Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My general observations: 1) The NN seems unchanged. It sees what it sees. However, the IC now displays curves of the road more sharply. It reminds me a lot of how AP1 does it (straight and then hooks). It does it on the highway at speed too whereas 2018.12 wouldn't really curve the road much (it did slightly but not sharply). I don't really see a performance difference, this is just the eye candy.

2) Similarly, I'm seeing cars being represented differently. They are turning at angles more and pop up faster. More are appearing as I do lane changes and with more accurate lane positioning. The caveat is that I see a lot of matrixy cars (hopping between or within lanes). The few times i tested the system, it seemed to perform similarly despite displaying richer information. The matrix affect did not mean the system was confused.

Otherwise I don't see much difference. I hope someone with root access can chime in and let us know if anything has changed and whether the side repeater cams are ever going to be allowed to calibrate. I also can't help but wonder why almost 15 weeks have passed since the early release software had AP1 like car displays in the IC but that hasn't migrated to the general public...

Otherwise I don't see much difference. I hope someone with root access can chime in and let us know if anything has changed and whether the side repeater cams are ever going to be allowed to calibrate. I also can't help but wonder why almost 15 weeks have passed since the early release software had AP1 like car displays in the IC but that hasn't migrated to the general public...

@verygreen @BigD0g ? Any thoughts on this please? :)

My general observations: 1) The NN seems unchanged. It sees what it sees. However, the IC now displays curves of the road more sharply. It reminds me a lot of how AP1 does it (straight and then hooks). It does it on the highway at speed too whereas 2018.12 wouldn't really curve the road much (it did slightly but not sharply). I don't really see a performance difference, this is just the eye candy.

This is correct, the NN is unchanged. I also agree it is showing curves better, and trying to show cars within those cars, but still failing pretty badly at that. I also thing it's showing further out in the distance then before, and braking sooner for stopped cars. However, it's also swerving a lot more to me inside of intersections and such.

Side repeaters are still at 0%, I would assume one day they are going to calibrate, but what the heck do I know, they haven't calibrated in many months, so maybe Tesla is just teasing us for another three months maybe, but definitely six...

As for the IC, I really have no clue at all why they are not showing this, it's maddening to me, they have all the data, it's all on the can bus and they can clearly show it if they want to, why they choose not to is beyond me and makes no sense to me. You can see it here:

Lanes. It does not classify vehicle.

I'm not sure that's true, I think they are classifying vehicles, I believe they are simply not showing them to us for whatever Tesla wisdom that reveals. I have some thoughts on this, but need to dig around on this A LOT to figure out if I am right or not, but I don't have the time right now, things are crazy in the dog pound.

@jimmy_d Might have thoughts on this as well?

Last edited:
Oh, and one other comment, the entire earnings call with no mention at all about the CTC drive, to me is the biggest indication of the lack of real progress of the little things, the death on 101 I suspect set them back months, but just my thoughts, I have no knowledge either way.

I wouldn’t say set back but based off the renewed phantom braking complaints I strongly suspect the team’s focus changed from a gimmicky CTC drive to trying to avoid hitting objects.

I'm not sure that's true, I think they are classifying vehicles, I believe they are simply not showing them to us for whatever Tesla wisdom that reveals. I have some thoughts on this, but need to dig around on this A LOT to figure out if I am right or not, but I don't have the time right now, things are crazy in the dog pound.

@jimmy_d Might have thoughts on this as well?

I've been going through Mobileye's patents trying to see if they might have some IP in that area. Haven't found anything yet but there is a lot of material to read.

• Informative
Reactions: jimmy_d and BigD0g
Maybe. But I’d say it’s a setback hopefully with a safety advantage to existing customers. But maybe I’m being overly optimistic.

Let them actually make progress and we can be happy they are actually doing something beyond object recognition.

I hate to say it but bladerskb seemed to be right about Tesla being hapless regarding full self driving. There are many stages to develop and Tesla doesn't seem to have fully perfected the first: object detection and recognition and classification. Then it needs localization, and driving policy. HD maps are not present. Tesla is barely at parity with the functionality of AP1.