Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry guys. It looks like a minor update. No change in the release notes.
I was on 50.3 previously so am getting a few changes that most people have had for a while (tyre pressure units etc).

Attachments

• 20180221_110515.jpg
    20180221_110515.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 566
  • 20180221_110534.jpg
    20180221_110534.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 494
One interesting point made by the service dude was that the last few updates have been significantly bigger in file size. He said that they used to need about 15 mins to transfer to the car over wifi in the SvC but recently they are between 1 and 2 hours.
He stated that since late December, the cars are now 'using' the 4 side cameras. By this, he clarified, the AP is now in ghost mode, not actively using them to influence the drive. When you brake, it checks if it wanted to brake. When you shift left in the lane, it checks if it would have done the same. etc etc. He said that he knows the cameras have just started being used as they had a flurry of service visits in January for cameras not working. They had in fact never worked but never needed to. There was even one where the cables were not plugged into the camera in the factory but had gone unnoticed until now as there were no calls for the camera to do anything. All that has changed now. Fingers crossed, this means that the learning will turn into doing in the near future.
I am aware this is not new news as this ghost mode has been discussed on here before but I thought I'd share how the service tech explained it to me. Sounds like progress to me.

Also on 50.3 here. As rather cold weather is predicted for the Netherlands, the new version would be welcome.

I was at the SvC for a meeting and asked them to push the latest version as I have not had an update since Christmas. They looked and saw that something was holding the car back on 50.3.
They did say that as of about 1 month ago, you can now ask the SvC to push the latest version to your car remotely. You no longer need to visit the SvC to get it pushed. If you suspect your car is stuck on an old version, consider calling them.
It's worth trying to get your car on WiFI as the recent updates are much bigger than normal.

You no longer need to visit the SvC to get it pushed. If you suspect your car is stuck on an old version, consider calling them.
It's worth trying to get your car on WiFI as the recent updates are much bigger than normal.
You could also do this before. Trouble is, please only do that if you've definitely missed at least one major rollout, as they have to be "manually" pushed, as in a service guy has to actively check your vehicle and then submit the push to the system. This can take a while, and now imagine every eager owner starting to call because somehow after a few days the most recent update didnt land on their car yet... service will break down entirely.
I've had the problem of stuck updates last year when from mid-August (2017.32) nothing new arrived until early November. It took them 3 days to push the update (2017.44; which broke my front US sensors).

On the subject of SeC people telling stories on new cameras being used, I'd love to hear a detailed account as to HOW people were starting to come in to have those cameras serviced. They would after all have had to get some sort of error or service message to come in for that very reason.

Tbh maybe that guy read verygreens account on how late-last-year firmware updates indicate those cameras are starting to calibrate on a wider base.

Of course, I hope he's right and well informed. I've just heard a lot of stuff from SeC people that was... inaccurate, to put it nicely.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
One interesting point made by the service dude was that the last few updates have been significantly bigger in file size. He said that they used to need about 15 mins to transfer to the car over wifi in the SvC but recently they are between 1 and 2 hours.
He stated that since late December, the cars are now 'using' the 4 side cameras. By this, he clarified, the AP is now in ghost mode, not actively using them to influence the drive. When you brake, it checks if it wanted to brake. When you shift left in the lane, it checks if it would have done the same. etc etc. He said that he knows the cameras have just started being used as they had a flurry of service visits in January for cameras not working. They had in fact never worked but never needed to. There was even one where the cables were not plugged into the camera in the factory but had gone unnoticed until now as there were no calls for the camera to do anything. All that has changed now. Fingers crossed, this means that the learning will turn into doing in the near future.
I am aware this is not new news as this ghost mode has been discussed on here before but I thought I'd share how the service tech explained it to me. Sounds like progress to me.
Makes perfect sense. I started to get very frequent cruise control disabled errors recently and the SC replaced the side repeater lamp assembly and no errors ever since.

Cruise Control Disabled?

