Just not portray Erdogan in a poor light etc. By giving into Erdogan he maximises the likelihood of returning to previous state post election.

The very act of him shining a light on this is calling out Erdogan and reminding us that this type of censorship remains the norm around the world. Something to fight for.

I don't see the issue. Elon said twitter would allow max free speech within the boundaries of the laws of the nations in which they operate, and thus if a nation has laws reducing free speech twitter would follow those laws in that nation.

It's a weird case of Elon doing exactly what he promised, and a bunch of mad people who didn't bother to read or understand what he had actually promised.

Reactions: DrGriz and JRP3
I don't see the issue. Elon said twitter would allow max free speech within the boundaries of the laws of the nations in which they operate, and thus if a nation has laws reducing free speech twitter would follow those laws in that nation.

It's a weird case of Elon doing exactly what he promised, and a bunch of mad people who didn't bother to read or understand what he had actually promised.

Reactions: Dave EV and JRP3
Thanks to Twitter, etc. Timothy McVeigh now has an army.

The disastrous change in our own time lies in the way the internet has enabled millions of such people to connect. One study for the Department of Homeland Security found social media was used in 90% of US extremist plots.

Toobin writes: “More than any other reason the internet accounts for the difference between McVeigh’s lonely crusade and the thousands who stormed the Capitol on January 6.” The terrorism expert Juliette Kayyem said the internet gave “white-supremacist terrorism … what amounts to a dating app online”. In Toobin’s words, when Donald Trump became president, “the wolf pack had a new leader”.

This week provided the most dramatic evidence yet of how completely the political-media establishment has been corrupted by organized hatred. CNN, a formally respectable organization, decided the best thing it could do was to give a national forum to the hero of millions of white supremacists. That decision alone drove home the urgency of the message of Toobin’s brilliant book

Status
Not open for further replies.