Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is great....the company is like a dodgy Ebay seller who sold you an item and then cut off all communication once it was delivered and you are just sending email after email hoping for a miracle to happen..
Don't you mean never started communication at all, randomly delayed delivery by months and then delayed again?

Actually they are more like a really badly run Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign, where the constant dear is the your item might just never show up and that you would be stuck with the bill and no product.

For those wondering about the delivery times for model 3 pushing out to next year I think there are 2 main reasons.

1- the US tax credit finishes this year so US sales will be very high, maybe even higher than Q4 last year.

2- the Netherlands, which once again is having a tax change at the end of this year, sales in Q4 could be more than 20K. The sales surge may have just started (as per the uptick on the red graph below), note last quarter was already very high for Tesla in the Netherlands.

These sales need to be delivered this quarter so deliveries to other countries will be pushed to early next year. For anyone investing I expect the shorts to have a big push in Feb saying the Jan sales are low and demand has dried up, actually lots of cars will be in transit like normal.

Q4 will be huge for Tesla.

EV Sales: Netherlands

View attachment 472658

Just a quick update it seems the Netherlands is taking lots of Tesla’s till the end of the year.

96ADE3F9-2C82-44A9-860C-98D7685F9C60.jpeg

We drove a P3D- and a P3D+ 440kms to an EV show in Geraldton from South Perth last Friday and confirm that the P3D- is much more efficient.
Both could have driven there without charging (both in fact had a loo/coffee/charge break for 30mins), but we estimate the P3D+ would have to drive 20kph below the relevant speed limits.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
New Zealand Sales for October
October 2019 = 89 YTD = 629
Model S = 1 YTD = 50
Model 3 = 82 YTD = 501
Model X = 6 YTD = 78

I cannot find this already posted, but apologies if it is a duplicate:
Only about 134 Teslas imported to Australia in October, which gives a total of about 2,246 in three months.
Once delivered, the total number of Teslas on the road in Australia will be 5,788, up from a total of 3,542 before Model 3 deliveries started.
Less Re-exports and Write-offs.

Does anybody know how you remove the Under Repair badge on a charger in Plugshare? The one at Forest Hill is up and running finally, thanks to Jim at Chargefox who has been hassling the shopping centre to get it fixed.

View attachment 474776
Someone Checked In today and successfully charged and that seems to have removed the under repair notification.

Reactions: TaylorP and PCC1
I finally got around to unboxing my Tesla front and rear trunk all weather mats. In my opinion they look great and after you get them straightened out they're easy enough to install.

If anyone is on the fence about buying them and wants to see them I made a quick video on them here -

Reactions: Sparty93
Will test it the next time I get a new batch of sentry clips that I need to copy off and see if/how it changes over time.

Finally tested the aircon power usage. Did it at night so it wouldn't have been under much stress. Ambient temp around 24C, interior temp read the same. I sat in the passenger seat and used the app to turn the aircon on. Aircon was set to 22C, auto mode. Screen was left off. The car is plugged in to the wall charger, and on standby to start charging at 8:00am the next day.

I used the Tesla app (Powerwall section) to monitor power consumption. As a baseline, with me sitting in the car and the aircon off the house pulls around 400W.

Screenshot_20191109-201850.png

Started the test at 8:22pm by turning the aircon on via the app; this increases power usage by about 2kW.

Screenshot_20191109-202203.png

It didn't take long for the interior temperature to stabilize at 22C. As it ran, the power consumption would fluctuate somewhat but only rarely would it drop below about 1.5kW. And when it did, only very briefly. Kind of like this:

Screenshot_20191109-203025.png

...and then 12 seconds later:

Screenshot_20191109-203037.png

After ~15 minutes this pattern hadn't changed. I switched the aircon off at 8:40pm and the house went back to its baseline power usage:

Screenshot_20191109-204005.png

Screenshot_20191109-204109.png

So in theory you can gain about 10% in range by keeping the A/C off (assuming you drive the car for ~4 hours at ~100kph, you'll end up spending 6-8kWh on aircon). That seems to align with my actual driving experience, as I get a reported average of ~170Wh/km with the aircon on and ~150 Wh/km with it off (for local driving on approximately the same routes).

For comparison, here's what my 7.4kW split-system/inverter aircon looks like when switched on during a warm January day:

inverter_aircon_usage.jpg

It definitely pulls a higher peak load than the Model 3 (~4.5kW), but then settles in at the same consumption (or slightly better, at ~1.3 kW after accounting for baseline usage) to cool a much larger area under much warmer conditions.

If anyone is interested I can graph the Model 3 A/C using the same tool (just have to redo the test during the day; the Enphase thing can't see nightime consumption because of the Tesla batteries).

Finally tested the aircon power usage... Started the test at 8:22pm by turning the aircon on via the app; this increases power usage by about 2kW.
Tesla has the world’s most efficient BEV drivetrain, but boy, they really need to work on their A/C system efficiency. 2 kW is nuts to cool a car cabin. As indicated earlier, the LEAF uses only 500-750W to cool, and does a perfectly good and quick job of it.

Tesla has the world’s most efficient BEV drivetrain, but boy, they really need to work on their A/C system efficiency. 2 kW is nuts to cool a car cabin. As indicated earlier, the LEAF uses only 500-750W to cool, and does a perfectly good and quick job of it.

Yes that's pretty astoundingly terrible. We have a 2.5kw Daikin US7 in our house that draws around 700W to cool a 40sqm well insulated living room easily. I realise a car has a fair bit of single glazed glass and not well insulated metal but the tests were done when the ambient temp wasnt even high.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
That was me, and it is still saying Under Repair on Plugshare.
If you have an Android, there should be a notification to “indicate charger is open” and that should get the wrench removed. If you dont know, click “edit” and “report an innacuracy”. Probably wont work right away, you might have to wait until Monday.

Repeated the A/C test this morning. Ambient/interior temp was 27C when I started. Car was parked in the garage. I wasn't sitting in the car this time (should make cooling the cabin a bit easier). Aircon still set to 22C, auto mode. Took only a few minutes to bring the interior temp down

Confirmed that the power consumption is basically a flat/sustained ~1.5kW load whenever the A/C is running.

Enphase (15 minute sampling interval):
model3_aircon_usage.jpg

Pvoutput (5 minute sampling interval):
model3_aircon_usage_pvoutput.png

Lots of room for improvement here.

I guess your assuming the same aircon current drain / algorithm when plugged in and when on the road which may not be the case.

That's correct. Could be it operates differently when unplugged, though in terms of what can be observed by sitting in the car it doesn't seem like being plugged in puts it into "overdrive" mode or anything. The cooling feels the same whether on A/C power or battery.

You need to measure current drain of aircon while driving to confirm.

Or perhaps better, unplug it, leave parked in the garage, and run the aircon for awhile and see how many %/hour come off the battery?

That's correct. Could be it operates differently when unplugged, though in terms of what can be observed by sitting in the car it doesn't seem like being plugged in puts it into "overdrive" mode or anything. The cooling feels the same whether on A/C power or battery.

Or perhaps better, unplug it, leave parked in the garage, and run the aircon for awhile and see how many %/hour come off the battery?

You need to remember that the car uses an AC to DC rectifier to provide shore power. If you were actually curious you could also use scan my Tesla using the canbus connections. Alternatively on the other forums people have investigated this already. I wouldn’t care too much about AC use. The car is capable of great range without worrying about this.