Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric Vehicles HOT political topic for the Australian Federal election. Prime Minister and others proving really ignorant, still in 20th Century and saying they want to "protect the weekend" and SUV 4WD vehicles.... Electric Vehicles have no GRUNT.... causing the ALP (Labor party) to show footage of a Model X towing a Qantas airplane....

ALP announced policies re 50% EV by 2030 - a policy which had appeared (until the demise of Malcolm Turnbull) to be held by the Liberals but has now been dropped in pre election debates...

Interestingly Elon Musk is obviously aware of the argument occurring in Australia. Hope he is also aware that having closed down all passenger vehicle manufacturing by 2017 - if elected the ALP will support (financial backing) new electric vehicle manufacture and battery manufacture with the resource advantages of local lithium and other ores.

Australia has plenty of facilities to offer for a Gigafactory and Tesla manufacture...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 5.16.59 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 5.16.59 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
Electric Vehicles HOT political topic for the Australian Federal election. Prime Minister and others proving really ignorant, still in 20th Century and saying they want to "protect the weekend" and SUV 4WD vehicles.... Electric Vehicles have no GRUNT.... causing the ALP (Labor party) to show footage of a Model X towing a Qantas airplane....

ALP announced policies re 50% EV by 2030 - a policy which had appeared (until the demise of Malcolm Turnbull) to be held by the Liberals but has now been dropped in pre election debates...

Interestingly Elon Musk is obviously aware of the argument occurring in Australia. Hope he is also aware that having closed down all passenger vehicle manufacturing by 2017 - if elected the ALP will support (financial backing) new electric vehicle manufacture and battery manufacture with the resource advantages of local lithium and other ores.

Australia has plenty of facilities to offer for a Gigafactory and Tesla manufacture...
Yet in the same breath labor want to increase salaries. I dont see how australia making inferior cars again and increasing salaries go hand in hand. I also do not agree with australia subsidising the manufacture of cars again.
All governments need to do is ensure that the infrastructure is growing rapidly to facilitate the innevitable changeover away from fossil fuel cars, and if they really want to throw a few billion incentives, throw it at the removal of the hideous taxes on new cars, and australians will suddenly realise that ev’s arent so expensive afterall.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
It is never as it seems (talk is cheap) with pollies. If they entered the conversation with how they were going to embrace all the new technology by adding it into the mix of their due diligence and expert analyses before spending our money on things of the past, it would at least be seen to be doing things progressively and widen the debate. All that happens now is the money is spent mostly where the perceived votes for them will come from.

It is never as it seems (talk is cheap) with pollies. If they entered the conversation with how they were going to embrace all the new technology by adding it into the mix of their due diligence and expert analyses before spending our money on things of the past, it would at least be seen to be doing things progressively and widen the debate. All that happens now is the money is spent mostly where the perceived votes for them will come from.
Like the Avatar pic BTW.
Anyway, as for politics I’m actually surprised and heartened to see any politician in this backward-arse country come out in support of green technology.
The coalition have been woefully backward for too long and I think it’s going to hurt them in May. The real shame is that there’s money in green tech, and the coalition seem to be ideological rather than fiscal in their objections.

• Informative
Reactions: Solar Aussie
RHD configurator in the next few weeks!!!

Sweet!!

It's a shame the $35k model 3 has now been dropped :rolleyes:. But that's Tesla.....

As much as I love them, it's quite a disorganised mess.
- RWD Long Range was released a long time ago, then dropped. Then recently brought back again, and now dropped.
- $35k Model 3 released just recently, now dropped. It'll now include Autopilot as standard for $2k instead of $3k. Which suits me fine, since I was going to get it anyway.
- Referral Program was dropped, but brought back in a new format shortly after.
- Stores were all to be closed. Then most deicided to be kept open shortly after.

Sweet!!

It's a shame the $35k model 3 has now been dropped :rolleyes:. But that's Tesla.....

As much as I love them, it's quite a disorganised mess.
- RWD Long Range was released a long time ago, then dropped. Then recently brought back again, and now dropped.
- $35k Model 3 released just recently, now dropped. It'll now include Autopilot as standard for $2k instead of $3k. Which suits me fine, since I was going to get it anyway.
- Referral Program was dropped, but brought back in a new format shortly after.
- Stores were all to be closed. Then most deicided to be kept open shortly after.

"disorganised mess" ??? That is too kind to describe what's been going on in the last 6 months....Ice drug addicts tripping on LSD are more stable.

The car is not even out yet in ANY RHD market yet the price and inclusions seem to change more than the daily weather. Just today Elon announced that Full Service Driving is about to get a "significant" price rise from May 1 and that apparently that price will continue to rise into the future as Elon now sees the car as an "appreciating asset"...

I love elon and his crew but if I am now starting to doubt I will now bother buying a Model 3, what does the general public who has no brand allegiance will do? The average person wants stability....nothing out of Tesla in the last 6 months suggests that..

• Funny
Reactions: tom_kauf
This is not unique to Tesla. Car dealerships change their prices all the time, including when you talk to them in person. Airline prices change wildly based on demand on a daily to hourly basis. Most shops have intermittent sales in the ballpark of 20-50% usually without warning. The difference for Tesla is there seems to be so much interest in their relatively small price fluctuations.

"disorganised mess" ??? That is too kind to describe what's been going on in the last 6 months....Ice drug addicts tripping on LSD are more stable.

The car is not even out yet in ANY RHD market yet the price and inclusions seem to change more than the daily weather. Just today Elon announced that Full Service Driving is about to get a "significant" price rise from May 1 and that apparently that price will continue to rise into the future as Elon now sees the car as an "appreciating asset"...

I love elon and his crew but if I am now starting to doubt I will now bother buying a Model 3, what does the general public who has no brand allegiance will do? The average person wants stability....nothing out of Tesla in the last 6 months suggests that..
Tesla is annoying, but once you actually have the car it's wonderful. Just remember not to look at forums after you buy it and see how much cheaper or what amazing features you missed by 3 days...