On the subject of SeC people telling stories on new cameras being used, I'd love to hear a detailed account as to HOW people were starting to come in to have those cameras serviced. They would after all have had to get some sort of error or service message to come in for that very reason.
Probably "Drivers Assistance features unavailable" (AP and TACC). Due to components missing from the system, discovered by the system only after the update that activates these cameras.

What surprises me is that they didn't put in this hardware check from the beginning, even though the hardware is unused. I manage development of software in a company and I would certainly do that for exactly that reason. Imagine if all cars of 6 months Tesla production had fault on some cable to an unused camera and not discovered. That'd cost many million bucks to fix. I'd feel guilty if a few hours of software coding could've prevented that, and if it was my choice not to prioritize that :).

AP2.0 is clearly checking traffic in adjacent lanes before allowing a lane change nowadays.
Not quite sure when this was introduced, but now it will wait before allowing a lane change if there is a car near, sometimes it is too cautious but I guess this is only to be expected.
Also since the new maps, lane change no longer works on several sections of dual carriageway/divided highway where it used to work just fine.
Heading in the right direction but some glitches still.Certainly no sign of FSD features yet, but at least there is signs of smarter use of the tech, and there is now distance between AP2 and AP1 in some areas.

AP2.0 is clearly checking traffic in adjacent lanes before allowing a lane change nowadays.
Not quite sure when this was introduced, but now it will wait before allowing a lane change if there is a car near, sometimes it is too cautious but I guess this is only to be expected.
There are some videos out there showing when the ultrasonics detect an object, it will prevent a lane change. Been that way for a while. It doesn't seem like either side cam is used. But, personally I think there is also something going on with at least the forward looking camera(s). Because when I am coming up on a car in the adjacent lane and engage the blinker, it will show that car in the other lane in IC, and seems to use that as a decision factor for the lane change.

There are some videos out there showing when the ultrasonics detect an object, it will prevent a lane change. Been that way for a while. It doesn't seem like either side cam is used. But, personally I think there is also something going on with at least the forward looking camera(s). Because when I am coming up on a car in the adjacent lane and engage the blinker, it will show that car in the other lane in IC, and seems to use that as a decision factor for the lane change.
Yeah both of those behaviors have been there for a while.

If the rear ultrasonics detect a car during a lane change attempt, it actually will refuse the lane change until it sees a car pass in front of you at a ~45 degree angle. This is more frustrating than helpful, as if the person behind you reacts to your turn signal by letting you in (backing off), Auto Lane Change will never initiate the lane change.

And when turning on turn signals or moving suddenly between lanes, AP2 will show cars in adjacent lanes. It's as if it knows all the info that AP1 knows about cars in other lanes, except it's just not willing to show them.

Last edited:
Yeah, we've seen that since May 2017 when we got 17.17.4 which included side collision avoidance and the ability to show cars in adjacent lanes when turn signals are activated. We were on a roadtrip when we got the update and noticed the change from one day to the next.

So it boils down to whether the car has been previously tracked and assigned an identity. It remembers the car even if it's not displayed. I've played with alc in dense traffic and it will only not lane change for the 5 seconds after a car passes you in the target lane. The interloper car in the target lane must be visible by one front cam before it starts. It does a great job tracking both lead cars and shows cars in the new adjacent lane once it starts the lane change. I just wish it defaulted to displaying everything it knows so I can truly see what it thinks it knows.

So it boils down to whether the car has been previously tracked and assigned an identity. It remembers the car even if it's not displayed. I've played with alc in dense traffic and it will only not lane change for the 5 seconds after a car passes you in the target lane. The interloper car in the target lane must be visible by one front cam before it starts. It does a great job tracking both lead cars and shows cars in the new adjacent lane once it starts the lane change. I just wish it defaulted to displaying everything it knows so I can truly see what it thinks it knows.

Yeah, I'm really curious why they don't do this. It sure looks like AP2 can effectively track 2 to 3 cars ahead and their positions relative to your lane changes.