Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning the Nav on Autopilot threw a message, I forgot to turn on the cam so couldn't capture the message exactly. But it said something like: "The car is going to maneuver, need manual assistance" in the middle of the freeway because I missed an intersection ramp. That freaked me out!

It seems like the v9 can detect construction zone ...

This is welcome news, but at what speed? The answer should be relevant to the rather pained question of whether AP travelling at up to 90mph on the Highway can avoid smashing into stationary firetrucks (or other traffic jam) after a leading vehicle moves aside.

I'm eagerly waiting to see a dashcam video [with the IC blended in] of AP2.5 on v9 stopping smoothly in that situation, then continuing on seamlessly when the obstruction clears. If ever this legacy & potentially fatal weakness of AP is comprehensively eliminated, and demonstrated as such, then shall I venture to believe that FSD is even remotely possible given the current sensor suite.

However, this is probably not yet the case, as otherwise Tesla would surely have loudly changed the Owner's Manual at the spot where it defines Firetruck Super-Destruction mode:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.

... so anyone testing this in order to capture the happy video should do so with great care ...

This is welcome news, but at what speed? The answer should be relevant to the rather pained question of whether AP travelling at up to 90mph on the Highway can avoid smashing into stationary firetrucks (or other traffic jam) after a leading vehicle moves aside.

I'm eagerly waiting to see a dashcam video [with the IC blended in] of AP2.5 on v9 stopping smoothly in that situation, then continuing on seamlessly when the obstruction clears. If ever this legacy & potentially fatal weakness of AP is comprehensively eliminated, and demonstrated as such, then shall I venture to believe that FSD is even remotely possible given the current sensor suite.

However, this is probably not yet the case, as otherwise Tesla would surely have loudly changed the Owner's Manual at the spot where it defines Firetruck Super-Destruction mode:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.

... so anyone testing this in order to capture the happy video should do so with great care ...

Never remove a warning. Otherwise you are more on the hook when the 0.00001% event happens.
(Note: FSD of course will not get to have such warnings)

We'll concentrate on the ap2 cars:

Take the side panel on the right hand side out, disconnect white round connector cable from autopilot unit and plug into that cable yourself (it's ethernet in disguise) using a ready made cable or a pinout like this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/20140222_164339-jpg.44438/ (alternative - buy diag unlock token for your vin on the dark internet, sorry, no pointers, that would save you the trouble of taking the right side panel out - connect to the cable under the CID then).

give yourself ip 192.168.90.103 and connect to 192.168.90.100 port 25956 (use telnet)

at the prompt enter: "install http://someserver:someport/path/firmware.bin" - obviously replace the server/port and path to correct values on a server you control (always use the port even if it's 80 - e.g. use the url above or get your own server), then wait until transmission is done (monitor the transfer on the server side, the "this file is not served" error you would see is a distraction, ignore it) and quickly reconnect the white connector back at the autopilot. Wait until the yellow clock icon appears. Initiate install at your convenience.

pictures TBD.

@verygreen can you use this same procedure to downgrade back to V8 after being updated to V9 provided you have the V8 firmware file?

Anyone else see a bunch of large downloads recently? As far as I can tell they aren't firmware downloads unless Tesla switched to downloading them over VPN. Currently on 39.6.

Attachments

• D2388CB9-4B75-4714-BFDA-0960799F8E0D.png
    D2388CB9-4B75-4714-BFDA-0960799F8E0D.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 129
@verygreen can you use this same procedure to downgrade back to V8 after being updated to V9 provided you have the V8 firmware file?
it may or might not work depending on how old your v8.1 is. There's an internal versioning system and hopping between versions that have the same internal version should be ok. I never tried it myself, but 18.39.x to 18.36.2 should work, I think.

Anyone else see a bunch of large downloads recently? As far as I can tell they aren't firmware downloads unless Tesla switched to downloading them over VPN. Currently on 39.6.
That's about the size of the v9 download that we saw on cars which already had a 36.x version. Looks like yours keeps having issues and downloading it multiple times.

Otherwise, it could be the 5 GB maps download but my router showed that as one big download, not a bunch of smaller ones.

Got the new software 3 days ago but only drove the car the next 2 days. Drove the car and then parked it. When I came out of the business, the car seemed dead but the handles presented themselves. Center display black, seats didn't move, a/c out, nothing worked. Tried to reboot but the screen remained black. Did this 3 times and slowly things started coming back on. Took about 5 minutes before everything came back on. Scary. The next day I had the same thing happen at my house.

Any ideas what happened? Car powered off? Any special way to get it powered back up?

I've seen an 8.1GB download to my car two days ago. It's an AP2 MS running .34.1 in Germany. No update notification or map hint since.

I've previously experienced an unresponsive car with dark MCU and solved it by keeping the steering wheel dials depressed for about maybe 20s.
It will then come up as usual after a reboot.