Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is every release followed by a bunch of "Mandela Effect" posts about new features???? Hey I just got 2018.XX and now the fonts are all different, or the screen seems brighter, or my mirrors now reflect better...

I am hereby naming this the Tesla Effect and going to have a whole YouTube channel about it.
It’s not unjustified. The major AP2 update 10.4 said nothing about AP2. The recent release notes do not bother to describe anything that’s not an explicit new feature.

Most of the changes being described do not appear to be placebo effect.

Reactions: croman
Why is every release followed by a bunch of "Mandela Effect" posts about new features???? Hey I just got 2018.XX and now the fonts are all different, or the screen seems brighter, or my mirrors now reflect better...

I am hereby naming this the Tesla Effect and going to have a whole YouTube channel about it.

Tesla's lack of accurate and complete release notes is to blame for this. As noted by @chillaban the 10.4 release notes and all since have not bothered to mention the major AP2 upgrades. Tesla even talked about it in their quarterly earnings release but they never bothered to write release notes about it. As someone in the software industry with a much smaller team, somehow we still manage to write release notes. I just don't get it.

On my drive home, I observed some things but I need more time to really evaluate any changes. If there are changes, they weren't major. Tracking seemed both more fluid and somehow more Matrixy. It was able to capture the angle of cars in intersections better. But I've only had 6 hours. I will prepare more detailed observations and report.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
Tesla's lack of accurate and complete release notes is to blame for this. As noted by @chillaban the 10.4 release notes and all since have not bothered to mention the major AP2 upgrades. Tesla even talked about it in their quarterly earnings release but they never bothered to write release notes about it. As someone in the software industry with a much smaller team, somehow we still manage to write release notes. I just don't get it.

It is now past perplexing and firmly into the arena of disturbing.

It took years of kvetching to just get them to add a simple, single line (such as what appears with every iOS app update that's not of particular visible consequence): "Bug fixes and minor performance enhancements".

Since it is often as valuable to understand what's *not* in a release as the converse.

Anyhoo... in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, and so I appreciate at least the release notes we *do* get every once in awhile.

Of larger concern is the haphazard release distribution process. When you've got 2 owners with the same cars (very similar configurations and build dates), and one is on *.10 or *.12 and the other gets every release 4-5 times in a row, that's a problem.

I've been primarily connected via LTE and not wifi, and often get releases before my wifi-connected brethren. Which you would think makes not a ton of sense either.

We shall call it the OTO of OTA updates. OTO being the Opacity of Tesla Ownership.

And so it goes.

Compared to 2018.12, I’m seeing slightly smoother approaches to stopped cars. Almost like distance estimation improved.

I am also seeing that driving around my parking garage, stopped/parked cars blink on and off the display much quicker. As if it’s recognizing them more reliably.

Meanwhile on the other hand:
I’m noticing it taking longer than before to allow Autosteer. It shows black lane lines for a bit longer compared to .12.

No change on the cars in front being displayed too far to the left when they are further away.

Will have more opinions after a longer drive this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I got 2018.18 yesterday after a visit to the service center. I started it upon getting home, plugged in the car and it seemed to crash shortly after. A message came up saying the center screen needed rebooting. It did finish and seems OK, but when I went out to the car today, the driver's window and the right rear window was down about an inch. It was strange. Did anyone else see anything like this?

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004

Well lack of complete release notes may contribute to this, but it is not to blame for conjecture about feature changes and performance differences that no one can accurately actually test. Things like AP starting more slowly, cars showing up more quickly on AP screen, etc. all are just conjecture without a back to back test possible. I just watched one of DAErik's video's yesterday where he tested one of the Tesla Effects "people are talking about" where the screen redraw on the main screen is faster after 2018.18 where he could test one car with the new release and one without and guess what? Nada.

Now there have been some significant unannounced updates such as 10.4 AP update, which was a major change, and the behavior of AP does seem to change with each release somewhat (again Tesla Effect for me as I cannot actually test it), but without back to back testing of new vs. old this is all just memory based improvements or Tesla Effects. P.S. I am also sure he said "Luke I am your father" ;)

Well, for whatever reason, my pattern seems to have turned into: You shall have no release until 500 ev-fw-ers get it first:
Last release I received was 2018.12, and all the ones since are still dribbling out... :D (I've had 6.1, 10.4, etc....).

At this rate for 18, forget it! :confused: And what we thought was a new, shiny 18.1 appears to have been some sort of test or bug fix or who knows what:

And, for release notes, for sure. We could all hope for 'Apollo' level release notes (for any users of the new(ish) iOS Reddit app). Christian has pages-long release notes that are to die for.

upload_2018-5-11_8-45-14.png

I agree with you. Sometimes I read these just shaking my head because it's so funny.