Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now hoping that I don't get 18.6.1 either because of sound/MCU reboot issues. Still on 2018.2 and its been one of the most stable releases I've had so far.

So far, we've had two out of three Teslas spontaneously reboot on 2018.6.1. One of them also had the Automatic Emergency Braking message for several miles.

Interesting thing this AM. Woke up and my car is charged to 93%. It’s never been above 80 except for one road trip when I set it to 100 to test road trip charging and sure didn’t change it recently. Only change has been 6.1.

We haven't seen any charges going over the set limit but have experienced two times (on the S100D and S75D) where charging did not take place as scheduled since upgrading to 2018.6.1.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
We haven't seen any charges going over the set limit but have experienced two times (on the S100D and S75D) where charging did not take place as scheduled since upgrading to 2018.6.1.
Hm, could be more bugs in the charging algo, of course. May need to start a separate thread on 2018.6.1 charging issues if this keeps on.... Very strange that the charging monitor just 'goes to lunch' when supposed to shut down and also skips being waken at scheduled charging times at night.

Hm, could be more bugs in the charging algo, of course. May need to start a separate thread on 2018.6.1 charging issues if this keeps on.... Very strange that the charging monitor just 'goes to lunch' when supposed to shut down and also skips being waken at scheduled charging times at night.
I just realized that I only charge the S90D during the day at work so that could be why we haven't seen any scheduled charging issues with it.

Pre-facelift AP1 90D, got this firmware tonight. First one I've gotten since 2017.50.2 (the Christmas easter egg one). Not much to report as I'm AP1. Remembering the heated steering wheel on/off state is nice right now as it's still cold around here.

AP1 is getting better. I have found AP1 to handle the same highway smoother. Or maybe I am aging to get used to my wife or my kids driving my cars. My hands seem redundant on the wheel now.

I just updated my 2017 S75 to 2018.6.1 last week. Since updating, I have had two scary experiences when approaching a stopped car at a red light while in autopilot. First at around 45 mph, autopilot would very lightly tap on the brakes for what felt like a microsecond. It did this three times off/on with no significant or even minor reduction in speed. I had to take over. The second time I was doing around 35 mph and the car waited until it was dangerously close to the stopped car then slammed on the brakes. I have over 12,000 miles on my car and have never experienced this before. Both were on a sunny day in areas around my house that I travel frequently.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else as it could've ended much worse for me.

I just updated my 2017 S75 to 2018.6.1 last week. Since updating, I have had two scary experiences when approaching a stopped car at a red light while in autopilot. First at around 45 mph, autopilot would very lightly tap on the brakes for what felt like a microsecond. It did this three times off/on with no significant or even minor reduction in speed. I had to take over. The second time I was doing around 35 mph and the car waited until it was dangerously close to the stopped car then slammed on the brakes. I have over 12,000 miles on my car and have never experienced this before. Both were on a sunny day in areas around my house that I travel frequently.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else as it could've ended much worse for me.

AP2 definitely cannot be trusted to stop for stopped cars at the moment. It mostly works below 35mph but is still downright scary! For now, this needs to be supervised closely, and we can only hope this dramatically improved neural net in the upcoming update will help with this.

Reactions: jtrayer and d21mike

My thought on all updates is that everybody should do a hard reset of the car after getting any update. (hold down brake and hold down both buttons on the steering wheel til everything reboots). I have had weird things happen after updates and this seemed to fix things.

I got 2018.6.1 downloaded last week. I am on a Dec 2017 MS 75D with AP 2.5. Wanted to try out the 'Coming to a stop' while on AP. The car came to a stop right behind a parked car in peak time freeway traffic from 65 mph to standstill right behind the stopped car (2 meters from the car). It braked way hard about 50 meters before stopping but until then the trajectory looked like it wasn't gonna stop. I had some run off area on the freeway and thought that just in case it doesn't stop, I can go to the runoff area after slamming the brakes (plz don't try this as it is risky). Once it came to a stop, I was really amazed that it had. I hadn't tested this before so cannot say if it worked before or not at this speed. I would not do it again and continue to take control when I see stopped cars while I am on AP.

I am not seeing any significant different with regards to vehicle control while on AP. The car tugs to the right during wide turns even if there are vehicles in the adjacent lane. I end up taking control just to be safe. [Pic below shows the car hugging to the right in the spot during my 20 miles daily freeway drive]. No complaints but just an observation that nothing drastic on the AP side after the update.
AP_Hugs_toRight_.JPG

I just updated my 2017 S75 to 2018.6.1 last week. Since updating, I have had two scary experiences when approaching a stopped car at a red light while in autopilot.

If stopping when approaching stopped cars ever worked for you (smoothly, comfortably) in the past, count yourself very fortunate. What you describe as "new" behavior is what most people have experienced for a long time. Stopping for stopped cars is surprisingly difficult for radar-based ACC systems; see this thread for my recent comments on this: Radar on Teslas

So, Tesla called me back after examining the logs to assure me it wasn’t a problem with my car (which I knew). Then she started spewing some BS about cars that are plugged in too long will overcharge and should be unplugged for a while. Hm, perhaps like an old NiCd battery? Then said it may be a glitch in the preconditioning. Okay, sure, car is at 55 degrees, Climate wasn’t on, whatever.

