Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get too caught up on the power number, keep in mind that a model S is less efficient, so even though 17 or 22 kW sounds like a lot more, in km/h an 11 kW three phase charge on a model 3 is still more than adequate.

posted yesterday, but here it is again: https://i.imgur.com/jgW6Clj.png

Rough guesstimates
model 3 @ 11 kW approx 65 km/h range. (170 Wh/km)
model s @ 17 kW approx 90 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)
model s @ 22 kW approx 110 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)

In all scenarios you can get way more than your daily requirements during off peak or solar periods.
There is slightly more to that charging limitation depending on the model you get. The 11.5KW charger is in the Long Range Model 3. If you happen to get SR+ or SR you will be limited to 7.7KW onboard charger:
Onboard Charger
Wall Connector
So in many situations finding a supercharger might be preferable if you cannot charge at home.

Don't get too caught up on the power number, keep in mind that a model S is less efficient, so even though 17 or 22 kW sounds like a lot more, in km/h an 11 kW three phase charge on a model 3 is still more than adequate.

posted yesterday, but here it is again: https://i.imgur.com/jgW6Clj.png

Rough guesstimates
model 3 @ 11 kW approx 65 km/h range. (170 Wh/km)
model s @ 17 kW approx 90 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)
model s @ 22 kW approx 110 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)

In all scenarios you can get way more than your daily requirements during off peak or solar periods.

The car charges with 11kW. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. Getting cought up in this number is fairly important if you connect the car to your 22kw AC charger and hope to have a full battery in 3-4h. How many km you get out of those 11kW is irrelevant and depends on driving style and efficiency.

Also 170 wh/km at 65kmh is unrealistically high. At 90 km/h model 3 will use around 130-140wh/km.

The car charges with 11kW. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. Getting cought up in this number is fairly important if you connect the car to your 22kw AC charger and hope to have a full battery in 3-4h. How many km you get out of those 11kW is irrelevant and depends on driving style and efficiency.

Also 170 wh/km at 65kmh is unrealistically high. At 90 km/h model 3 will use around 130-140wh/km.
No, the important thing is driving distance per hour of charging.
Those are the two things you do: drive a certain distance, and wait for a certain time for charging.
The Model 3 effectively charges faster than the Model S if they are both charging at 11kW.
And besides, you don’t empty the battery before charging. This is another petrol mindset. If you are on a slow charger (power point) you should probably charge every day (eg from 80% to 90%). If you have a wall connector you might let it down to 50% before charging. It would then take 2 or 3 hrs to get back to 90%.
My usual habit with my 11kW charger is plug in when the car gets down to 50%, usually once or twice a week.

Reactions: baillies
Ah, it’s not so much a cannonball run.... it’s a celebration of code capable of requiring zero input, which probably will be allowed.... just one driver in the driver seat!

We don’t need superchargers! Just some nice activists with fun ideas.... why the heck not?

My S does 25A 3 phase or about 17kW. I set the car to start charging at 1130pm and usually have a notification about 1215am that charging is complete. If I've taken it down to 10% and want to go to 100% that takes about 5 hours. If my car charged half as fast I'd still likely fully charge in all scenarios overnight. Also an Sr+ has a battery almost half the size of mine so you still end up fully charged in a short 5-6 hour window. I really can't see why people are worried.

My S does 25A 3 phase or about 17kW. I set the car to start charging at 1130pm and usually have a notification about 1215am that charging is complete. If I've taken it down to 10% and want to go to 100% that takes about 5 hours. If my car charged half as fast I'd still likely fully charge in all scenarios overnight. Also an Sr+ has a battery almost half the size of mine so you still end up fully charged in a short 5-6 hour window. I really can't see why people are worried.
I don't know if it's useful, but I aim to set my car charging to finish around 6am, so the battery is a bit warmer when I jump into it. Might make no difference, I still do it, though :)

The car charges with 11kW. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I understand the power value and what it means and my point is that the power supplied is less important than the range per time charged. The model 3, regardless of how it is driven is a very efficient vehicle and the benefit of that is realised by the time you need to plug in.

Time required to charge is far more important than power level.

When I say "model 3 @ 11 kW approx 65 km/h range. (170 Wh/km)" I don't mean at a driving speed of 65 km/h, I mean a charging speed of 65km of range per hour of charge.

The 11.5KW charger is in the Long Range Model 3. If you happen to get SR+ or SR you will be limited to 7.7KW onboard charger:

Good to know!

Being a M3 reservation holder...Can I get my own referral code now prior and do I need to organise it before the M3 order page goes live?
I saw the previous link but that all looked kind of dodgy..
can anyone help on this one?
I'll be very surprised if they let you use your own referral code to order the Model 3, unless you're an existing S/X/Roadster owner of course...? I'll be using my own code, but I own an S already.

Recommend getting a code off an existing owner, of course happy to provide mine, but I'm sure you know other owners that would be more deserving!

I'll be very surprised if they let you use your own referral code to order the Model 3, unless you're an existing S/X/Roadster owner of course...? I'll be using my own code, but I own an S already.
I have a Powerwall 2 and this appears to carry a referral code which I assume I can use for myself. So it may be existing owners of S/X/Roadster/Powerwall2.

• Informative
Reactions: rohan_aus
No, the important thing is driving distance per hour of charging.
Those are the two things you do: drive a certain distance, and wait for a certain time for charging.
The Model 3 effectively charges faster than the Model S if they are both charging at 11kW.
And besides, you don’t empty the battery before charging. This is another petrol mindset. If you are on a slow charger (power point) you should probably charge every day (eg from 80% to 90%). If you have a wall connector you might let it down to 50% before charging. It would then take 2 or 3 hrs to get back to 90%.
My usual habit with my 11kW charger is plug in when the car gets down to 50%, usually once or twice a week.

You would normally modulate your driving speed so that you can reach the next charging point. i.e. drive 140kmh or 90kmh (the optimal speed atm with superchargers is around 170kmh with the model 3 i think). The driving range is therefore not as relevant as the charging speed vs kw consumption of the car. If i need a full battery driving in areas without super chargers 11kw also tells you exactly how long it takes for you to fill your battery to i.e. 90% or even 100%.
Km tells you jack *sugar*.

Recommend getting a code off an existing owner, of course happy to provide mine, but I'm sure you know other owners that would be more deserving!

Wow, it was like someone at Tesla was watching my post on this forum! I just logged into my tesla reservation account and the account been just been updated and I have been given my referral code! Crazy coincidence or simply the best service :)

Must be getting close now.....