I also said it’s been six months and it never went below or above 77/80 when charging. Why NOW to 93? No answer. I told her to send the report to engineering (which was the only reason I called in the first place) and declined the offered SC appointment. OMG.

Anyone that has charging schedule or overcharging issues, please call the national number and report 2018.6.1. As usual, ‘this is the first report’ we’ve had about it.

BTW, unplugged car for a few hours, rebooted it, plugged it in, immediately get notification: Charging complete at 88%. So now it’s back to correct. Let’s see how long this lasts.

And to add a final comment, no, I did not reboot the car after 2018.6.1 was loaded. Perhaps a good step to take from now on!

• Funny
Reactions: Gt1948
Same experience. The car hugs the outer side of the lane despite knowing perfectly that it does even sometimes activating lane departure warning. So it's definitely not the issue of not being aware of its position but being unable to steer more into the lane...

It really sucks...

I got 2018.6.1 downloaded last week. I am on a Dec 2017 MS 75D with AP 2.5. Wanted to try out the 'Coming to a stop' while on AP. The car came to a stop right behind a parked car in peak time freeway traffic from 65 mph to standstill right behind the stopped car (2 meters from the car). It braked way hard about 50 meters before stopping but until then the trajectory looked like it wasn't gonna stop. I had some run off area on the freeway and thought that just in case it doesn't stop, I can go to the runoff area after slamming the brakes (plz don't try this as it is risky). Once it came to a stop, I was really amazed that it had. I hadn't tested this before so cannot say if it worked before or not at this speed. I would not do it again and continue to take control when I see stopped cars while I am on AP.

I am not seeing any significant different with regards to vehicle control while on AP. The car tugs to the right during wide turns even if there are vehicles in the adjacent lane. I end up taking control just to be safe. [Pic below shows the car hugging to the right in the spot during my 20 miles daily freeway drive]. No complaints but just an observation that nothing drastic on the AP side after the update. View attachment 284464

Interesting thing this AM. Woke up and my car is charged to 93%. It’s never been above 80 except for one road trip when I set it to 100 to test road trip charging and sure didn’t change it recently. Only change has been 6.1. Anyone else seeing cars running past the limits? Usually it goes between 77 and 80. Note it’s plugged in 24/7 to a HPWC and set to 80, no schedule.
So, Tesla called me back after examining the logs to assure me it wasn’t a problem with my car (which I knew). Then she started spewing some BS about cars that are plugged in too long will overcharge and should be unplugged for a while. Hm, perhaps like an old NiCd battery? Then said it may be a glitch in the preconditioning. Okay, sure, car is at 55 degrees, Climate wasn’t on, whatever. I also said it’s been six months and it never went below or above 77/80 when charging. Why NOW to 93? No answer. I told her to send the report to engineering (which was the only reason I called in the first place) and declined the offered SC appointment. OMG. Anyone that has charging schedule or overcharging issues, please call the national number and report 2018.6.1. As usual, ‘this is the first report’ we’ve had about it. BTW, unplugged car for a few hours, rebooted it, plugged it in, immediately get notification: Charging complete at 88%. So now it’s back to correct. Let’s see how long this lasts. And to add a final comment, no, I did not reboot the car after 2018.6.1 was loaded. Perhaps a good step to take from now on!
Yes this just happened to me too on Sun 3/4/2018. I set & charge to 70% daily and it hit 93%. I use TeslaFi and it has a raw data log that showed it happening. There are various times when it was getting API errors. The API errors stopped about 00:41 (am) Mon 3/5/2018. Everything is acting/working normally now. I've never had this happen on my previous 5 firmware versions as I've only had this X since Dec 16, 2017.

Vertical lines are when the battery level was not displayed (blank / 0) because of API error.

UULAg4A.jpg

Last edited:
Yes this just happened to me too on Sun 3/4/2018. I set & charge to 70% daily and it hit 93%. I use TeslaFi and it has a raw data log that showed it happening. There are various times when it was getting API errors. The API errors stopped about 00:41 (am) Mon 3/5/2018. Everything is acting/working normally now. I've never had this happen on my previous 5 firmware versions as I've only had this X since Dec 16, 2017.

Vertical lines are when the battery level was not displayed (blank / 0) because of API error.

UULAg4A.jpg
Yep. I also got a ‘car disconnected for 30 mins’ email from TeslaFi. Walked out to the car fob in hand, car says, hi, let’s go for a ride! All awake and ready to go. Sigh...

My thought on all updates is that everybody should do a hard reset of the car after getting any update. (hold down brake and hold down both buttons on the steering wheel til everything reboots). I have had weird things happen after updates and this seemed to fix things.
Sorry für going offtopic again.
I know you can

1) reset the MCU with both scroll wheels,
2) reset the ICU with the two to buttons,
3) reset the vehicle by cutting power through the menu.

Does pressing the brake when doing 1) have a documented difference from not pressing the brake?